Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

What FS version became a simulator, not a game?

1 minute ago, cobalt said:

The first computer program designed to simulate flight was developed by Bruce Artwick, founder of Sublogic, in 1978. Just a fact of history. That subsequent versions of his program have been, and still are, used in flight instruction in some places, is also a fact. If it is also in your mind  "a game that simulates a simulator" I will take your word for it! Can we then call it a "simulation-simulator"?

Nope, we can call it a simulation game. 1977, by the way! 

Interesting sim history here..https://fshistory.simflight.com/

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

14 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Enjoy this animated 3d explanation:

I tip my hat & bow to you... the Fr. of toplogy!

Edited by n4gix
Removed unnecessary long quote!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Mobius strips are cool, but I've always liked Klein bottles even better.......

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

14 hours ago, LHookins said:

Game or simulator?

It's all a state of mind, but I'm pretty sure I know how you and I both perceive it. :happy:

• Like 1

Indeed.. I love the definition.. it is a two-dimensional manifold against which a system for determining a normal vector cannot be consistently defined.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Just now, jpc55 said:

It's all a state of mind, but I'm pretty sure I know how you and I both perceive it. :happy:

You do, I also perceive it as a pain in the b_tt at times. 🙂

• Upvote 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

7 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Mobius strips are cool, but I've always liked Klein bottles even better.......

Yeah, they are neat 'mental constructs' but really quite  impossible to drink beer from! 😜

Not to go too far afield, have you ever read the story of the man who built a tesseract house?

"—And He Built a Crooked House—"

a science fiction short story by American writer Robert A. Heinlein, first published in Astounding Science Fiction in February 1941.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/"—And_He_Built_a_Crooked_House—"

• Like 3

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

This thread proves one thing beyond all doubt.  The human race is doomed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

How can you say that? a bit of esoteria does wonders to one's soul..

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

2 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

This thread proves one thing beyond all doubt.  The human race is doomed.

Oh dear! Then you must quickly make one more post Dave so you can hit 4,000!

Quickly now before the end occurs. 😈

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

8 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Yeah, they are neat 'mental constructs' but really quite  impossible to drink beer from! 😜

Not to go too far afield, have you ever read the story of the man who built a tesseract house?

"—And He Built a Crooked House—"

a science fiction short story by American writer Robert A. Heinlein, first published in Astounding Science Fiction in February 1941.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/"—And_He_Built_a_Crooked_House—"

That brings back memories.. Years ago.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

14 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Oh dear! Then you must quickly make one more post Dave so you can hit 4,000!

Quickly now before the end occurs. 😈

LOL!  I hadn't noticed that!  Well, better to rule in hell...  LOL!

• Like 3

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

To answer the question the OP asked, the very first version I had for the Apple 2 was a simulator.

I took off, flew patterns, landed.  I did the real life barnstorming trick of flying through the hangar.  I circled in a climb as high as I could go, and the entire world was a tiny square far below me.  I tried inverted flight.  I did slaloms around the mountains.  I declared war and played the WW1 game.  I learned a few things about flying even though I'd taken a couple of real life flying lessons 10 years earlier.  And I controlled it with the keyboard.

In the first and subsequent Microsoft flight simulators I'd take off from Meigs and try to climb high enough quickly enough to fly between the antennas on the John Hancock building, then turn and fly between the ones on the Sears Tower.  In those days I had no idea about best climb speed or best climb angle, but I learned by experimentation.

I also played, but I don't remember a time when it wasn't a simulator.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

22 hours ago, Wobbie said:

Nope, we can call it a simulation game. 1977, by the way! 

Interesting sim history here..https://fshistory.simflight.com/

Not we can. -- you can,. Feel free to call it whatever you want -- no problem as far as I'm concerned. Call piloting a real plane a game if that suits you! I will continue to call MSFS a simulator because (a) that's how I use the program, and (b) that's what the program was originally designed for. (Bruce Artwick's M.S. thesis in Electrical Engineering was titled “A versatile computer generated dynamic flight display”). With that, I am signing off on this thread.

• Like 1