Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

Can Tuesday's update be delayed if the sim is running?

I have a flight planned for tomorrow, (Tuesday the 24th) and do not wish to get hung out waiting for a large update (World Update 2: North America) to complete.  Will the update be staved off if I already have the sim loaded to the World screen?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

9 minutes ago, fppilot said:

I have a flight planned for tomorrow, (Tuesday the 24th) and do not wish to get hung out waiting for a large update (World Update 2: North America) to complete.  Will the update be staved off if I already have the sim loaded to the World screen?

I would expect that once you are 'safely past' the Checking for Updates screen, you should be OK.  Worth a try I would think.

Al

15 minutes ago, fppilot said:

If you pass the update screen, no need to do anything else, as long as the World Update 2 hasn't been released before your flight.

Your sim would be updated next time you fire it up (if the WU2 comes as expected tomorrow).

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

So let me get this right (I'm flying to Gib tomorrow and I too want to delay the Update).

Start MSFS making sure you're OFFLINE. Let it go past the Mount Fuji - Checking for Updates screen and then we're good. Yes?

The direct answer is yes.  And feel free to stay on the internet while you are flying.  No need to disconnect.

If your sim is running, it will run in its current version until you exit.  The next time you start, a required update will be detected and off it is then it will be installed.

Every update has gone this way for me to this point.  When I wanted the update, I quit and restarted.

• Upvote 1

My impression is if you are OCD and paranoid enough about patches,  you could just never quit the sim and stay on the current patch for days or weeks until eventually a storm takes your power out or the game does a CTD .  You could probably even hibernate and jump back into unpatched game again later.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

DEL

Edited by OSM

3 minutes ago, OSM said:

USA Update will be on November 25th:

In the screenshot you just posted it clearly says 11/24 for the USA update...

• Like 1

// 5800X3D // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //

3 minutes ago, espent said:

In the screenshot you just posted it clearly says 11/24 for the USA update...

Thanks! I missed that! For me month in-front of day unusual. 😀

57 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

My impression is if you are OCD and paranoid enough about patches,  you could just never quit the sim and stay on the current patch for days or weeks until eventually a storm takes your power out or the game does a CTD .  You could probably even hibernate and jump back into unpatched game again later.

Who in the world expressed anything like that Glenn.  All I stated was that I wanted to fly tomorrow without interruption or delay.  What in the world is paranoid about that?  Goodness oh my!

• Like 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

Who in the world expressed anything like that Glenn.  All I stated was that I wanted to fly tomorrow without interruption or delay.  What in the world is paranoid about that?  Goodness oh my!

I was merely saying that if someone was, you could in theory delay updating almost indefinitely.

I doubt anyone would actually do that 😄

@fppilot

I am curious how this turns out? Let us know please. And pray for no power outage or hick up, or strange Windows Reboot 🙂

Just kidding, good luck! Where you flying from and to?

Edited by in2tech

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

Just to update. I tried running the sim without an active internet connection to bypass the update until tomorrow.

I could get no further in than a screen saying "Please insert MSFS disc 1" 

I didn't even buy it on disc I bought it from the MS Store.

Now, I've restored the internet to get the update I can't get past this Insert disc screen.