Sign in to follow this  
MarcG

My first impressions...

3 hours ago, Pevenhull said:

Microsoft Xbox Game Pass for PC. £1 subscription and download MSFS2020 Standard Edition.

Cheers.

What is Xbox game pass? Is it needed for MSFS2020? 

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

5 minutes ago, skysurfer said:

Hi.

It is not 'needed'. MS Xbox website invites folks to subscribe to Xbox Game Pass for PC. £1 1st month and then £3.99 after, unsubscribing whenever.

For £1, anyone can subscribe and download MSFS Std Edn to check it out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, skysurfer said:

It's basically a subscription where you can play usually all of their games for a certain price.  I think there is/was a promo where it's only a buck.  Typically through Origin/MS whatever service its around 15 USD/month.  It's not required.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 minute ago, ryanbatcund said:

It's basically a subscription where you can play usually all of their games for a certain price.  I think there is/was a promo where it's only a buck.  Typically through Origin/MS whatever service its around 15 USD/month.  It's not required.

Great, thank you 

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

36 minutes ago, Paladin2005 said:

My Crosswind works, my Warthog Throttle works, my WarBRD with Warthog Stick works, and so on. From the first minute. Indeed, a great sim!

Hmm, this is really annoying.... also my TRir doesn't work either. I've taken a look at my USB connections, but there doesn't seem to be any issue there.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

You already updated the TrackIR Games List? Then restart the software?

Did you search for your device axis with the little looking glass symbol when assigning a function ingame?

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

This is the first flight simulator I've ever tried even after 50+ rotations around the sun and a tour of duty at MSFT. Once I started to come to grips with my Xbox controller and understand to use rudders on the runway to keep the centerline, I have been blown away with MSFS. It is even better than what I'd imagined, and my expectations were sky-high. 

When I think of how this sim is only going to get better and will have more aircraft and other addons, plus the fact that my flying skills will improve dramatically... I'm not sure I've been this excited about anything this century. I've never really had a hobby. I think I do now.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, SeanMo said:

This is the first flight simulator I've ever tried even after 50+ rotations around the sun and a tour of duty at MSFT. Once I started to come to grips with my Xbox controller and understand to use rudders on the runway to keep the centerline, I have been blown away with MSFS. It is even better than what I'd imagined, and my expectations were sky-high. 

When I think of how this sim is only going to get better and will have more aircraft and other addons, plus the fact that my flying skills will improve dramatically... I'm not sure I've been this excited about anything this century. I've never really had a hobby. I think I do now.

Once you are sure that this is for you, then ditch the Xbox controller, and get some decent, flight-specific hardware.  Both your degree of control, and your level of enjoyment will increase exponentially 🙂

• Like 1

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

At first I fell in love with it, especially the graphics.

However after spending three or four hours wrestling with various GA aircraft and numerous adjustments to joystick sensitivity it has become an exercise in frustration. This should never have been released as a finished product, it feels and plays like early access and should have been marketed as such. When you put a game out where "Press Any Key" can take up to 5 or 6 attempts to accomplish, then you get a sense that things were rushed to make a deadline. In truth at times it feels like trying to fly in Dovetail's ill fated Flight Sim World and the cynic/conspiracy theory in me has me wondering the real reason the Dovies pulled the plug was that they sold their code (back) toMS who then gave it to Asobo.

Don't get me wrong there is huge potential but Asobo and MS need to get on this quickly and fix the issues with the default stuff. That's all we have to fly at present and regardless which of several forums you look at the twitchy handling is one of the main issues. Dropping the FPS cap to 30 as suggested on the Steam forum helps a bit but it's at best a kludge.

In time we will hopefully get study level aircraft or, better than nothing, something from Just Flight but let's hope the third party developers can achieve what Asobo can't.

1 hour ago, Paladin2005 said:

You already updated the TrackIR Games List? Then restart the software?

Did you search for your device axis with the little looking glass symbol when assigning a function ingame?

Thanks Jan, sure, I usually jump into things with my foot well and truly in my mouth! I am sorting out the rudder and yoke, they are recognised, but blimey, what a dog's dinner trying to get my head around assigning things! Not the most intuitive of software.

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

1 hour ago, Bilbosmeggins said:

Once you are sure that this is for you, then ditch the Xbox controller, and get some decent, flight-specific hardware.  Both your degree of control, and your level of enjoyment will increase exponentially 🙂

Oh, I know. 🙂 If the Airbus controller from Thrustmaster had been in stock the last few weeks, I would already have it. I'm just not willing to pay two or three times the cost for one on eBay. I'll eventually add pedals too at the very least. Like MSFT, I'm in this for the long haul. Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SeanMo said:

Oh, I know. 🙂 If the Airbus controller from Thrustmaster had been in stock the last few weeks, I would already have it. I'm just not willing to pay two or three times the cost for one on eBay. I'll eventually add pedals too at the very least. Like MSFT, I'm in this for the long haul. Thanks!

I was fortunate enough to already have a Thrustmaster T-16000 setup because I play a space sim a lot. Someone online in the Star Citizen community actually gave me the joystick free and I added the throttle later. The stock of various controllers is low or non-existent everywhere. There's a thread about it elsewhere. No idea what's going on besides maybe the pandemic is affecting supply chains. I was going to look for a set of pedals for my existing setup but just like you, I'm not willing to pay two or thee prices for them, I can't and wouldn't if I could. Nice to hear you are having a good experience and have found a new hobby. I'm having a ball myself as well.

• Like 1