Sign in to follow this  
simsuper80

next gen sim, 17 year old ATC system

The ATC is awful. Phraseology is wrong often (clearly from French?), as is the absurdly low volume being unintelligible.Yet another clue this was built by gamers and not pilots. Shame they could have just taken it all from FSX.

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

2 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

Come on guys! Nothing can substitute  real human ATC..Unless of course when machines will rise! 🙂

How much has real human ATC improved in 17 years?

Just thought I'd chime in here. I haven't had much interaction yet with ATC. However, I personally have a few issues with the new system already. And it appears these issues aren't mentioned in any threads I've come across. 

1. Unable to choose any options in the ATC menu if another aircraft is speaking. Makes for some slight delays in getting stuff done, even longer delays at busier airports.

2. Calling ground for pushback, jetways, baggage and fuel? I think its great they added these features in the base sim. But having to call ground? First, this is extremely inaccurate. You don't call the tower to ask for the jetway to meet the aircraft. And second, this just adds more things to slow down ATC communication. 

I'm hoping #1 gets fixed by asobo. And as for #2, I have a gut feeling it may be permanent. But hopefully with GSX in the future, we'll be able to avoid it.

Anyone else find these issues annoying? I am glad to hear that traffic separation is improved. Lets hope for more upgrades in the future.

-Tony@PVD

Edit to add:

Also is there no easy way to get the ATIS anymore?

Edited by breakinghbts

Tony Moore

12 hours ago, Pevenhull said:

How much has real human ATC improved in 17 years?

Vatsim or any human ATC is a niche. You need to be a fan. I am not.

I dont like leading with real people while Im relaxing or playing. Its my time of leisure so I want peace and doing everything in my own terms. 

We humans prefer computers for some issues than to deal with other humans. For example shopping online, Waze, and you know, 20 years ago you could still call the telephone operator to ask for address of some shop or business, but we seldom did. Even then we preferred finding out online.

So if Im hitting the flightsim to make a flight, I prefer an intelligent robot ATC than a real life bloke from Vatsim getting on my nerves

Edited by kapitan
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, kapitan said:

Vatsim or any human ATC is a niche. You need to be a fan. I am not.

I dont like leading with real peipke while Im relaxing or playing. Its my time of leisure so I want peace and doing everything in my own terms. 

We humans prefer computers for some issues than to deal with other humans. For example shopping online, Waze, and you know, 20 years ago you could still call the telephone operator to ask for address of some shop or business, but we seldom did. Even then we preferred finding out online.

So if Im hitting the flightsim to make a flight, I prefer an intelligent robot ATC than a real life bloke from Vatsim getting on my nerves

+1

• Like 1

Chris Camp

13 hours ago, kapitan said:

Ms. Bing Cortana

Sounds like the next K-Pop sensation! :biggrin:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

16 hours ago, simsuper80 said:

The road traffic looks to be the same as it did in fs9 and fsx

I thought no one would mention this, it’s really poor, XP11 is much better (and even theirs is poor and old). 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dutch727 said:

To be fair about it, I have noticed new features and some bug fixes over FSX.  Specifically:

- ATC now knows about departure and arrival procedures.
- The bug where if an AI was taxiing behind you they would receive endless "Hold Position...continue Taxi" orders doesn't happen any more.
- So far as I can see the very wide approach vectors and "slalom-course" vectors have been eliminated.  
- The very annoying situation where if you are ready for takeoff and any aircraft has been cleared to land on your runway you would be held even if it takes 10 minutes for him to get there has been changed.  Yesterday I was cleared for takeoff after another aircraft had been cleared to land on my runway, because he was far enough out.

Yes, there are still lots of bugs, but it's not a copy, there have been changes and improvements and so we can have an expectation that they will be further improving it.  It's actually on their development list as "in process".

Dutch

I concur - I did a full ATC flight on the Bus last night, and the system does a lot better job of vectoring you in a reasonable way.  I will add you can also ask for clearance to the next waypoint, although I don't know if it clears you direct.  Approach vectoring seemed much improved.  I also like the feature to hand off ATC to the co-pilot, which works very well and lets you focus in flying as a PIC should do.

It is not perfect, and the interface with ATC is I agree basically the same and could use improvement.  But this is a reasonable improvement on any previous default ATC.

• Upvote 1

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

16 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

Sounds like the next K-Pop sensation! :biggrin:

Actually, she sounds like a lounge singer on Coruscant. 😉

• Like 1

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

15 hours ago, BIGSKY said:

When approaching an intermediate altitude,on my way up to my final cruise,can ATC clear me to next altitude when I am 1500 feet from it,instead of 250 feet????

On my experience so far, If I leave my arrival and approach altitudes to ATC, i would need 90 degree glideslope to touch the runway.

And it has also sent me to the side of hills. To be fair, this also happened to me with VATSIM ATC not that long ago.

I understand dumb ATC that cannot take random terrain into account, but in my experience FS2020 doesnt even follow SID/STAR vertical guidance which makes it totally useless IMHO.

FS9 didn’t have road traffic. It was only introduced in FSX. I know because I always wanted to upgrade to FSX because of the traffic, but my specs weren’t good enough at the time. 

But agreed on traffic compared to x-plane. Highway traffic drives way too fast, and there doesn’t appear to be any decent vehicle lighting at night either. Hopefully they’ll improve this at some point?

• Like 1

I'm not interacting with ATC much on my GA flights but a recent pass through the KPHY Bravo airspace in my C152 I was asked to squawk and I did but after hitting the ident switch a few times nothing happened, and I never got any other options to interact with ATC even after I passed well out of their airspace. I reset my radios and everything but never really got back to full ATC functionality

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Founder/Designer, MSE Airports

1 hour ago, pty1973cm said:

On my experience so far, If I leave my arrival and approach altitudes to ATC, i would need 90 degree glideslope to touch the runway.

And it has also sent me to the side of hills. To be fair, this also happened to me with VATSIM ATC not that long ago.

I understand dumb ATC that cannot take random terrain into account, but in my experience FS2020 doesnt even follow SID/STAR vertical guidance which makes it totally useless IMHO.

I will agree that I think the vertical guidance to the FAF may be bugged - for example, ATC left me at 4000 feet on a previous flight and didn't direct me to the FAF altitude to intercept localizer and glideslope. It should be able to do this since the FSX/P3D ATC does.  That would definitely be something to file a Zendesk ticket when it happens.

Edited by PurdueKev

- Kevin

You are supposed to use Vatsim for ATC, there will be zero changes to the flightsimulators ATC, i will bet 12 bottles of very good redwine on that.

Edited by OHN767