Sign in to follow this  
cwburnett

Updated CJ4 Performance - Updated engines.cfg

4 hours ago, doublem said:

Thanks for the update @cwburnett and your work. Much appreciated!

Just a thought from my side. I think it is better with small improvements released frequently than large updates which often gets delayed and takes long time to get perfect. If some small and simple things are fixed and released we can enjoy those things as we wait on other improvements.

Keep up the good work! 

Firstly, thanks to all working on this project.  So looking forward to your improvements, you are greatly appreciated.

Secondly, agree with @doublem's idea.  Anyone using your improvements should accept these as "testing" and provide consistent feedback for future development !   Thanks ! 

• Like 1

WAT1460.png

7 hours ago, doublem said:

Just a thought from my side. I think it is better with small improvements released frequently than large updates which often gets delayed and takes long time to get perfect. If some small and simple things are fixed and released we can enjoy those things as we wait on other improvements.

3 hours ago, vcarlo said:

Secondly, agree with @doublem's idea.  Anyone using your improvements should accept these as "testing" and provide consistent feedback for future development !   Thanks ! 

I appreciate the thoughts from both of you. While anyone using 'should' accept these as testing, it is clear from some of the other mod threads, that not everyone does as they should. 😉

That said, we'll take a look and getting a test package put together this weekend.

• Like 3

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

9 minutes ago, cwburnett said:

I appreciate the thoughts from both of you. While anyone using 'should' accept these as testing, it is clear from some of the other mod threads, that not everyone does as they should. 😉

That said, we'll take a look and getting a test package put together this weekend.

Hehe...my pappy always said "you can't fix stupid".  I really don't intend to demean anyone with a real learning deficiency, but for goodness sakes of you can get past the gauntlet of configuring a PC, then tweak the MSFS software to get results like this:

KsbHAm.jpg

...you should be able to follow instructions on bits of code folks in the community are offering as a gift to enhance your simming experience even more.  And you should most certainly understand that your results may vary, and if it doesn't work for you off the bat, you may need to do a little troubleshoot on your own!

I'm find in my steady advance towards senior citizenship, I've become less tolerant of folks who refuse to follow simple instructions, then come to the forums to complain about how something free is not a 1-click solution, and expect the dev to put in even more effort (not that they wouldn't eventually) to hand them a turn-key solution without even taking a little of their own precious time to see if they can figure it out by following the instructions.

Almost makes me want to re-think my decision to get into scenery modding....I've seen my share of ungrateful folks in my painting career, trying to figure out if I want to see if its just as bad in the modding community (Assuming it is, based on the attitude of some (not all) simmers nowadays)😉

• Upvote 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

59 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

Almost makes me want to re-think my decision to get into scenery modding....I've seen my share of ungrateful folks in my painting career, trying to figure out if I want to see if its just as bad in the modding community (Assuming it is, based on the attitude of some (not all) simmers nowadays)

I appreciate your perspective Steve because this is all new to me - I've been a consumer of mods, paints, FDE edits and more, but not much of a creator. The move to javascript, HTML and CSS has made working on panels and systems much more accessible, which I'm grateful for - and there is no shortage of opportunities to improve on the defaults in MSFS. Learning to live with the consequences of publishing, including having to/whether to provide support, is something that we're working through. This is supposed to be for fun, not a job - and there are times when we all have questioned whether it is even worth it to publish our work. The deeper we go into systems, the more opportunities there are for things to break or 'not work' for people. Anyhow, I'm spending today cleaning up bugs I've found and some odds and ends in the code to protect against errors in unusual situations. Hopefully we'll have an 'alpha' of sorts for this mod in the next day or two, with the massive caveat that it will likely break with the Asobo update.

• Like 3

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

2 minutes ago, cwburnett said:

Anyhow, I'm spending today cleaning up bugs I've found and some odds and ends in the code to protect against errors in unusual situations

As I quickly found out when I dove into the painting world, that in of itself can be a hobby all its own.

Its going to take me the next few years to balance the amount of flying time vs painting time if I just stick to flying.

It sucks you in as a new hobby when you:

1. Realize that what you want to accomplish is possible and you have the tools and basic skills to do it.
  2. You see your first project actually working in the sim for the 1st time (and 2nd, 3rd, 10,000th)
  3. You offer it to the community and the majority of them are truly grateful you've taken the time to do your project (and respond with positive and/or constructive feedback) 
  4. You incrementally learn new skills as you move from project to project

The one thing you have to become disciplined in (I never was able when it came to painting), is to balance your flying with your modding.  If you're really a simmer who loves to fly, and got into modding to see if you could make the world a little better, you'll quickly get sucked in to modding and....

"spend today cleaning up bugs...." 😉

Just make sure you spend tomorrow flying somewhere scenic that takes your breath away.  Like this:

U3tn3f.jpg

16 minutes ago, cwburnett said:

This is supposed to be for fun, not a job - and there are times when we all have questioned whether it is even worth it to publish our work.

Yep...been there many times.  Its a personal decision you have to make, but when I was at that juncture (many times over 18 years of painting), I evaluated why I'm doing it, and in the end just blew-off folks who are just pure negativity when it comes to their comments.   Never confusing this with constructive criticism, I usually soldiered on because in the end I knew I was contributing to the community.  You can also cope by taking a break from it....trust me. 😉

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

This mod is definitely an improvement over the default, thanks a lot for working on this. 90% of my 35 hours flight time have been spent in the CJ4 with your fixes. One question though, how do I turn on the cabin lights? I don't see them anywhere in the cockpit, lol. 

Just another quick update on the FMS.  Been busy with work but had the chance to meet up with the CJ4 I used to fly.  While there, I was able to get copies of the flight manual and avionics guides.  A few of us have been working on getting the performance calculator squared away and bug free.  This is our progress so far.  Takeoff performance numbers are generated based off the real CJ4 performance charts and are currently affected by aircraft weight, pressure altitude, winds, flap settings, anti-ice, wet/dry runway.  I'm currently about to dive into the OAT effects as they are a little more complex and don't scale linearly with weight or altitude so stay tuned.  

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, PDillon86 said:

This mod is definitely an improvement over the default, thanks a lot for working on this. 90% of my 35 hours flight time have been spent in the CJ4 with your fixes. One question though, how do I turn on the cabin lights? I don't see them anywhere in the cockpit, lol. 

Try to look up, there is 3 spots and dimmers

Greetings  Kurt

MSFS, X-Plane 12

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 32Gb ram, RX 5700 XT 8Gb ram, 1TB SSD

17 hours ago, tangerine said:

For some reason after installing this. I don't see my CJ4 in the Aircraft Selection of the game.

I experienced that too. I haven´t been able to find solution, so I have to stay away from this update.

7 hours ago, FNAL said:

Just another quick update on the FMS.    While there, I was able to get copies of the flight manual and avionics guides.  A few of us have been working on getting the performance calculator squared away and bug free.  This is our progress so far.  Takeoff performance numbers are generated based off the real CJ4 performance charts and are currently affected by aircraft weight, pressure altitude, winds, flap settings, anti-ice, wet/dry runway.  I'm currently about to dive into the OAT effects as they are a little more complex and don't scale linearly with weight or altitude so stay tuned.  

So proud of my AVSIM brethren spending their own time for our future enjoyment ! 👍  Anxiously awaiting your next update, thanks so much ! 

WAT1460.png

9 hours ago, Vindeballe said:

Try to look up, there is 3 spots and dimmers

Yeah I know about those, I just meant the actual cabin lights where the passengers would be. Even with those on it doesn't look illuminated back there.

2 hours ago, tangerine said:

How did you get your CJ4 back?

I deleted the update and had the the original files stored elsewhere. First I thought I did install the files to wrong folder (Official, not Community) but that was not the reason. Are you sure you have not done that mistake? 

12 minutes ago, kiki said:

I deleted the update and had the the original files stored elsewhere. First I thought I did install the files to wrong folder (Official, not Community) but that was not the reason. Are you sure you have not done that mistake? 

I installed the files on the community folder, and the CJ4 has always been on the Official Folder.

Not sure if there's anyway to recover those files, instead of reinstalling the whole sim.