Sign in to follow this  
ttbq1

FlyTheMaddogx Announcement

Form the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/FlythemaddogXpilots/announcements :

"P3D v5 hotfix 1 improved vram management compared to first release, but it's not enough when it comes to handle complex demanding addons. The problem borns with the choice of switching to DX12: on one side there are benefits for sure (and you can see them with the increased fps average), but memory management isn't provided by the directx environment itself anymore, like it was in DX11 (just to make an example, when you went out of vram in 4.5, fps dropped because gpu/vram data feed was sent to cpu/ram instead as a 'recovery action', which is a considerably slower bus but kinda a lifebelt: that's the typical case of fps drop with too many dynamic lts, that usually have a huge footprint on vram)... but, at least, the software couldn't crash no matter what. And that's the explaination why 4.5 is so stable. So today memory management has become a critical task in the gaming industry development when using DX12, and it must be coded very well to not overflow card limits' in accordance of the minimum system requirements: now you have more performance firing power for sure, but no lifebelt.

P3D v5 consumes a lot of vram in DX12 environment, consider truesky option alone eats about 1Gb vram when enabled... and if you add a complex aircraft like the Maddog, (that even if it performs well on cpu makes extensive use of dynamic lighting and is full PBR rendered in 4K so it has a considerable vram footprint) + add-on sceneries and all other ecosystem addons we are used to in 4.5, well consider you will need at least a 8gb vram video card, or the chances of getting an OOM are 100% just after hitting the 'create scenario' button; but don't think 8gb is enough and safe, the OOM could be just about the corner if you start playing with views or start doing other tasks in windows 10 while flying, or have set settings sliders all the way to the right like in v4.5.
By our side, the Maddog is almost ready and we're just waiting for the official v5 trueglass release, meanwhile we are working on an extensive optimization process trying to save resources where possible, without compromising the quality of the product. IMHO today this should be a task each single developer should consider doing, instead of just providing existing v4.5 addons with updated v5 paths. This will become evident once all the liners, more demanding than simpler aircraft like the Maddog, will be released for v5.
We are confident something will improve anyway, there's also the new 2004 Windows 10 release mid May that *should* reduce by approx 1Gb system's VAS footprint, which is good because that extra free room could be occupied by P3D and this could make the difference between a happy flight or OOM 10nm on final. But the rest is all on LM hands, until a better optimized version is released it's all about owning a 8gb video card, tweaking and trying different settings to not exceed vram limits, and you will most likely have to make hard choices: decrease your addons quality (switching from 4k to 2k i.e. where possible, we will provide that possibility as we already do with v4.5) or moving P3D sliders to the left and lower overall graphic qyality, and find your own balance. Or buying a 11gb card of course.
But for the reasons explained in this long post (sorry) the mimum system requirements for the Maddog v5 version are: I5 CPU or equivalent, 8Gb RAM, 8Gb GPU, Windows 10 64bit. As for today's situation any video card with lower vram availble leads to 100% chances of OOMs."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU

Holy F

What the hell - we left 32 bit sims to void OOMs and low and behold it is right back again in a different form - this time the culprit is VRAM.  LM needs to do something about this.  If they think 8gb is not enough, this is just plain messed up.

Edited by Skywolf
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Not surprised at all. 8 GB of video RAM is kind of a standard these days. If I were looking for a new card, I would choose a 11 GB one, anyway.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Just now, edpatino said:

Not surprised at all. 8 GB of video RAM is kind of a standard these days. If I were looking for a new card, I would choose a 11 GB one, anyway.

Cheers, Ed

I wouldn't be surprised that even 11gb is not enough once one moves the sliders to the right.

• Like 2

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

How to add video memory?

EVGA 2080 Ti  FTW3 Hybrid , 8700K, 2Tb 970 EVO Plus, 48 Гб HyperX

MSFS 2020 Tech Alpha Insider

Definitely not surprising, I'm sure they aren't the first developer to hit this hurdle early on.

• Like 1

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

5 minutes ago, BMW969 said:

How to add video memory?

...is that a serious question?

• Like 2

I appreciate their transparency.  I'm happy that i have an 11gb card.  For my limited tests with V5 all has been good for me, and the improvement in performance is easily noticed.  I'm optimistic about the future.  I know in the future though, developers will continue pushing the envelope and we will need better and newer technology in our rigs to keep with it.  I think that MSFS will eventually move to DX12 and will have the same issues.  So this is just part of our future.  I really hope that the 3080ti is a quantum leap in terms of VRAM.  Some things suggest it will only be 12, and others 16+.  We will see.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

18 minutes ago, BMW969 said:

How to add video memory?

Buy a new graphics card...

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

14 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

...is that a serious question?

Not everyone is that tech-savvy you know.

21 minutes ago, BMW969 said:

How to add video memory?

The only option is to buy a new card with more VRAM. In case you contemplate buying one, I'd suggest to wait a few months for the new cards to arrive (unless you really want to/have to upgrade).

• Upvote 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

59 minutes ago, BMW969 said:

How to add video memory?

Your specs say you have an EVGA 2080Ti! Those I have seen for sale have 11gig of GDDR6 on-board. I don't think they make them any bigger.

Edited by SierraHotel

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Lucky me I have 16gb

P3D with true sky uses 10.5 @4k so enough for the maddog left

Edited by 331BK

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

5 minutes ago, 331BK said:

Lucky me I have 16gb

P3D with true sky uses 10.5 @4k so enough for the maddog left

And what card are you using with 16gb?

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

Radeon vii watercooled.  

Everything nice as soon as amd fixes the driver issues with the view switching 

Edited by 331BK

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

Now... why on earth would i ever want 4096x4096 textures in an airport or aircraft? Developers complain, but they're the first ones to go overboard. I have the hardware and still convert most stuff to 2048x2048 because i really find it ridiculous to have such high resolution in such small areas. I never zoom in that close anyway. Meh </rant>.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11