Sign in to follow this  
Asterix2112

Washington DC Scenery

This will have to be handcrafted at some point. 

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

It`s been boarded up!!.

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I will say the Ellipse/White House looked ok, but the pilot never got really close to see, though 16th St (now Black Lives Matter Plaza) does not seem to have the Black Lives Matter painted on the street, I am sure someone will get upset about that! (little joke there)

The Pentagon looked good from a distance, I don't see the Air Force memorial though, maybe a draw distance problem, might be there.

Way too many trees on the Mall then what is actually there (that seems to be an issue in other cities too). Lincoln Memorial/Reflecting Pool looks good. The WWII memorial is there, but looks like a bombed out ditch! The iconic Smithsonian Castle is not there either, replaced by a generic building. The Mall itself looks ok, except for that one section where a building just appeared that does not exist in real life.

Yeah, it needs some hand drawn TLC, and being that it is Washington DC, I can't imagine that it will not get updated at least fairly soon.

40 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

Probably because of national security reasons.

At one point in time those two buildings flanking to the left and right of the White House were censored, though they don't seem to be anymore.

Used to work at the Old (now Eisenhower) Executive Office Building. That's where the White House bowling alley is BTW (in the basement)

So many stuck on what it is not...as opposed to what it is...

MSFS "is" the best thing that ever happened to flight simulation....it is the best you are going to get for the next 10 years.

MSFS is bringing you the world...the world is not perfect...so don't expect MSFS to be either...get a grip people.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

DC needs a little love.  I lived there too.  If they can't get drone pics, then do it from the ground.

Hm.  "No drone zone."  I like it. 😄 

What amuses me most about the depiction of the Washington Monument is three things on the ground.  There is the generated shadow, the baked-in shadow, and the baked-in aerial picture of the monument itself. 🙂 

Hook

• Upvote 2

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

3 hours ago, FlyBaby said:

So many stuck on what it is not...as opposed to what it is...

MSFS "is" the best thing that ever happened to flight simulation....it is the best you are going to get for the next 10 years.

MSFS is bringing you the world...the world is not perfect...so don't expect MSFS to be either...get a grip people.

I agree with you 20000000%! Trust me on that. Check my other posts.

However, when the Washington monument looks like a generic building. You can't help but laugh....

Or a look like this guy....

tenor.gif

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Now the plot thickens.

The Washington Monument we see in the OP pic resembles like a twin to the black monolith we see in the Pyong Yang vid 😄. Is it a place holder ?

They'd better do something about it indeed. As I said elsewhere, the DC layout was made by a French military engineer, so our friends from Bordeaux should feel motivated to do something about it 😇 ! 

Edited by Dominique_K

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

with photogrammetry there is few aspects to take in consideration; it is not enough to have a place covered with photogrammetry to show it good and well in the sim; the quality of the data come into play; very likely the photogrammetry data over Washington are not the best; it look like in this case ai come into play instead of photogrammetry and magically a tower bloc of flats show up instead of the monument.

Edited by arsenal82

6 hours ago, arsenal82 said:

very likely the photogrammetry data over Washington are not the best;

There's probably zero photogrammetry over DC since you're not allowed to fly over DC in a way to get that information.

All we got is satellite imagery.

Edited by Tuskin38

2 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

There's probably zero photogrammetry over DC since you're not allowed to fly over DC in a way to get that information.

All we got is satellite imagery.

there you go

that explain exactly why

On 8/8/2020 at 8:03 AM, Dominique_K said:

Now the plot thickens.

The Washington Monument we see in the OP pic resembles like a twin to the black monolith we see in the Pyong Yang vid 😄.

MSFS2020: A Flight SIm Odyssey?🤔

• Like 3

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)