Sign in to follow this  
andradef

Performance difference between 16 GB and 32 GB RAM

I've read posts discussing the benefits of going from 16 GB to 32 GB of RAM. I've had my own experience that I want to share.

About a month or so ago, I opened my PC case to install and additional SSD drive. Inadvertently, I dislodged one of my 4 RAM sticks and didn't realize what I had done for a whole month. I booted up the computer again and never realized it was down to 16 GB instead of the originally installed 32 GB. 

Once my RAM went from 32 GB to 16 GB, MSFS performance started to suffer. The main issue was stutters, some lasting as long as 2 or 3 seconds. I also saw a degradation of FPS, but I never measured so I can't really provide a sense of the impact. 

When I finally noticed the other day that I was running 16 GB instead of 32 GB, besides feeling quite stupid for not having notice it for weeks, I reseated the RAM and restored my full 32 GB memory. MSFS performance improved considerably. I have not experienced a single stutter since then, and the game is much smoother. 

Worth mentioning that my setup is not the smoothest one to start with: like everybody else, I am on the waitlist to get a new 3080 video card so I am currently getting by with an AMD Vega 56. Because I have three 1080p monitors in my setup, I can't run settings on Ultra and most of them are on Medium (a few High). 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Interesting. It seems MSFS likes room to breathe. I find that, on average, about 24 Gb out of 32 Gb is used on my system.

Thanks for sharing.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Ive noticed RAM usage seems to depend on third party scenery. For example, I loaded into LFBO in Toulouse with the Toulouse city scenery add-on from Flightsim.to and my RAM usage went to about 22GB where it’s usually around 16GB. So maybe if you don’t add any scenery, you’re fine with 16GB?  Not sure. 

32 minutes ago, leprechaunlive said:

Imagine me with my 8gb of RAM 😄

But im still having a blast 

Same here. And 8GB was double the standard back when I assembled my system many moons ago

• Like 1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

I have 16 gb of RAM, like many, I guess.  I've been wondering for a while whether to add a couple of sticks, but don't really have enough info to justify it to myself yet.

Got an RTX 3070 but may need to spend a bit on a CPU upgrade as I think my Ryzen 7 2700 may be limiting my system a bit.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I upgraded to 32gb a couple weeks back, here's what I found in my tests:

Load times in MSF2020, From Steam to Menu and Fly to Cockpit:
16gb: Load: 1m 33s
Fly: 1m 14s - 15.9gb usage (Peak Load during Loading)

32gb: Load: 1m 26s
Fly: 1m 03s - 20.1gb usage (Peak Load during Loading)

In Flight from JFK to NYC:
13gb average usage with 16gb RAM
20gb average with 32gb RAM

• Upvote 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

It depends on the resolution and graphics settings you are using, and the number of other applications also opened when you run MSFS.

I upgraded from 16 GB to 24 GB and there was no difference in performance for me in most cities.

I use high settings and 1080p.  With 16 GB of Ram and most of my other applications closed, MSFS and Windows would use up to 12 to 13 GB of Ram.  It never used all 16 GB of Ram.

I only upgraded to 24 GB of Ram because I didn’t like closing my other applications while running MSFS.  Now I can keep several browsers open, with the tabs opened on my browsers, and keep other applications open, and run MSFS and only about 60% of my memory is used with 24 GB of Ram.

The belief that 32 GB of Ram is needed for a smooth experience is just not true.  The performance of MSFS is the same for me between 16 GB and 24 GB of Ram, except that with 24 GB of Ram. I can keep other miscellaneous applications opened when I play MSFS.

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

I've used as much as 25GB of system ram and 17.3GB of VRAM  on my system

Edited by Pilot53
  • Upvote 1

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

1 hour ago, abrams_tank said:

It depends on the resolution and graphics settings you are using, and the number of other applications also opened when you run MSFS.

I upgraded from 16 GB to 24 GB and there was no difference in performance for me in most cities.

I use high settings and 1080p.  With 16 GB of Ram and most of my other applications closed, MSFS and Windows would use up to 12 to 13 GB of Ram.  It never used all 16 GB of Ram.

I only upgraded to 24 GB of Ram because I didn’t like closing my other applications while running MSFS.  Now I can keep several browsers open, with the tabs opened on my browsers, and keep other applications open, and run MSFS and only about 60% of my memory is used with 24 GB of Ram.

The belief that 32 GB of Ram is needed for a smooth experience is just not true.  The performance of MSFS is the same for me between 16 GB and 24 GB of Ram, except that with 24 GB of Ram. I can keep other miscellaneous applications opened when I play MSFS.

Most would likely aspire to Ultra settings and 4k HDR at good FPS and smoothness....

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

One other anecdotal comment... Terrain LOD can really utilize RAM. If you want higher draw distances, RAM is important... especially if you mod your LOD in the config file to like 4 (400) it will gladly use almost all your RAM. 

I really hope we see some more scientific hardware performance analysis of MSFS and the impact of various settings. It’s a unique beast with way more emphasis on CPU, RAM, and VRAM than any other game I own. Things like weather and AI traffic can have an effect. It would be ideal to know what settings can impact what hardware so people have a better idea on what to optimize and invest in for their tastes/needs. 

Edited by Virtual-Chris

I think RAM is one off the importend things

for MSFS.

I use 32 GB and think this is a kind oft

Optimum you need, not shure if 64 GB

do mutch more on the performance, should somebody tell us who use it.

So i am pretty lucky with 32 GB.

cheers 😉

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

13 hours ago, andradef said:

I've read posts discussing the benefits of going from 16 GB to 32 GB of RAM. I've had my own experience that I want to share.

About a month or so ago, I opened my PC case to install and additional SSD drive. Inadvertently, I dislodged one of my 4 RAM sticks and didn't realize what I had done for a whole month. I booted up the computer again and never realized it was down to 16 GB instead of the originally installed 32 GB. 

Once my RAM went from 32 GB to 16 GB, MSFS performance started to suffer. The main issue was stutters, some lasting as long as 2 or 3 seconds. I also saw a degradation of FPS, but I never measured so I can't really provide a sense of the impact. 

When I finally noticed the other day that I was running 16 GB instead of 32 GB, besides feeling quite stupid for not having notice it for weeks, I reseated the RAM and restored my full 32 GB memory. MSFS performance improved considerably. I have not experienced a single stutter since then, and the game is much smoother. 

Worth mentioning that my setup is not the smoothest one to start with: like everybody else, I am on the waitlist to get a new 3080 video card so I am currently getting by with an AMD Vega 56. Because I have three 1080p monitors in my setup, I can't run settings on Ultra and most of them are on Medium (a few High). 

You got that right, I run (until the RX6800 arrives) a GTX1060 6Gig, with 32GB it's as smooth as butter in most situations, the odd stutter in heavy cloud. With 16GB it's almost unplayable.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

It runs OK for me with 16GB RAM, but this sim certainly does need a lot of virtual memory.  I had a 16GB pagefile, and was getting virtual memory exhaustion CTDs flying the FBW A320 into Heathrow.  I only had a few other apps running, so it seems it was using close to 32GB.  Increasing the pagefile to 24GB seems to have fixed it.  Will definitely go for 32GB RAM with my next PC.

I suspect that a lot of CTDs people are experiencing are simply virtual memory exhaustion.  Fortunately this is an easy thing to check: open windows event viewer, go to Windows Logs -> System, and check for Out of Virtual Memory events.  To increase the pagefile size, simply go to “View advanced system settings” -> Performance -> Advanced, and give it a sufficient custom size with initial/max set to the same value.  I'm sure many of you know this, but there may be some who find this tip useful.

18 hours ago, andradef said:

I dislodged one of my 4 RAM sticks and didn't realize what I had done for a whole month. I booted up the computer again and never realized it was down to 16 GB instead of the originally installed 32 GB. 

not trying to be a detective here but can you tell us your ram config? you said you have 4 sticks and (1) got dislodged.  I would have guessed you have 4 sticks of 8GB so taking one away would leave you with 24GB, not 16GB.  Also, someone correct me if i'm wrong but taking 1 away from 4 would also make it single channel vs dual channel ram configuration.  This could explain your stutters. Let me know if i'm  assuming incorrectly on your ram stick sizes.

• Like 1

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.