Sign in to follow this  
anden145

I'm done; and I'm out!

21 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

They could be natural fish markings Ron ... let me get my flight physics book out and I'll get back to you with a video!  🙂

But at least I know you haven't added me to your ignore list yet Ron ... yet!

Cheers, Rob.

Y'know, I don't have an ignore list. I do have a lengthy 'rolling eyes' list though. Come to think of it, I'm on that one. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Where are the bloody smilies when you want one? 😣

Edited by Ron Attwood
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

7 hours ago, anden145 said:

Hi all,After watching these - lets call them debates, in various threads, for awhile now, and I've been thinking of whether or not I should say something... Since my previous posts in here, have been met with anger and condescention, I've had my reasons just to stay clear... But I'll stick my neck out, in the expectation of being decapitated... 

I tend to agree with most of your post. As other helpful people in this thread has mentioned already, you could use the ignore list feature to ban from you those people who are not helpful, respectful enough or are not bringing any positive or constructive comments.

I like very much this place, as it contains tons of information useful for all involved. The amount of knowledge and experience that has been accumulated over the years is all concentrated here and it would be a loss not thinking about using it.

There's also, as other members have already mentioned too, the fact that we've been quarantined for more than two months now, and the tolerance level is not at its highest position. As, hopefully soon, we'll return back to normal, people will start to change the attitude and tend to be more respectful and polite.

Cheers, Ed

Edited by 188AHC
Pruned quote
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Almost every forum topic brings out two or more points of view.  That's how discussions work.  But sometimes people hold so dear to their own point of view that they get a bit out of hand.  That invites a warning.  Name calling and intimating a person is part of a conspiracy or worse should also invite a warning.  Drifting off topic is natural.  someone will say something in a post not meaning to change the subject but someone will pick up on it and reply to the unintended reference.  But that's how conversations go.

I was a high school debater and sometimes I had to defend something I was against.  I find myself doing it here sometimes just to try to generate more interest.  I also have a sarcastic streak.  I love one-liners and that sometimes puts people off.

The coronavirus thread started becoming repetitive and arguments started becoming a bit more heated and it was time for it to go away.  Bob recognized that and did the right thing.

I did get one warning on the coronavirus thread.  It was warranted.  But I'm going nowhere unless I get banned for some reason. And that has happened before.

Noel

Edited by birdguy
  • Like 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

I did the same on Facebook. Left it for two months when the extreme positions on the current situation became hard to tolerate. After all, most of the "friends" there are real acquaintances. 

The cute animal videos brought me back.

No, seriously I think that the exchange of ideas, as controversial as they may be, belong to our nature. 

Let's stay on here and enjoy what we like. And when we sometimes clash about an issue, as long as it's a fair fight that should be ok. 

Give it a second thought, Anders. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hans

This tends to be the trend nowadays on social media and forums more and more toxic, if you do not fit the narrative or agree beware, I do not use social media apps for that reason and I`m thinking of dumping twitter.                                                                                                                           

Edited by G-RFRY
  • Like 2

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

His avatar is a Star Trek Pog or something. They were really famous with the kids a movie or so back.

24 minutes ago, KenG said:

His avatar is a Star Trek Pog or something. They were really famous with the kids a movie or so back.

And it's a well known fact that Pogs have nostrils. Boom tish!

Unfortunately, I share a number of your observations. At least partially, it may be related to simulator competition (some call it "war") which was poisoned at times before MSFS entered the stage and became even more so afterwards.

However, that's all relative. I just left a couple of German flightsim forums which I was posting in for several years. Manners in those forums became even more hateful than here (yes, it's possible, even though they are formally "moderated" as well). Thus, I found AVSIM still the friendlier and more informative place and will go on contributing here.

Personally, I find you're a loss to the AVSIM community and would like to see you again.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I was told by some wise person a long time ago that if you want to be polite and avoid an argument when you get together with people, don't discuss religion or politics. 

This is why I understand that AVSIM moderators censor comments that are religious or political in nature.

Unfortunately, some folks can't help inserting their religion or politics into a discussion about almost anything, or they engage in name-calling and insults.  Then you get someone like me who feels compelled to respond to those comments, and the discussion can quickly get heated.

Does this mean that I'm out?  Of course not.  The AVSIM forums are overwhelmingly friendly and helpful, and even if there is some negativity, or disagreements, or debates, well, I happen to enjoy discussing and debating.

Dave

Edited by dave2013
Changed wording
  • Upvote 2

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

I been reading your recent activity to detect any discussion that made you feel unconfortable, I interpret that you been involved in a discussion with @Tuskin38 who supports evidence that there wont be a subscription model in the new MFS and you think that the game involves a lot of parameters to be streamed and you are suspicious about the fact that there could or should be a subscription model, and basically you didnt like how the discussion evolved.

Well I think Tuskin is right, there is enough evidence there wont be a subscription model, however I do think there will be microtransactions cause we already seen in one of the episodes a marketplace tab in the menu.

@anden145 in my opinion you shouldnt leave this community and you are free to believe there will be a subscription model, and you are free to ignore any user including myself, however you should consider that maps, clouds, emails, search engines so forth and so on, are expensive to maintain too and Google gives all this for free, so there is a big chance there wont be any subscription model, a small company would do this to survive but MS is too big and their products are big too and they have enough juice to do this and seek a long term profit.

This is a community, not a friend club, people can be direct if they disagree with you and you and you are free to interact with who ever you like and thats it.

On 5/29/2020 at 11:55 AM, anden145 said:

I wonder when AVSIM has gotten to the point of being a group of bitter, sour, grumpy psychophants. Who only sees things in the most negative light, are constantly critical to the point of it being ridiculous, IMO.

Well it comes in waves (cycles), the most recent one was actually around 2008 when PMDG released the NGX.  The things I saw done and the people I saw do them... if I told you, you'd change your mind about all sorts of things in the flight sim world and the ones of you who care about the flight sim community would be so angry  you'd see stars and poop blood for weeks. Thankfully, a very few people know what I'm talking about and we're leaving that in the past (so don't ask, all that is important is that it was yet another "cycle").

Now we have MSFS coming and out in our community the bats in the belfry are going berserk all over again. This is far from flattering and every time it happens and I could write a book about the damage it causes to the flight simulation genre and community itself. Seems to be the way things are today, nobody cares about leadership and mentorship, and nobody is responsible or accountable - and to this end I say that all social media is at the very least a partial reflection on what is happening in our homes and societies in which we live and work, and I believe some of the issues I've seen as of late are at least partial venting of the frustrations everyone is dealing with.

My dear friends, it takes a village. 

15 years or so ago I suggested to Tom Allensworth create a new position here at AVSIM, that of "Community Mentor", and several years later I made the same suggestion to Jim Young.  I recommended that Mentors be selected from the knowledgeable users who also had a history of getting along with people, and by leading by example and dealing with people one-on-one they could help change the tone of people's views and how they dwelt with others, leading to overall less toxic posts and threads. Neither of them felt it would be a good idea at the time, but I not only still believe in this I implemented it elsewhere and you know what?  It worked, and it changed the entire tone of a forum similar to what the OP is writing about.

My friend Rob Ainscough is a blessing to any flight sim community he is part of and would be a terrific mentor. Though I do not know them personally, I also believe Anders (the OP), Mark Robinson (HighBypass), Father Bill, and really too many people to list would all make great Mentors. They certainly have earned my respect over the years.

Using real names isn't usually a problem, and you'll notice that many good natured people do so here at AVSIM (like some of those I said would be great Mentors).  Even so, there is the rare mentally disturbed person who comes into our community and it wasn't so very long ago that a few of us, good natured as we are, actually received death threats. Two of us actually met the threatening party in Las Vegas a few years ago, and well, it was really something.  But both of us continue to use our real names and in many years of doing so that was the only incident I've seen.  Still, I don't recommend everyone use their real names, but I do recomend people post like everyone knows who they are and where they live.  Let me explain why.  First, it's good for the community, but there is a far more better and far more personal reason for you to do so.

1. You want to REALLY know who someone is?  What type of person they are?  See how they act when they think nobody is looking.  You think companies, employers are aware of this simple wisdom?  You betcha!

2. Nobody posting in ANY social media is actually anonymous.  Sorry, too bad, so sad, you just aren't and it was a mistake to think that you ever were.  You are a very simple algorithm based search away from having everything you've ever posted online profiled and you being assigned a score much like your credit score. And yes, I'm sure.

If you will join the work force someday, are already in the work place and might apply for a promotion, change departments, fields or employers someday, then you need to be aware that the company or government you will one day apply to is going to pay about $25 to $150 dollars to have one of now many companies screen you online and through AI and many other tools they will find and read most of your posts. This is already saving companies a lot of money and some pretty big headaches.  Moreover, it doesn't matter if someone gets concerned about what they've posted and asks for their account to be removed because of a little thing called Data Centers which constantly index and save all social media posts around the world. Guess where the companies who profile you pull their data?  Yep, you guessed it. Not only existing social media sites, but data centers.  Starting to get the picture? Hey, do NOT shoot the messenger, and argue this all you want as it will fall on deaf ears.  It make take a few years, and the person may never know why they didn't get a job or promotion, but there you are.  Someone can argue, kick, scream and throw a fit, but it won't change this.  Oh, and I LOVE the "my country has laws to prevent this".  Well..... do those laws apply to where every data center in the world is located?  Of course not.

Should you be concerned?  I suppose that depends on the type of person you are and what you've posted, but I must tell you that I'm really happy that people's futures will be affected by what they do.  See, back in the day when I walked to school barefoot in the snow (metaphor), we lived our lives and gauged one another by their willingness to accept responsibility and at the very least how they accepted accountability for their own actions. Today, though they never may know why, there is a good chance people will be held accountable for that they do when they think they are anonymous, regardless of they accept it or not.

There is even more I could tell you about how we're all monitored out on the street... in fact I could tell you loads more, but that is for another time.

So Anders my friend, please stick around and when you see the nonsense you wrote about, smile and say out loud... "too bad, so sad, my would be social media anarchist".   😉

Edited by DaveCT2003
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

To some flight sim is a religion to others like me a hobby not to be taken too seriously.

Edited by G-RFRY
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

3 hours ago, KenG said:

A  study published in Psychology Today found that likes on social media created an endorphin rush that was equivalent to crack cocaine.

The problem with this conclusion, is that if the people who did the study were so familiar with the rush that crack gives you, that they were able to make a comparison, then with them being crackheads, you'd have to question their judgment.  🤣

On a more serious note. but also on the subject of being able to make a judgement, the fact is there have to be some @ssholes in the world, otherwise we would have no benchmark against which to judge, in order to know who the nice people are. You can't have a scale of 0-10 with no zero.

If you decide you're out because there are some people who don't appeal to you, you might as well declare yourself out of the world as well, because those people are out there too as well as on the internet. Hell, the law of averages says there are probably some real @ssholes on the street where you live, but that doesn't mean you have to engage with them.

Sure, a lot of the @ssholes are keyboard warriors who wouldn't be so overtly nasty in person, but that kind of thing has to be in you in the first place if it is to come out, even via a keyboard. You can exercise the same judgement you do in real life on this forum. You can choose not to come here once in a while, or not to get involved in discussions you don't like, or ignore people or whatever. But don't let people you don't get along with spoil something you enjoy; if you do, they win.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

11 minutes ago, Chock said:

You can't have a scale of 0-10 with no zero

LOL just doesn't do it. 🤣

1 hour ago, dave2013 said:

Unfortunately, some folks can't help inserting their religion or politics into a discussion about almost anything, or they engage in name-calling and insults.  Then you get someone like me who feels compelled to respond to those comments, and the discussion can quickly get heated.

This. Why do some people keep making direct references to politics or politically charged issues, even in topics like this? I think that is also against AVSIM rules of conduct.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]