Sign in to follow this  
Tom_L

Terrain issues after 1.12.13.0 update

55 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

The first comment says there are still issues in USA after installing this mod.

We want a global fix from Asobo or the possibility to revert to previous builds disabling multiplayer. This downward spiral in the quality of the game update after update is not acceptable for an AAA title.

I hope he does however disclose his method for the sake of learning, because he found some documentation somewhere that told him how to do it, hence he didn't know how to do it 2 days ago. So I hope he graciously shares the knowledge (and it looks like a few places still missing). There are a few in the US for instance, but it is only sporadic. I agree though it is egregious that Asobo did not fix this themselves, I saw the CGL method mentioned once, and I just thought to myself "well if it were that simple, Asobo would have fixed it". So in that sense, I am now crying that Asobo didn't fix it 🙂

Want to stay positive, just sad about Asobo...

I will still think to myself "What a wonderful world MSFS is", even if Asobo doesn't fix it.

Now back to my airports, hopefully I am better at fixing airports than I am at elevation errors 🙂

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 2

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

1 hour ago, Alpine Scenery said:

I hope he does however disclose his method for the sake of learning, because he found some documentation somewhere that told him how to do it, hence he didn't know how to do it 2 days ago. So I hope he graciously shares the knowledge (and it looks like a few places still missing). There are a few in the US for instance, but it is only sporadic. I agree though it is egregious that Asobo did not fix this themselves, I saw the CGL method mentioned once, and I just thought to myself "well if it were that simple, Asobo would have fixed it". So in that sense, I am now crying that Asobo didn't fix it 🙂

Want to stay positive, just sad about Asobo...

I will still think to myself "What a wonderful world MSFS is", even if Asobo doesn't fix it.

Now back to my airports, hopefully I am better at fixing airports than I am at elevation errors 🙂

I think he just recovered pre-Dec 22nd CGL files from a backup he had...see this thread (in particular the post on Dec 28th 6:00pm by mappamundi himself)

A global solution for the world-wide spike & elevation artifacts introduced by Update 1.12.13 - Community / General Discussion - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

• Like 1

Great news! In the past two days we had a fix for the spikes and also for the reduced vegetation LOD.

Asobo have their work cut out! Just need to integrate the many fixes provided by the community

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, peroni said:

Great news! In the past two days we had a fix for the spikes and also for the reduced vegetation LOD.

Asobo have their work cut out! Just need to integrate the many fixes provided by the community

Actually I consider it EXTREMELY depressing that all it took was a simple copy job to fix, and Asobo didn't do the 30 minutes of work and put us modders through all that mess. I expended over 100 hours over the past month, admittedly voluntarily. I did consider using older files, but as I did not have a backup and also had concerns of distribution and was not even sure it would work, so I took the hard road.

Sorry if i am a bit upset at Asobo right now, but they could have used the old files, sheesh on them. Asobo had all these files and chose to leave us with invalid files for absolutely no reason. As a modder and airport developer, this leaves an extremely sour taste, and I hope they make up for it somehow.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

OK, OK.  I now have 3 supposed elevation fixes downloaded (US Elevation Fixes - Alpine Scenery, Elevation Fixes World - Alpine, and mappamundi-elevation fixes..).  Can I use them all, or is only one preferred.  HELP 😰.  (And I used to not have spikes until yesterday - most recent file installed in Community was bot tree fix).

Dave Hinson

Maybe Asobo can't fix it right now because of the holidays. It could be possible (I hope) that they fix it after they're back to work.

24 minutes ago, bvdboomen said:

Maybe Asobo can't fix it right now because of the holidays. It could be possible (I hope) that they fix it after they're back to work.

Pretty sure they are taking a well earned break. 

• Like 1

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

On 12/29/2020 at 2:43 AM, Alpine Scenery said:

Actually I consider it EXTREMELY depressing that all it took was a simple copy job to fix, and Asobo didn't do the 30 minutes of work and put us modders through all that mess. I expended over 100 hours over the past month, admittedly voluntarily. I did consider using older files, but as I did not have a backup and also had concerns of distribution and was not even sure it would work, so I took the hard road.

Sorry if i am a bit upset at Asobo right now, but they could have used the old files, sheesh on them. Asobo had all these files and chose to leave us with invalid files for absolutely no reason. As a modder and airport developer, this leaves an extremely sour taste, and I hope they make up for it somehow.

You are 100% correct. Asobo has proven they are very amateurish when it comes to a lot of things. 

12 hours ago, hanhamreds said:

Pretty sure they are taking a well earned break. 

That's not the point, the point is they updated the files incorrectly 3+ times and didn't fix it for a month, when it was a quick and simple fix.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, DaveH said:

OK, OK.  I now have 3 supposed elevation fixes downloaded (US Elevation Fixes - Alpine Scenery, Elevation Fixes World - Alpine, and mappamundi-elevation fixes..).  Can I use them all, or is only one preferred.  HELP 😰.  (And I used to not have spikes until yesterday - most recent file installed in Community was bot tree fix).

Dave Hinson

I noted in my World Fix that that one is discontinued.

As far as the US Elevation fixes, well he has mixed different CGL files from multiple builds now, so I have no way of knowing which spikes exist where without testing it, which would take too long. My advice, use his global fix first, then only use my elevation fix if you are troubleshooting an area that wasn't fixed. I'll have to check a few areas and see, but no time right now.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

On 12/29/2020 at 6:43 PM, Alpine Scenery said:

Actually I consider it EXTREMELY depressing that all it took was a simple copy job to fix, and Asobo didn't do the 30 minutes of work and put us modders through all that mess.

Given the impact that 2020 had had on billions around the world, I’d say you need to get a bit of word not allowed perspective about oversights/missteps/bugs in a flight sim.

Edited by scotchegg
  • Like 3

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

1 hour ago, scotchegg said:

Given the impact that 2020 had had on billions around the world, I’d say you need to get a bit of word not allowed perspective about oversights/missteps/bugs in a flight sim.

It's not an oversight or a bug, it was the creation of invalid data, and then therefore copying (packaging) invalid files, not once, not twice, but three times at least, and then leaving it that way for over a month.

They didn't just do it to one area or in one release, it happened over and over again in multiple releases to different areas. Furthermore, the reason it is not an oversight is because people were complaining hundreds, if not thousands of times about the problem, and instead of repacking working files, which only takes 15-30 minutes, they let people think it was an underlying mesh issue. Excuses don't matter when in comparison to the 'norm' of what is expected, this is the biggest blunder I've seen ever in 25+ years of being at a PC. Have never seen a game released with invalid mesh everywhere, and then all they had to do was provide a different mix of files. I am sure it has happened in a smaller release on some obscure title, but never seen it.

Covid has nothing to do with releasing something that can be fixed by just repacking different files, when they are repeating the mistake over and over and over again. That is an intergalactic faery tale that you invented out of thin space.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 7

@muppamundi

Thank you for the fix, I along with many others I am sure cant say how much this is appreciated.

I am beginning to have a Love Hate feeling towards MSFS2020.

I love it when it is working correctly, it looks fantastic, runs fantastic, and provides a lot of fun.

I am beginning to hate it when I am forced through the mandatory update system to update a perfectly fine working sim and you simply don’t know what they may break.

For me, two of the so called updates have created major issues, The one that put skyscrapers all over the place and the last one which made all these spicks basically all over the world.

Thankfully, both were fixed, quickly by the community and the tall buildings was eventual fixed by Microsoft.

My concern is what will the next mandatory update break?

It would be great if Microsoft either did better Quality Control before releasing a Mandatory update or give users the option to not update if the sim is working fine.

I have submitted a ticket saying this.

These are my thoughts and again a BIG THANKS to mappamundi

Best wishes
Bob

Edited by rlaycock
  • Like 1

Good news on this from the official forums:

At this time, we do not need any further reports on this issue. The developers have addressed it. Thank you!

So is it fixed?  Or is the fix being released in the next update?  Or what?  Would it be too hard to specify what is going on instead of giving us a vague non-statement?

I swear it's like George Orwell's 1984 over on the official MSFS forum.  They have also been not only closing but also de-listing from the forum entirely other threads where people have mentioned this issue.

I have no problems with moderators closing duplicate threads but on every forum I have ever used, de-listing was reserved for spam or gross violations of the TOS.  I also notice that the threads they delist always seem to be the ones about problems with the sim....

• Like 2

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals