Sign in to follow this  
roi1862

Do not upgrade your CPU !!

In short, went from I7-5820k@4.4 to I7-10700K@5.0. That word not allowed main Thread stutters are still there in the exact same places ! 

Save your money ! This sim CPU optimizations is horrible !   

• Like 1

Roi Ben

That's disappointing.  If you enable dev mode -> display fps, does it still show that it's limited by the main thread?  Did you notice any reduction in main thread CPU usage?  If so, perhaps the bottleneck is I/O blocking the main thread, rather than main thread processing capacity?

Just now, loge said:

That's disappointing.  If you enable dev mode -> display fps, does it still show that it's limited by the main thread?  Did you notice any reduction in main thread CPU usage?  If so, perhaps the bottleneck is I/O blocking the main thread, rather than main thread processing capacity?

Yes in Dev mode its mostly GPU limited and then during flight the main thread peaking and the stutter heappens. it happens every few seconds or so(on flight C172, low alt). I am not really sure about the the rest as i am not pro in those things...

Roi Ben

3 minutes ago, roi1862 said:

Yes in Dev mode its mostly GPU limited and then during flight the main thread peaking and the stutter heappens. it happens every few seconds or so(on flight C172, low alt). I am not really sure about the the rest as i am not pro in those things...

That's not the CPU's fault, these stutters are an issue of either AI traffic or airplane optimization (instruments), maybe even a network issue. Set up correctly, MSFS does not have intermittent stutters. You should see a substantial performance increase with the new CPU, maybe it's time to re-evaluate (and understand) the settings, it's easy to make mistakes there.

• Like 12
  • Upvote 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

This is why i said in the GPU thread if you think the 3090 is going to give you a big fps boost you may be disappointed, and even then most gains will be in 4K not 1080 or 1440. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Just now, Colonel X said:

That's not the CPU's fault, these stutters are an issue of either AI traffic or airplane optimization (instruments), maybe even a network issue. Set up correctly, MSFS does not have intermittent stutters. You should see a substantial performance increase with the new CPU, maybe it's time to re-evaluate (and understand) the settings, it's easy to make mistakes there.

So lets see, AI traffic is off, multiplayer off, cars traffic off, settings are left high-end as recommended, render scaling 100, terrain level of detail 100, object level of detail 100. 

You tell me what to check/do and ill happily do it and report back.

Roi Ben

I would agree on not being in rush to update CPU. just like has been mentioned in a few  forum threads, my 9900K sits idly by with about 30% overall utilization,  while my 2080S is close to maxing out on a 4K display. My best bet will be to upgrade to a 3090 since the GPU seems to be the bottle neck in my case.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, roi1862 said:

So lets see, AI traffic is off, multiplayer off, cars traffic off, settings are left high-end as recommended, render scaling 100, terrain level of detail 100, object level of detail 100. 

Well, first of all, never use any preset MSFS gives you. Key is to understand what each setting does, which ones affect CPU and which ones affect GPU, then load your system accordingly. Use this guide right here to fine tune your settings while keeping an eye on CPU (MainThread) and GPU load using the dev mode FPS counter. 

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-graphics-settings-and-performance-guide-8-18-2020/132407

• Like 2

-

Just now, Ops Normal said:

Of course, with that CPU you are already in the very upper echelon. Any gains would be marginal, maybe 10-15% which borderlines nothing.

• Upvote 1

-

12 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

This is why i said in the GPU thread if you think the 3090 is going to give you a big fps boost you may be disappointed, and even then most gains will be in 4K not 1080 or 1440. 

Agreed and I whilst you will pick up some more fps with a 3090 the main gain will be in 4k where you can crank all the settings to full and still have a great experience

• Like 1

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

8 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

Well, first of all, never use any preset MSFS gives you. Key is to understand what each setting does, which ones affect CPU and which ones affect GPU, then load your system accordingly. Use this guide right here to fine tune your settings while keeping an eye on CPU (MainThread) and GPU load using the dev mode FPS counter. 

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-graphics-settings-and-performance-guide-8-18-2020/132407

I dont get how people with lower end CPU's can set the LOD to 200 

• Like 2

Roi Ben

10 minutes ago, roi1862 said:

change your MSFS profile in Nvidia settings to "default" and apply. I use to have this momentary stutters and they were fixed by turning off the "threaded optimization" off

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU

12 minutes ago, Ops Normal said:

I would agree on not being in rush to update CPU. just like has been mentioned in a few  forum threads, my 9900K sits idly by with about 30% overall utilization,  while my 2080S is close to maxing out on a 4K display. My best bet will be to upgrade to a 3090 since the GPU seems to be the bottle neck in my case.

I see the same with my 2080 Ti and 8700k (4.8 GHz) running in 4k.

Edited by spacedyemeerkat

I’m using an i7-8086K (in reality a binned special edition 8700), overclocked to 4.9 with hyper threading on.

I find the biggest boost in smoothness was to lock fps using riva tuner. I’ve got AI traffic and multiplayer on, graphic settings medium/high with little or no stutters even in demanding situations e.g. Heathrow, NYC etc.

I’m also running close to 4K resolution and am clearly GPU limited in almost all situations. 

• Like 2

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Just now, spacedyemeerkat said:

I see the same with my 2080 Ti and 8700k running at 4k.

And I see the same with an 8700k and 1080ti, I think I will stick with this CPU and either go an 3080 ti 20 gb or a 3090,more than likely will be the 3080 

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K