Sign in to follow this  
TASCHMANN

MSFS EULA AGREEMENT AVAILABLE?

6 minutes ago, 2reds2whites said:

It has to. How can software not alter any files? The whole point of software is  to alter files. If you download a flight simulator it needs to operate within windows, it needs to be able to insert, read and write files. Same with MS Paint, same with everything you install on a computer?!

You probably work for Microsoft and you are trying to disguise their real intentions, because it’s clear to me they will try to get data from every Avsim user.

• Like 1

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

Of course it needs to access files and registry ... how else can an app that streams from the cloud make the needed updates on your PC? Those are the same permissions you also gave Windows 10 itself. I wouldn't be worried about that. If they want to access all your contacts it would be different 

• Like 2

Always have fun --0-- Flight Sim Navigation

2 minutes ago, RudyB24 said:

Of course it needs to access files and registry ... how else can an app that streams from the cloud make the needed updates on your PC? Those are the same permissions you also gave Windows 10 itself. I wouldn't be worried about that. If they want to access all your contacts it would be different 

Specially the wife’s number. That wouldn’t be right.

• Like 1

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

17 minutes ago, RudyB24 said:

Those are the same permissions you also gave Windows 10 itself. I wouldn't be worried about that. If they want to access all your contacts it would be different 

No they aren't--read both.    I wouldn't worry as long as your contacts are not located in some sort of "file"  😄

1 hour ago, TASCHMANN said:

I guess what I'm really referring are the "Apps Permissions" that MS requires at the Microsoft Store in order to buy the sim.  Seems like pretty much total control of your PC *must* be turned over to them before they will sell you the product.  Am I getting this right?

Here is the language from Microsoft itself

"Access all your files, peripheral devices, apps, programs, and registry: The app has the ability to read or write to all your files (including documents, pictures, and music) and registry settings, which allows the app to make changes to your computer and settings. It can use any peripheral devices that are either attached or part of your device (such as cameras, microphones, or printers) without notifying you. It also has access to your location, and can use platform features, such as  location history, app diagnostics, and more, which are denied to most Store apps. You can't control most of the permissions for this app in Settings"

I think you are overthinking it. This sounds like typical "cover all the bases" language you see in a lot of EULAs. People had similar complaints about the Windows 10 access.

And is this the language for the alpha/beta or the final version?

Edited by bonchie

27 minutes ago, 2reds2whites said:

Have I accidentally taken some acid?

You're reading the Avsim forums, dude. This place is sometimes trippin' on bad acid, man. Like, the kind of pills that just give you nothing but fear, uncertainty and doubt.

Edited by JacquesBrel
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bonchie said:

All installers read and write to your operating system.

Of course they do.  I'm just wondering, for example, why they need blanket permission to use the camera, microphone or printer in my home without my knowledge.

I think it's a pretty reasonable inquiry.

3 minutes ago, TASCHMANN said:

Of course they do.  I'm just wondering, for example, why they need blanket permission to use the camera, microphone or printer in my home without my knowledge.

I think it's a pretty reasonable inquiry.

Because otherwise any time you tried to print anything, or use your microphone for air traffic/multiplayer etc it’d have to stop the sim and ask you for permission every single time. 

• Like 1

I also noticed some obscure language the mentioned something about "left gonad" but I ignored it.  What's the worst that can happen, anyway? 🙂 

Hook

Edited by LHookins
  • Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I think that between paranoia and naivete' there is a golden mean called vigilance. 

If I were asked to sign an agreement that someone could come to my house when I'm not home and take a few pictures--even if they promised they probably wouldn't do it--I guess I would still be "paranoid" enough to ask why they would want me to sign such an agreement.

24 minutes ago, 2reds2whites said:

Because otherwise any time you tried to print anything, or use your microphone for air traffic/multiplayer etc it’d have to stop the sim and ask you for permission every single time. 

I rarely print or use my microphone without my  own knowledge. 

-----------------------------------

What I'm suggesting is that the language in the Microsoft App Store Permissions Section is anything but "business as usual".  It's different--read and compare.  Rather than challenging the question or attempting to ridicule it how about a simple answer.  I'll accept any reasonable one.

Edited by TASCHMANN

1 hour ago, 2reds2whites said:

Is there any program that doesn’t have that in the EULA? 

especially these days, MS just updated their office terms and I quote "Office apps may download or analyze your content" there is no more privacy protection and specially for games, it's comparable to buying a bicycle but you have to give them full access to your bank account, copies of all txt msg and the keys to your house to enhance the customer experience. If you want to read something scary just read gearbox's eula, it basically says that you agree to give them access to any data on your comp and for them to use it and forward it to anyone they want. That's why you need a dedicated gaming computer, anyone who installs games on their main system needs to have their heads examined.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

What would a flight sim ever need to use your hardware for other than to use your printer to print out flight plans, and use your microphone and camera for multiplayer, and use the rest of your peripherals to control the plane?

I'm not seeing how this disucssion has a solid and factual basis other than worry.

Edited by JacquesBrel

10 minutes ago, FPStewy said:

especially these days, MS just updated their office terms and I quote "Office apps may download or analyze your content" there is no more privacy protection and specially for games, it's comparable to buying a bicycle but you have to give them full access to your bank account, copies of all txt msg and the keys to your house to enhance the customer experience. If you want to read something scary just read gearbox's eula, it basically says that you agree to give them access to any data on your comp and for them to use it and forward it to anyone they want. That's why you need a dedicated gaming computer, anyone who installs games on their main system needs to have their heads examined.

As I already said, Linux is the way to go. I don't know about EULA and XP 11, but as I read today, they support Linux, which is quite nice. However, I have no clue, if they still can abuse your data on a platform like Linux.

Edited by 737_800