Sign in to follow this  
Treetops45

What is Driving the GPU Market??

That'll probably just cause the miners to buy more cards which will make the situation even worse.

Edited by W2DR
kant spel

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

13 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Last 2080 Ti I saw was almost as expensive as a 3080. 

Nvidia are reducing the performance of their latest cards by 50% when used to mine Etherium. Lets hope that helps.

I guess its a bit like the tax on mining I suggested earlier, a performance tax.

How depressing. Those buying cards not used for games are a curse. 😢

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Prices on the 1xxx and 2xxx series cards are ridiculous.  For the same amount of money, you can buy a 3xxx series card, if you can find one.  I do not see the situation getting any better.  As cryptocurrencies continue to increase in value and popularity, look for even more demand on computer builders and component manufacturers.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

1 hour ago, stans said:

Prices on the 1xxx and 2xxx series cards are ridiculous.  For the same amount of money, you can buy a 3xxx series card, if you can find one.  I do not see the situation getting any better.  As cryptocurrencies continue to increase in value and popularity, look for even more demand on computer builders and component manufacturers.

As I mentioned, Nvidia are dumbing down the performance by 50% when used to mine Ethereum. Ethereum is the main currency mined so it will help. So gaming will be unaffected, just mining. They said they will also release a mining specific processor. 

Hopefully it will help.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56114508

Graphics card-maker Nvidia says it will deliberately reduce the efficiency of its latest card by 50% when it is used to mine the crypto-currency Ethereum.

Crypto-currency enthusiasts have contributed to a shortage of graphics cards by snapping up supplies to use for non-gaming purposes.

Nvidia said it had intervened to make sure its products "end up in the hands of gamers".

But it will also sell a bespoke crypto-currency mining processor.

Edited by martin-w

On 2/19/2021 at 1:43 PM, martin-w said:

Last 2080 Ti I saw was almost as expensive as a 3080. 

Nvidia are reducing the performance of their latest cards by 50% when used to mine Etherium. Lets hope that helps.

I guess its a bi

This is only for the 3060, not the « latest cards », and not built in the hardware but in the driver (thus open to 3rd party tweaks). And  only for one kind of mining. 

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2021/02/18/geforce-cmp/

if it goes on like that, it is going to kill the higher-end  gaming desktop, specially the home-made segment. At that time, I do not see when I will be able to build a new one with the CPU which will be out mid-year.  

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

On 3/1/2021 at 8:26 AM, Dominique_K said:

This is only for the 3060, not the « latest cards », and not built in the hardware but in the driver (thus open to 3rd party tweaks). And  only for one kind of mining. 

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2021/02/18/geforce-cmp/

if it goes on like that, it is going to kill the higher-end  gaming desktop, specially the home-made segment. At that time, I do not see when I will be able to build a new one with the CPU which will be out mid-year. 

3060 yes, and its not just the driver. Its the BIOS. Nvidia have said its not just the driver. I posted about it before. 

It is one kind of mining, Etherium, which Nvidia say has the biggest yield and puts the most strain on supply.  

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-anti-mining-algoritm-is-not-just-a-driver-thing-technology-could-expand-to-more-skus

There is a secure handshake between the driver, the RTX 3060 silicon, and the BIOS (firmware) that prevents removal of the hash rate limiter.

21 hours ago, martin-w said:

its not just the driver. Its the BIOS.

Do you have a Nvidia direct source not a quote from a 3rd party site ?

I find the "There is a secure handshake between the driver, the RTX 3060 silicon, and the BIOS (firmware) that prevents removal of the hash rate limiter." rather vague...

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

20 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

Do you have a Nvidia direct source not a quote from a 3rd party site ?

I find the "There is a secure handshake between the driver, the RTX 3060 silicon, and the BIOS (firmware) that prevents removal of the hash rate limiter." rather vague...

That quote is from Twitter, a direct source, from Brian Del Rizzo. Nvidia global PR director.  I'm sure if you are inclined, you can nip along to Twitter and access the Tweet directly. I don't believe there's any more detail on the Nvidia site. As Is ay, this is Brian Del Rizzo, so he's not making this up. 

It was linked to in the article...

https://twitter.com/bdelrizzo/status/1362619264423747590?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1362619264423747590|twgr^|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fvideocardz.com%2Fnewz%2Fnvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-anti-mining-algoritm-is-not-just-a-driver-thing-technology-could-expand-to-more-skus

• Like 1

OK then, thanks !  Better to have it from the horse's mouth.

Let's see if they can extend that to the 3080 and 3090 lines  and refocus the market on gamers. This situation gets utterly ridiculous. 

Dominique

I remember the good old days when top end graphics cards for less than £500, and you could get decent mid range ones for £150. Nowadays, you are lucky to get an abacus for the latter.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

6 hours ago, goates said:

In that very article they tell us Nvidia said its the BIOS as well. 

I'm no software expert, but this was tools that Nvidia left in the driver. I'm guessing those tools switched off the components in the driver and accessed the BIOS to do the same. 

Aparently, the hacking that was reported recently had minimal impact. Maybe that suggests both driver and BIOS are important.

But in any case, I don't belive Nvidia would lie and claim it was both driver and BIOS if it wasn't. 

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

But in any case, I don't belive Nvidia would lie and claim it was both driver and BIOS if it wasn't. 

No, of course, cough,cough

Dominique

6 hours ago, martin-w said:

In that very article they tell us Nvidia said its the BIOS as well. 

And which the article calls into question.

6 hours ago, martin-w said:

I'm no software expert, but this was tools that Nvidia left in the driver. I'm guessing those tools switched off the components in the driver and accessed the BIOS to do the same. 

I wouldn't put it past Nvidia at all to lie about it, they've pulled some shady things in the past, or least exaggerate what they did. This proves that whatever they tried to do to lock out crypto mining could be overridden with just the driver. If it really was as secure as Nvidia claimed, I wouldn't have expected the developer driver to work like this on end user GPUs.

Either way, the cat is out of the bag now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

No, of course, cough,cough

Ha...well know, because it can be verified.