Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Whats your internet speed?

I have no direct knowledge, but I'm going to guess that minimum spec *might* run in offline mode at minimum possible settings, although I can't guess how well.  Maximum spec should handle highest possible settings with no problem, and there's no reason to go above maximum spec until you've seen the sim run on your computer.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I recently switched providers from Comcast's anemic cable to AT&T's fiber optic service for both TV and Internet. 

AT&T is theoretically 1 Gbps versus Comcast's 250 Mbps. 

Actual speeds vary of course. Today for example I'm only getting a somewhat disappointing download speed:

G19Nv.png

I'll  have to upgrade my switch however, since the FS computer in my adjacent library room is a paltry 93.9 Mbps download speed! 😒

Hmmm, I do have two TV's running in the living room and the kitchen. I wonder if they are responsible for sucking off 200 Mbps off the download speed of my dev computer (connected to the modem directly?

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

6 minutes ago, n4gix said:

I recently switch providers from Comcast's anemic cable to AT&T's fiber optic service for both TV and Internet. 

Actual speeds vary of course. Today for example I'm only getting a somewhat disappointing download speed:

G19Nv.png

I'll  have to upgrade my switch however, since the FS computer in my adjacent library room is a paltry 93.9 Mbps download speed! 😒

Hmmm, I do have two TV's running in the living room and the kitchen. I wonder if they are responsible for sucking off 200 Mbps off the download speed of my dev computer (connected to the modem directly?

Now you're just showing off n4gix.

That is an unimaginable speed to me.

Mind if I bring my flight sim rig around to yours? 

I'll bring beer.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, n4gix said:

I recently switch providers from Comcast's anemic cable to AT&T's fiber optic service for both TV and Internet. 

G19Nv.png

We've come a long way........

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

33 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

Now you're just showing off n4gix.

That is an unimaginable speed to me.

Mind if I bring my flight sim rig around to yours? 

I'll bring beer.

Sure, I've got plenty of room! I had seen AT&T hanging stuff on the poles running along the alley next to my house, but didn't really pay much attention to them. A couple of very nice young ladies showed up at my door a few weeks ago to let me know about the new fiber-optic system that had been installed.

I really had no real interest in changing since I thought I'd loose my 30 year old email address. When they showed me on Comcast's own website a notice that I could in fact keep my current email addy even after changing providers I said "sign me up!" 

$60.69/mo versus $192.83/mo? That's a no-brainer! Granted that after two years that promo price will double, it's still a lot less expensive...

• Like 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

42 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

We've come a long way........

I used to enjoy that sound. It's like a Herald announcing you are going Online!

One could never quite quash the temptation after it got towards the end bit; you know; Eh - o -eh- o chssssCHSSSSSSSSS.... of thinking, or sayinng out loud, conspiratorially, like you're in some spy movie;

"Okay, we're in."

And you could freak your clients out by showing them how you could put video on their website.

"How the heck have you done that....man, you're a genius. Where's my cheque book."

WebMonkey, Altavista, AOL...

Those were the days.

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese
  • Like 2

I've got a question concerning internet speed.

50 Mbit is roughly 6 MByte per second. Why do we need fast SSDs in P3D and XP when it's ok that data (scenery, mesh) comes in at such a low speed (that's at least factor 100) and still looks so word not allowed good?

Karl

i9-9900K@5,0   |  32GB 3200  |  2080TI  |  4K 55"  |  MSFS | P3D V5

7 hours ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

Definitely behind the curve here and something I'll be addressing in plenty of time...

fbksdjf1.jpg

I'm not doing much better:

aWIbNGU.jpg

This is Windstream DSL, and unfortunately I have no options to improve it.  My only hope for a modern internet connection is Starlink later this year from SpaceX, I've already applied for the beta program.  As soon as it's available I am buying into it and thanking Elon Musk from the bottom of my heart!

Edited by Mengy
  • Like 1

All I'm saying is thank goodness Asobo have added interpolation to multiplayer aircraft... Seeing some of these pings reminds me of all those lagging HPBs (dare I say cannon fodder) dialing up to join quake2 deathmatch servers! 😉

Bernard

On 6/27/2020 at 11:24 AM, Will Fly For Cheese said:

With your internet speed cool white cat you would demolish my monthly allowance in about 20 seconds flat!

Who in the world still has monthly allowances?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

14 minutes ago, viz said:

All I'm saying is thank goodness Asobo have added interpolation to multiplayer aircraft... Seeing some of these pings reminds me of all those lagging HPBs (dare I say cannon fodder) dialing up to join quake2 deathmatch servers! 😉

I remember in certain MMOs, the first thing they would ask, usually in a rude way, when you tried to join a group, was what is your ping?

Devons rig

7 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Me...

The place I moved in to for a work contract was meant to be temporary - just a few months - so I use Mobile Data from my mobile provider - capped at 20 Gb/ month.

Five years later...I'm still here.

MSFS will get me to push the button on having broadband fibred in.

49 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

I did up until a month ago.  I paid quite a bit for a 25 gig monthly cap, and my family used 2/3 of that every month.

I'm still trying to get used to not having to worry about bandwidth allowance.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

11 minutes ago, LHookins said:

I did up until a month ago.  I paid quite a bit for a 25 gig monthly cap, and my family used 2/3 of that every month.

I'm still trying to get used to not having to worry about bandwidth allowance.

Hook

When testing, do you look at your sim data usage? 🐷

Devons rig