Sign in to follow this  
Treetops45

What is Driving the GPU Market??

I recently upgraded the major components in my PC:  - MOBO, CPU & RAM.

I wanted to upgrade the GPU as well, but the one I was looking for was OOS at online suppliers, but available on Ebay, between $800 & $1,000. (Quoted OOS price was $499). $800 is beyond my current budget.

An alternative was available at a Retailer for $825, & a 4 month old review said they had 'picked it up for $200, great GPU etc etc.'

But I am not sure of the veracity of the "$200" price.

My question is, what is driving the shortages & are they likely to get better or worse in the next 6 months??

T45

It`s not just the GPU`s that are effected according to the industry all hardware is now being affected by supply shortages, including chips used in the car industry and some may have halt production on some models with high tech interiors. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

The electronics drought shows how frail companies and supply lines are in today's business world.

'Just in time' production my word not allowed; so many corporate failures of flexibility and adaption.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Greed. But, in the words of the immortal Gordon Gekko, greed is good.

• Like 2

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

14 hours ago, VeryBumpy said:

The electronics drought shows how frail companies and supply lines are in today's business world.

'Just in time' production my word not allowed; so many corporate failures of flexibility and adaption.

Maybe freight airlines / boats are moving more profitable ppe/vaccines/testing kits rather than rubber duckies

Edited by fluffyflops

14ppkc-6.png

Well IF the financial experts are to be believed it will all come crashing down in 12-18months with a world wide recession as bad as 2008.   

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

55 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

Well IF the financial experts are to be believed it will all come crashing down in 12-18months with a world wide recession as bad as 2008.

Or worse..........

P.S Keep your mask on.

Edited by W2DR
kant spel

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Production issues due to Covid
Supply chain issues due to Covid
Samsung unable to ship enough wafers (production cap)

Some issues are out of Nvidias control - but some aren't.

• Like 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

1 hour ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

It boils down to extremely poor decision making at the CEO/Executive level that started many years earlier and finally came to a head ... of course they blame it all on the Pandemic. 

Mr Jen-Hsun Huang earned over $11 Million last year in salary and compensation even though he failed to see this coming (or more accurate did nothing and could see it coming) ... with repeated warning signs in prior years where they were not able to meet demand. 

So for some bizarre reason, knowing that his company has a GPU design that runs 25-50% faster than prior generations for half the cost, he didn't think demand would be high??  He was definitely "high", but there is no excuse or blame game when one earns that kind of money yearly.  Rather than invest in Fabrication/Manufacturing facilities years ago, he elected to be "the victim" today. 

The supply issue is going to last even longer than initially anticipated for both nVidia and AMD, not sure about Intel.

Cheers, Rob.

Well just about every CEO failed to see this coming.  Global supply chain shortages, rolling manufacturing plant shut downs based on CV levels globally.  We have manufacturing all over the Globe and EVERY single one is impacted, some worse than others, most products that were 6 week lead times are 6 months.  Every tech manufacturer is impacted unless they were sitting on MASSIVE inventory stockpiles which is not something investors like to see on the books.  

BTW, it's not just tech, we had to replace a dishwasher last week, 12 weeks minimum to get a Bosch, The Snow Blower I wanted went out of stock in October, they've been "indefinitely waiting" ever since, Hankook can't get race tires to the track for months, quite honestly I'm more surprised when something is readily available at this point.  This is SOOOO much bigger than GPU's... 

Edited by psolk

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

25 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Most resellers are doing absolutely nothing to prevent scalping and some appear to be joining in on the markup.  Even EVGA gave up on the notification process they initially established.  

The timeline for getting an AMD 5950X or an nVidia 3090 components at "retail" prices, has now been pushed back to summer (and that's a maybe) and that's almost a full year after the product was released.  This problem started long before COVID.

Cheers, Rob.

This is a big part of the issue in this particular situation that maybe it's just me but this is by far the most pronounced and obvious case I personally remember especially as far as PC components go! 

Completely agree that supply chain issues are one thing, not having a distribution mechanism that protects your customers is unforgivable...   Not sure on Intel but they haven't been without their own issues  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-08/intel-accused-by-workers-of-prioritizing-chip-output-over-safety and who knows if part of the 7nm delays are related.  Intel is already a year behind on the 7nm. 

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Perhaps with hindsight, it would have been better to wait until the supply chain was in place before unleashing the blaze of publicity. It seems to be a current fashion to release vast quantities of hyperbole followed by an unfinished product that is not ready, whether that be hardware or software.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

So for some bizarre reason, knowing that his company has a GPU design that runs 25-50% faster than prior generations for half the cost, he didn't think demand would be high?? 

Reminds me of Disney's Aladan... 'New lamps for old! New lamps for old!'. And the character Jen-Hsun Huang is saying 'Probably very few Arabians will want to trade in their lamps'.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

MS sold one million copies of FS the first week or on the market and it has been selling well since. a lot of those buyers are gamers and did not have a PC, hence the demand for them and controllers. I saw something at release time that the electronics industry was expecting a 5 billion dollar increase in sales overall for the year.

13 hours ago, Reader said:

Perhaps with hindsight, it would have been better to wait until the supply chain was in place before unleashing the blaze of publicity. It seems to be a current fashion to release vast quantities of hyperbole followed by an unfinished product that is not ready, whether that be hardware or software.

I'm guessing some clever marketing guru has stats to prove if you release a half baked product and get it blasted all over social media and get some influencers involved to promote it enough then you can make a ton of money.   Whether it's finished or not it's not it their concern after they have your money. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

14ppkc-6.png