Sign in to follow this  
Virtual-Chris

Best Aircraft for sight-seeing?

2 minutes ago, antonvs said:

I see the C172 has been suggested, but my choice is going to be DA-40 which has an uninterrupted view, good avionics, comfort and range. This choice will change the moment if/when Aerobask choose to release their amazing Lancair Legacy RG - add this and I will disappear forever 😀 

Yep, good one also👍

Semper Fi 

I see the C172 has been suggested, but my choice is going to be DA-40 which has an uninterrupted view, good avionics, comfort and range. This choice will change the moment if/when Aerobask choose to release their amazing Lancair Legacy RG - add this and I will disappear forever 😀 

p.s. One of the reasons for this choice is that whilst I like to go low and (relatively) slow, don’t like being stuck in an aircraft that will take too long to get to another area of interest which I rather do in a single flight not restart another flight.

• Upvote 1

Anton von Sierakowski (YBDG) Rig: ASUS Gryphon Z87 TUF Micro-ATX; i7 4770K 4.3GHz 16Gb RAM, RTX2060 6Gb, 1Tb SSD boot, 2Tb SSD MFS2020, 250Gb SSD Spare. 4Gb HDD. Saitek X55/rudders. GA and light Jet flyer.

I just woke up, but reading this thread makes me wonder if I'm still asleep and dreaming.  It has that same disconnect from reality that you get in dreams.

OK.  I assume you're looking for a sightseeing aircraft in MSFS as you posted in this forum, so I'll give my suggestion of which of the default MSFS aircraft might be suitable.

For pure sightseeing, I prefer a high wing for visibility, and tandem seating so you have the same view to the right as you do to the left.  Side by side seating limits what you can see to the right.

The CubCrafters XCub is high wing, tandem seating, and has a glass cockpit.  Should be great at low level flight and has more flying endurance than you do. 🙂  Looks like it also has some good speed to get you between points of interest quickly.

https://simnews.co/2020/08/07/msfs-default-plane-cubcrafters-xcub/

Despite XCubs empty weight is 552 kg (1,216 lb) it gives a useful load of 492 kg (1,084 lb). Take-off and landing distances are demonstrated to be only 52 meters (170 feet) when at maximum gross weight is exceeded. Total of 190 liter fuel capacity gives 6 hours of endurance with cruising speed of 126 knots (233 km/h). Flight range is exceeding 700 nautical miles with altitude service ceiling up to 14,000 feet (4,300 metes). XCub can be recommended for bush flying around the globe because its excellent STOL capabilities and high cruise speed.

(Note some spelling errors in the quoted text corrected.)

Hook

Edited by LHookins
  • Like 2

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I'd take the C208... fairly fast and high wing.  STOL capable as well.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

6 hours ago, Beardyman said:

No better plane for cross country flight than A2A civilian Mustang.

When will it be available?  The question was for MSFS 2020.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

lol people suggesting a mustang? really? lol

low and slow is what you want, preferably high wing for unobstructed view downward unless you want to fly upside down 😄
any fast aircraft may work but its likely you will spend less time looking and more time turning and operating the aircraft than actually sightseeing
sure you can get just as close but you cant stay there as long if your in a faster ship, as for 'getting to the next poi'? do like i do, use one aircraft to travel between poi's then swap (at the closest airport) to your preffered STOL aircraft to sightseeing

im partial to the taildraggers for STOL so my choices will be the Savage Cub or XCub (i will be using the Savage Cub because it has analog gauges which i like)

Edited by AirWayMan
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, AirWayMan said:

(i will be using the Savage Cub because it has analog gauges which i like)

I prefer the Savage Cub as well for the gauges.  I suggested the XCub because the OP requested a modern cockpit, but I haven't flown it in MSFS.

Hook

Larry Hookins

5 minutes ago, spacedyemeerkat said:

But not all? 😁

I figured I'd better mention it to let people know the quality of the writing on the post and maybe help decide its accuracy. 🙂  I can't complain as English may not be the author's first language.

Hook

Larry Hookins

7 minutes ago, LHookins said:

I prefer the Savage Cub as well for the gauges.  I suggested the XCub because the OP requested a modern cockpit, but I haven't flown it in MSFS.

Hook

same actually, i love the XCub but they ruined it for me by using the premium gauge package (by default the XCub comes with mostly analog and only one mfd)
if it had the default gauges that would be my very favorite aircraft in the game 😞 maybe an addon will help later but who knows 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AirWayMan said:

same actually, i love the XCub but they ruined it for me by using the premium gauge package (by default the XCub comes with mostly analog and only one mfd)
if it had the default gauges that would be my very favorite aircraft in the game 😞 maybe an addon will help later but who knows 🙂

It would be so cool if there was an option to choose the gauge package on some of the GA Aircraft when you select the plane

• Like 1

Semper Fi 

Use the 747.  Give it hard rudder to one side, then bank to the other so you can look down :wink:

Then, when you're done, you can zoom off to the next area without having to change aircraft :biggrin:

• Like 2

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

3 minutes ago, LHookins said:

I figured I'd better mention it to let people know the quality of the writing on the post and maybe help decide its accuracy. 🙂  I can't complain as English may not be the author's first language.

Hook

Oops, I thought you meant you'd corrected some of your own spelling mistakes, and I chuckled at "some" because of the unintended implication that you couldn't bothered to sort all of them out. No offense intended to anyone, I think the heat's playing havoc with me 🤪

And... to be on topic... I concur with the masses: any relatively slow high-wing aircraft will do, even better if a single-seater.

• Like 1

I was wondering when someone would suggest the 747!

If flies really really high so you can see more scenery at the same time and goes really really fast so you can get to your next POI in a hurry.  What's not to like?  

It may not be the best aircraft for finding your house though.

Hook

Larry Hookins

1 minute ago, joec63 said:

It would be so cool if there was an option to choose the gauge package on some of the GA Aircraft when you select the plane

unfortunately that may not be as easy as it sounds, from working in fsx i know the 3d interior must be changed to get the 'dashboard' to match the gauges and thats not 'interchangable' on the fly afaik as its basically a new model, im assuming its still the same from the way they have the 172 as 2 separate aircraft because it requires separate 3d models and textures

• Like 1