Future of X-plane

8 minutes ago, akita said:

"they've been working BTS"

Uh... BTS? Are you talking about this people:

1040805592_0:111:2384:1401_1000x541_80_0

I can assure you they are not game developers 😛

Edited by BiologicalNanobot
  • Like 1

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

43 minutes ago, GoranM said:

Does that mean MSFS is "some game", because it's designed for XBOX?  😉

And speaking for myself, I haven't heard of any PS5 port for X-Plane.  It has been, and always will be, designed for Linux, Mac and Windows.  

To me both Xplane and MSFS are games and/Or sims. They are both used for entertainment purposes. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, peroni said:

I have the utmost respect for you and your work on the TBM

Why, thank you! 😉

1 hour ago, peroni said:

just want to point out their CEO and one of the main developer is a pilot, a very recent one but a pilot nonetheless, he posted a pic of his PPL/A on Twitter a few months ago.

They may very well have a passion for it.  But for them to give up game development, and focus on MSFS, Microsoft must have dangled a very big carrot, or they really REALLY love flight sims.  Thing is, if the people you mentioned only recently got a PPL, I would say it's a very large undertaking to create something even PMDG wouldn't touch.  A flight sim.  But whatever...I never had a problem with Asobo coming into the flight sim market.  I have a problem with people screaming "RIP X-Plane" and "X-Plane will never catch up!".  Why would some people want X-Plane to die, and put several hundred developers out of business??  

Edited by GoranM
  • Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

To me both Xplane and MSFS are games and/Or sims. They are both used for entertainment purposes. 

How about we don't go down that rabbit hole?  Because that's a whole other forum topic.  I'll just leave this one link here, and let it be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peroni said:

Any more I might have missed?

Multiplayer. For serious RW pilots.

6 hours ago, Janov said:

X-Plane will again be a niche in a niche - for the fans and hardcore enthusiasts.

I used to think that way before the release of MFS, now I'm not so sure anymore.

XP currently has around 30% of MFS users, and increasing since October. That percentage is definitely not a niche, like it was when XP had like 1-2% of MSFS users. And also considering that XP11 is at the end of its life cycle.

I think it depends mainly on what LR will bring for XP12. If it will have modern visuals (including weather), it's highly unlikely it will go back as a niche simulator. Streamed photoscenery is certainly a nice thing, but IMO not enough to restrict a competing sim to niche-figures, if the rest of features is on par or better.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

4 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

Multiplayer. For serious RW pilots.

You're probably being sarcastic, but I think multiplayer with other human players, if coordinated by (AI or human) ATC, is certainly more realistic than AI traffic. Infact MFS has had a good idea implementing it.

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

31 minutes ago, Murmur said:

I used to think that way before the release of MFS, now I'm not so sure anymore.

XP currently has around 30% of MFS users, and increasing since October. That percentage is definitely not a niche, like it was when XP had like 1-2% of MSFS users. And also considering that XP11 is at the end of its life cycle.

I think it depends mainly on what LR will bring for XP12. If it will have modern visuals (including weather), it's highly unlikely it will go back as a niche simulator. Streamed photoscenery is certainly a nice thing, but IMO not enough to restrict a competing sim to niche-figures, if the rest of features is on par or better.

Exactly this.

2 hours ago, GoranM said:

designed for Linux

Therefore compatible with playstation OS

2 hours ago, Janov said:

What I think is not true:

• PS5 port
  • Eastern Europe developer studio

PS5 port is pushing the boundaries of evidence, its based solely on 

1. It would be really easy for them to do, Sony would even likely invest in the marketing

2. If Sony did invest in the marketing, they would have signed an NDA and couldn't talk about anything new without permission from SIE

3. It would be good and good value, because PSVR and move controllers are really good, and the PS5 hardware destroys 90% of current PCs. In fact I'd go as far as saying it could easily be the strongest VR offering of any platform, not just flightsim.

dev studio comes from Austins own lips in one of the interviews/talks he has done over the last couple of years.

I think it might have been one of these towards the end, but I dont have the exact link to hand and quickly scrolling through I couldn't find it

may have been one of the Threshold sit downs

Which is this iirc

Edited by mSparks
  • Upvote 1

AutoATC Developer

30 minutes ago, Murmur said:

I think it depends mainly on what LR will bring for XP12. If it will have modern visuals (including weather), 

If by "modern visuals" you mean realistic weather and atmosphere lighting and depiction with moving and forming 3d clouds, storms, weather effects, hail, ice accumulation etc well that's not something LR have the time or skills to do. For instance, XEnviro have been trying for years but the results and performance are not worthy. When the trailer comes for the next version of XP I feel for LR because compared to MSFS it will be embarrassing.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Greazer said:

If by "modern visuals" you mean realistic weather and atmosphere lighting and depiction with moving and forming 3d clouds, storms, weather effects, hail, ice accumulation etc well that's not something LR have the time or skills to do. For instance, XEnviro have been trying for years but the results and performance are not worthy. When the trailer comes for the next version of XP I feel for LR because compared to MSFS it will be embarrassing.

Isn't it a great coincidence that XP11 and you have the same age? 5 years old!

Edited by Murmur
  • Like 8

I guess it's time for this thread to be locked.

Edited by BiologicalNanobot

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

18 minutes ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

I guess it's time for this thread to be locked.

Well, its only time for this thread to be locked...for one person 🤣.

And there is a world of difference between an "eastern european developer" and an "eastern european studio".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

PS: If you have subscribed to the X-Plane newsletter you should have received the "Happy Holidays from X-Plane" newsletter - with a picture showing all of the Laminar team and freelance contributors. Thats everyone working on X-Plane (give and take a few people getting hired for quick jobs now and then).

Cheers, Jan

• Upvote 1

For X-plane 12 one thing I would like to see is some sort of block or on screen notification to prevent you loading an add on that is going to cause issues. I've spent much of today trying to solve a loading crash. Turns out it was caused by Navigraph loading data directly into the plugins folder rather than into 124atc where it was meant to be. Not X-Planes fault but surely there should be some way to stop it trying to load or to flag it up rather than just crash the sim?

49 minutes ago, Janov said:

between an "eastern european developer" and an "eastern european studio".

yeah, "studio" is generally what happens after they have a successful launch

http://profile.baltic-games.eu/introduction/

26 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

flag it up rather than just crash the sim?

Generally speaking you will get a "xplane crashed because of plugin XXX" at the end of the log file, that's been there for a while. If the crash happens off thread on windows there isn't much anyone can do, because windows threading support is so [words developers use to describe computers] and antiquated, Linux and mac will generally give precise details always, generally with human readable feadback the dev can use to fix it.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer