Sign in to follow this  
mSparks

Freeware volumetric clouds experimental release

Well sorry for just stating the obvious here. I am not doing it to insult the developer. Not at all. It's just a plain reaction to what I saw in the video. It must be possible to voice an opinion in a forum.

• Upvote 2

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

46 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

Well sorry for just stating the obvious here. I am not doing it to insult the developer. Not at all. It's just a plain reaction to what I saw in the video. It must be possible to voice an opinion in a forum.

you did. and others judged you for it.

what did you expect?

As one of my profs used to say.

Dont argue with the conclusion, argue with how it was arrived at.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

1 hour ago, Colonel X said:

Not great looking for sure but still far better than xEnviro last I checked.  No crazy performance impact, no shaving cream clouds and works in VR.

Edited by Sims Smith

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2

3 hours ago, HumptyDumpty said:

Have you tried it ? 

using it more often , should be a positive response for  someone who is doing this for free and that too a biology student,  not considering the limitations posed by LR.

But isn't this the ultimate issue? limitations posed by LR...

How much longer will folk have to wait before LR finally addresses the issue...another 2 / 3 years?

8 minutes ago, Sims Smith said:

Not great looking for sure but still far better than xEnviro last I checked.  No crazy performance impact, no shaving cream clouds and works in VR.

I wouldn't say it looks better than xEnvro...

However, considering it works in VR (I don't use VR), and its free....I would definitely recommend this over xEnviro. As much as I like xEnviro's potential...it is not worth the money...and looks like it is still years off from being useful.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FlyBaby said:

How much longer will folk have to wait before LR finally addresses the issue...another 2 / 3 years?

firstly this has nothing todo with the "limitations posed by LR" , someone is trying to create a freeware volumetrics for XP users and it should be appreciated within the range it can be achieved to a certain extent. 

"How much longer will folk have to wait before LR finally addresses the issue...another 2 / 3 years?"     That i think is a question you should ask Austin or Ben. 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

3 minutes ago, HumptyDumpty said:

firstly this has nothing todo with the "limitations posed by LR" , someone is trying to create a freeware volumetrics for XP users and it should be appreciated within the range it can be achieved to a certain extent.

So what is that certain extent? A limit??? and what has LR done address it so that 3PD can achieve more when creating addons for their sim? I am sure that xEnviro would be interested.

5 minutes ago, HumptyDumpty said:

"How much longer will folk have to wait before LR finally addresses the issue...another 2 / 3 years?"     That i think is a question you should ask Austin or Ben. 

The question was rhetorical...for effect...given that Austin hasn't done anything for more than half a decade now with XPs limited clouds...

2 minutes ago, FlyBaby said:

So what is that certain extent? A limit??? and what has LR done address it so that 3PD can achieve more when creating addons for their sim? I am sure that xEnviro would be interested.

The question was rhetorical...for effect...given that Austin hasn't done anything for more than half a decade now with XPs limited clouds...

As i said those questions should be asked to LR and this is not a thread to quesiton that. I would suggest rather open a new thread for it and i am sure someone would def answer the question for you. 

This thread is just a discussion for the work that is being carried out for users who cannot afford Xenviro and who want to see volumetrics in XP in its current state. 

• Upvote 2

Sorry,  A bit confused here.

Which is the latest?  I assume it's Enhanced-Cloudscapes as the original post/git project is abandoned and read-only, and mSparks fork says changing to Enhanced-Cloudscapes.

6 minutes ago, ronh99 said:

Which is the latest?  I assume it's Enhanced-Cloudscapes as the original post/git project is abandoned and read-only, and mSparks fork says changing to Enhanced-Cloudscapes.

at the .org forum search "Enhanced Cloudscapes" and download the latest one from there , i do not know about msparks stuff , think that is the second fork of the original.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ronh99 said:

It is a open source project with multiple Forks.  It recently went through a re branding exercise. 

The main ones are:

Main cloud rendering plugin

751306862_PC-6_Porter-2020-08-1719_57_44

Download binary from xplane dot org 
Source code maintained by original author

UI Plugin

ECC.thumb.jpg.09cc1454254d57f4d5f4855c34

source code in LUA  https://github.com/JT8D-17/Enhanced-Cloudscapes-Controller-for-X-Plane

Edited by Sims Smith
  • Like 1

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2

4 minutes ago, Sims Smith said:

It is a open source project with multiple Forks.  It recently went through a re branding exercise. 

The main ones are:

Main cloud rendering plugin

Download binary from xplane dot org 
Source code maintained by original author

UI Plugin

ECC.thumb.jpg.09cc1454254d57f4d5f4855c34

source code in LUA  https://github.com/JT8D-17/Enhanced-Cloudscapes-Controller-for-X-Plane

This.

Also download the DataRefTool and not the DataRefEditor. If you know how make the changes one can. 

Edited by HumptyDumpty

13 hours ago, FlyBaby said:

It's already started.  Vulkan/Metal.  Why do some people constantly choose to ignore this?  On my MBP, my fps have increased from 35 (OpenGL) to 80 (Metal) in the TBM 900.

Edited by GoranM
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I've been using the file linked above at the Org...but there is some weird issue when the edge of my plane is in front of these clouds.  There is a weird jagged edge which appears to be lined in light blue.  Has anyone seen this?  Here's a 1:1 crop of what I am seeing.  Odd that the issue isn't on the canopy.

Doesn't matter what AA settings I use either (all done in sim).  I did not have this with the previous edition from the GitHub (although I did have a massive fps hit with anything over 4x aa)

50295750248_84a557622d_o.pngjaggyedge by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

@ryanbatcund

It's an issue with how the clouds are rendered, there was an update recently on the xplane forums - he said he has found a fix and is working on it, he estimated it'd take him a month or so before the next release (which will include a few fixes)

• Like 1

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg