Sign in to follow this  
threexgreen

trueSKY is Amazing (16 Pictures)

I wanna wrap myself in these clouds when I go to bed tonight. trueSKY clouds are nothing short of amazing and it's what I've been waiting for to come to any of our sims for a long time. I can only emphasize how much of an understatement the initial trailer of the sim was. I was disappointed back then but playing with the new atmospherics myself is dropping mouth-watering results. Can't wait to see what Active Sky will be able to do with trueSKY.

This is vanilla P3D v5. Sliders all the way to the right with a few exceptions for shadow settings. VRAM was rather stable at 4.1 to 4.3 GB, no matter how many clouds. FPS stayed around 80 for the most part with slight outliers up and down of around 10.

I varied the amount of clouds layers and at some point piled 6 layers on top of one another, so I don't know where the rumor came from that trueSKY restricts the number of clouds layers to 2.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg10.jpg11.jpg23.jpg13.jpg15.jpg19.jpg18.jpg21.jpg22.jpg

Edited by threegreen
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 5

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

WOW ...I Agree,Spectacular!! 

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Im going to have to call a spade a spade here.  Those look awful imo.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot_zps560238d1.jpg

Some great shots there!

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

1 hour ago, Mack84 said:

Im going to have to call a spade a spade here.  Those look awful imo.

I don't think they all look awful, the overcast sky with green field more or less in the middle of the selection of pictures looks fairly convincing, but I have to agree that some of them don't look very good at all.

An obvious issue with the first picture, and to varying extent with the others, is the fact that the ground doesn't look at all like it belongs with a sky with that much orange, yellow and red light bouncing around owing to atmospheric scattering. In such a situation, the ground is not going to be getting the full electromagnetic spectrum of visible light waves, so it shouldn't look like it is lit up like it would be when the sun is up high above the horizon, so it ends up looking a bit like an clumsy Photoshop job.

Do a Google search with the term 'sunset aerial shot' and you'll see what I mean from the pics which show up. The ground is in most cases either considerably darker, or is lit with a very apparent sunlit tones, since it too is picking up the bounced red, orange and yellow wavelengths.

There is no doubt that TruSky can look good in the right circumstances, and the way it simulates clouds and atmospheric action is quite evidently more sophisticated than what has gone before, but there is obviously still some way to go before it gets all the visuals right and especially the lighting conditions on the ground.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Uh... it's called TrueSKY... not TrueGROUND.  While the lighting on the ground may be questionable... we're actually talking about the SKY... not the GROUND.

• Upvote 3

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

This is the biggest reason why I am keeping P3Dv5, even though I originally planned only to support MSFS going forward...

It may be lipstick on a pig, but it is a very good looking one.

• Upvote 3

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

4th from the bottom is rather convincing (maybe too much bloom?). I flew a couple of hours yesterday from the local airfield and encountered similar cloud scape.

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you will never please all of the people all of the time! Has never rung truer than within the flightsim community.🤪

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Sky by itself may look decent if you disregard the ground, but overall the lighting in these shots seems rather off. To my eyes this seems inferior to what could be done and has been done on other sims. 

Edited by MagentaChild

6 hours ago, WarpD said:

Uh... it's called TrueSKY... not TrueGROUND.  While the lighting on the ground may be questionable... we're actually talking about the SKY... not the GROUND.

Yes, I'm aware of that obviously, but unless one is prepared to accept the fallacious notion that light levels and tones caused by atmospheric conditions have absolutely no bearing on what our planet looks like as you fly around it, then it is hardly a true sky either, is it?

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

13 hours ago, Mack84 said:

I'm going to have to call a spade a spade here.  Those look awful imo.

While I agree with you we have to remember that it's called TrueSKY so that's what it must look like in real life. Otherwise it they wouldn't have called TrueSKY would they? Common sense. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I really don't think some of you appreciate what you've been given in V5. This cloud and atmospheric condition implementation is far better than any that came before in FS9/FSX/ESP/P3D sims. I don't think Xplane or Aerofly FS2 ever got close to this out of the box, perhaps with addons. The only comparison really is MSFS2020 which will probably be better, but you are getting a taste here already.

I'd be quite interested to hear which sims do it better, as IMHO with a couple of thousand hours of flying in the cockpit under my belt, it is immersive as all heck compared to bitmap and sprite clouds from yesteryear. And anyone expecting immediate perfection from a heavily modified 15 year old engine needs to adjust their expectations.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FlyingBubbles said:

Is it just me or is there just one type of cloud which looks the same everywhere?

The banding on the sky isn’t convincing either.