Sign in to follow this  
Ianrivaldosmith

3090 in FS

26 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Are you referring to Antisoptric Filtering and Texture Supersampling? Mine's currently set to the max for both.

Yes Brother you should be able to turn those settings down as your upscaling is taking care of jaggies - are you running 4k ? 

Edited by Richard Sennett

Rich Sennett

I can't believe I had an RTX 3090 available to me, and I let her go. The one that got away!

Reading this thread I regret it as people are now selling their RTX 3080s at near RTX 3090 prices. 

Hopefully DLSS on DX12 will benefit our RTX 20-series a lot. 

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

3 hours ago, FlyIce said:

Honestly I'm not sure whether the perceived differences between scale 100 and 120 are real or not. It APPEARS to be sharper, that's all I can say. It's like that I'm becoming more CPU limited with 3090 so what the heck just throw a bit more work to 3090 so I can feel a bit better about the money I irrationally and shamefully overspent...

As far as I have seen, with LOD 4, I haven't seen VRAM usage over 10GB when rendering scale set to 100 - 120, even at mega cities like LA. Rendering scale 200 + LOD 9 probably is going to give 24GB a run for its money, but I feel that we'll long be bottlenecked by CPU and possibly MSFS server bandwidth before breaking the 24GB. No idea about what DX12 will bring to the table though. 

Now, here is the strange thing, I tested MSFS at a remote Japan island Shimojishima (RORS) and you'd bet my fps (unlimited) would be out of roof. Nope, with exactly same setting as I'm flying over LA, I'm still around 35fps over these tiny island in nowhere. Have no idea why. 

Thanks for all that good stuff!  Have you tried limiting frames using vsync w/ RTSS, or vsync to a screen refresh at 30Hz?  This seems to me always to best match supply and demand over shooting for higher frames.  It would be cool to see those tests in that context for sure.

Are you looking at CPU utilization on the main thread when in Shimojishima is limited to 35fps?  That may be the limiting piece perhaps.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I haven't installed anything like RTSS. I'm not a gamer at all and only fly the simulators so I feel very much detached to these new tools. Anyway I did use V-sync in either Nvidia control panels or in MSFS. My impression is that they may reduce the overall fps a bit, but help to minimize stutters. This is particularly true with my struggling Titan XP. With 3090 I found the difference between locked and unlocked fps is not very big so for the time being I just do the unlocked. 

As to the small island Shimojishima test, it appears my CPU is still heavily taxed. So I guess LOD 4 is the reason that fps doesn't go higher than 35. But still there is nothing to load and process around these tiny islands even at LOD 9 you'd guess. Also, if I set rendering scale to 200, the fps drops to 15 and is limited completely by 3090 just like in LA, but again there are hardly anything for 3090 to crunch either, even at 8K. 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

6 minutes ago, FlyIce said:

Also, if I set rendering scale to 200, the fps drops to 15 and is limited completely by 3090 just like in LA, but again there are hardly anything for 3090 to crunch either, even at 8K. 

Maybe, even though visually it is just more of the same, ocean everywhere, for the rendering engine 8K of ocean is the same workload as 8K of cities ?? No idea.

6 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Excellent, thank you!

Did you happen to land taxi to a gate in either of these tests?  This caused my Titan RTX to go from about 15 FPS to 7 FPS and VRAM went from 14GB to 26GB (exceeding VRAM is probably what triggered the 7 FPS).

I'll disagree with you there, is clearly a difference and performance is still very low with AA OFF and RenderScaling at 200:

Not in 4k tv Rob thats why I asked - this was only for pc monitor - my LG 32" which I am no longer using it worked well - now using new 4k Sony which you told me to buy many moons ago - thanks for that

You cant use this method in native 4k tvs 3840 x 2160

Also when using LG  I only used 130 render scale and backed off AA settings worked great

Edited by Richard Sennett

Rich Sennett

So two 5090 Ti in SLI should be able to run this sim at 60 fps in 4k, correct? 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

SLI does nothing for flightsim at the moment - the trick with 4k tvs is you dont have to crank your AA settings thats the beauty of them - they have almost a built in AA

• Like 2

Rich Sennett

Not sure what you saying - my pc gaming monitor 32" LG was a pia to get decent AA - I tried render scaling in sim menu to 130% - AA was very nice so I backed off ansiotropic filtering and texture supersampling worked great - nice balance 

Now I would not do that with Sony 4K tv - I leave render scaling at 100% and run native resolution in sim menu (3840 x 2160) AF & TS are on low settings due to the nature of the 4k tv presenting nice AA out of he box - I dont have to tell you that you have one - thats how it works here

Rich Sennett

You guys might want to take a gander at this video well worth the look

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett

Well this card had better be good I have funds set aside but gee wiz in Australia they are going for an eye watering $3400 if you want the ASUS Strix - other brands start at a mere $2900. I would really like to see comparisons with the 3080 (preferably 20Gig) before parting with that amount of cash.  Still all a bit academic as there is no ETA on availability.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

3 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Did you happen to land taxi to a gate in either of these tests?  This caused my Titan RTX to go from about 15 FPS to 7 FPS and VRAM went from 14GB to 26GB (exceeding VRAM is probably what triggered the 7 FPS).

Just tested with TBM landing and taxing at KLAX. It's similar to your results. From getting close to KLAX to on the ground near the gate, VRAM keeps increasing. At the gate: 

LOD 9 + scale 100:  20GB RAM,  21.6GB VRAM, 13fps, CPU limited

LOD 9 + scale 200:  20GB RAM,  27.7GB VRAM, 10fps, GPU limited

1 hour ago, brucewtb said:

I would really like to see comparisons with the 3080 (preferably 20Gig) before parting with that amount of cash.  Still all a bit academic as there is no ETA on availability.

If not considering the terrible availability issues, I'd really say that by all means don't buy a 3090, just buy a 10GB or 20GB 3080. The 10% deference in performance absolutely makes no sense for $800-$1000 more prices. I don't regret my purchase but it's neither sensical nor necessary for MSFS. 

Edited by FlyIce

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

1 hour ago, brucewtb said:

Well this card had better be good I have funds set aside but gee wiz in Australia they are going for an eye watering $3400 if you want the ASUS Strix - other brands start at a mere $2900. I would really like to see comparisons with the 3080 (preferably 20Gig) before parting with that amount of cash.  Still all a bit academic as there is no ETA on availability.

Bruceb

Wow no way am I paying that much for a card I'll wait and buy a new system down the track before I'd fork out that much on just the card, ridiculous 

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

2 hours ago, Richard Sennett said:

Not sure what you saying - my pc gaming monitor 32" LG was a pia to get decent AA - I tried render scaling in sim menu to 130% - AA was very nice so I backed off ansiotropic filtering and texture supersampling worked great - nice balance 

Now I would not do that with Sony 4K tv - I leave render scaling at 100% and run native resolution in sim menu (3840 x 2160) AF & TS are on low settings due to the nature of the 4k tv presenting nice AA out of he box - I dont have to tell you that you have one - thats how it works here

So are you saying the TV is doing some kind of post processing on the image to effectively do anti-aliasing, or are you saying that at 4K and enough distance, AA is not as necessary as the jaggies are imperceptible?

11 hours ago, FlyIce said:

OK, just tested LOD 9 in around downtown LA. It's actually not too bad.

LOD 9 + rendering scale 100: 20-24fps, 24GB RAM, 9.3GB VRAM

LOD 9 + rendering scale 200: 15fps, 24GB RAM, 14.3 GB VRAM

All settings ultra. Clear sky, JMB spawn directly above downtown LA. MSFS is mostly CPU limited at LOD 9.

10850K@5.1GHz, 32GB RAM (3600), 3090 FE.

I would add that visually LOD 9 improvement over LOD 4 is kind of subtle. Not worth the loss of fps.

Hi, so is the LOD mod/hack still having a noticeable effect on draw distance? When it was first discovered a while back, it was reported to increase draw distance at the expense of VRAM, but later after a patch at some point, it came with a more serious FPS drawback. What’s the current situation? What is the performance impact of LOD4 vs no mod to LOD? What are the visual improvements... can you really notice a difference?