Sign in to follow this  
Bob Lahblah

Reverb G2 - Anyone else getting intermittent pauses?

I have X570 (see sig below) and the Reverb G2 runs flawlessly as long as the front case headers are used. All of the motherboard rear USB ports have issues with it.

PCIe is set manually to version 4 in bios, and bios version is from late 2020

Edited by dogmanbird

23 hours ago, Paul_Yorks said:

an issue where sound cuts out; then the hmd goes black; the sim freezes; and a few seconds later it unfreezes and I carry on from where I left off.  Luckily the "freeze" is just that - since it happened last time as I was landing - and when it restarts you are where you were when you left off, with all settings preserved.

Anyone else had that? 

exactly this has been happening to me for about a week out of nowhere.  I dont believe I changed anything so its a bit confusing why this is occurring all of a sudden.

asus X570 using front case usb 3.0 (adapter that was supplied with G2)

• Like 1

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

Started happening all of a sudden to me, also.  I'm using a G1 though.

LouP

Pauses (temporary black screens in HMD). This looks very much related to the add-on (mod) of the airplane you are flying. Something with the mod that the MSFS app. can't handle well. I had these black screen pauses too, and often resulting in CTD. After I downloaded the latest TBM mod (added and modded a copy of the aircraft.cfg from the default TBM to have only the livery I always fly), this problem now seems completely resolved. My last flight (2 hrs) was a smooth one without mentioned pauses.

Update:  the pausing/audio issue in MSFS has now stopped - solution seems to have been to plug in the USB C connector direct to my gfx card.  Maybe the extra juice that USB C delivers over A has done the trick.  I am 3 or 4 sessions in with no problems at all, now, with MSFS at any rate.

Edited by Paul_Yorks
typo

Paul Skol

Paul_Yorks, I have an Nvidia RTX 3080 and there is no USB port. I think I will try the "type c" PCIE card; I ordered it today and it will be here Thursday.

Edited by williehayes52

Basically the issue is insufficient power supply on the USB bus which is amazing since the G2 comes with its own power supply. Which apparently does not deliver power to the USB Bus. But after all, it's not an USB hub.

I experienced the same issues as reported here, random pauses with screen going dark (sometimes reliably caused by the touchdown sound - every VFR landing ends blind here :)) and audio going away, and occasionally crashes. They are caused by the Reverb audio device going offline - MSFS 2020 does not like it at all if devices it is using are changed while it is running (unplugging the whole Reverb from power will cause issues as well). I fixed the issue by carefully distributing USB connections over the PC and a USB hub with a power supply. My rig has both Honeycomb controls and flight rudders, all three of them drawing power from their USB connection. All of them are now on a USB hub with its own power supply.

You will definitely have those issues if the audio device of the Reverb identifies just as "USB 2.0 audio device" on your machine. This indicates the problem. If everything is working properly it identifies as something like "Windows Mixed Reality Audio V...." and as an USB 3.0 device. Everything will be smooth from here.

Try to setup an USB hub with a power supply and/or using USB 3.1 Gen2 usb connections which are specified for higher currents (keep fingers crossed that your board supplies them).

• Like 1

I have some sets of about 6 blackouts in the G2, each about half a second, and after that everything works fine. Now changed to a USB 3.2 powered USB hub to see if it makes a difference. At least the G2 is still recognized.

MS FS 2020 | I9-13900K@5.8 GHZ  | 64 GB DDR5 4800mhz |  ASUS TUF RTX 4090 O24G Gaming   | HP Reverb G2 | Navigraph | VATSIM | TPR Pedals | Virpil collective & stick | Honeycomb | 2023: Real life RPL MLA microlight trainee (Ikarus C42CS)

Same problem, and not fixed changing in different USB ports even self powered. It is strange as this week all was fine. But I updated openxr and wmr and maybe those are the culprits.

• Upvote 1

Javier Rollon. Owner of JRollon Planes for Xplane

11 hours ago, Japo32 said:

Same problem, and not fixed changing in different USB ports even self powered. It is strange as this week all was fine. But I updated openxr and wmr and maybe those are the culprits.

Have you tried this trick, go over the diskC:, right click, properties, then clean disk and tick DirectX cache. I have the GPU sleeping some weeks ago waiting a PCIe riser that broke, and this is one of the first things I am going to do to try, check without and then do that and watch if there is any difference noticeable, some people says no and other says that have a little improvement in fps and smoothness.

it seems that is the cable. Again. I have had 3 cables already. This last one was a v2 version of it, but it seems they only last me 2 months. I treat them as gold, but it is impossible. One thing that I have noticed is that I usually have this cable problems once I run MSFS. Usually I am a DCS-IL2 person in VR, but sometimes I want to jump inside the cockpit in MSFS... and all of these three problems with the cables came after using 2 days or so in VR MSFS. In fact MSFS is the only sim that gives me this error. In DCS and IL2 I have an "unknown usb device device descriptor failed" after some time of ussage, but that error only produces a sound connect-disconect in windows while in VR and don't CTD.

With a cable a friend shared with me to test, everything is normal (until is broken using it). Reported already to RMA, and at the beggining they wanted to leave me without solving it, saying that I had to find the issue by my own, even I am still in garantee. I replied that is not acceptable, and I would accept they would send me an HP computer to only make the testings if they wanted to. Finally I had to reply and record my problem and report. Hope they will send me a full new device, because I am tired of this situation with HP Reverb G2.

• Upvote 1

@Japo32 Try to press harder the cable in the glasses side till really attach, sure is not your case although maybe, I read to someone that in the past, fortunately I am no experiencing nothing of that from about 4 months or so from I have the G2, knocking wood.

Then are the AMD issues with the G2, that it is solved with the new cable, although you are aware of that sure.

yes... they are fixed with electric tape to  the googles in two places (front and near the clip) so there is no bending.  Now I am trying to put them without folding, because when you do it, there is a bend in the cord near the google connection.

• Upvote 1