Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

I LOVE These New MSFS Clouds

13 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

thought I had seen the grass and trees move in the wind, admittedly fairly high winds.

Yep. Saw gusts going through the grass next to the apron at ENVA today, looked impressive, maybe because I just didn’t expect it. But yes, have to admit that I set winds to around 70-80kts with gusts because I wanted to check takeoff performance of the FBW neo in strong winds

• Like 1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

49 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

So there all touch up? OK

Well yeah. Not deliberately but most cell phones etc do sharpen and increase saturation.  It is because we naturally seem to prefer sharpened and slightly over saturated photos.

50 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

So there all touch up? OK

Did I say that? No. I said that the picture you posted was most likely touched up, enhanced in some sort of way. 

Looks are subjective anyways. But what would be nice if REX could make their sky textures for MSFS. That way we can choose our own sky themes and colors. Asides that, the clouds do look absolutely breath taking now. I refuse to fly with clear skies now.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

delete ... duplicate post

Edited by captain420

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

OK all pictures are touch up and red sky are just over saturated phone pictures.

I did not just post one picture I linked pages of them.

But if someone posted a black square some would argue it was grey.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

2 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

During my time in Egypt in the early 2000's, we actually did see a lot of sunrise/sunset's like that. 

I think a lot of people judge realism globally by what they’re used to locally. I know I’ve seen plenty of skies in Asia that I would not expect in Europe and vice versa.

• Like 2

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

2 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

The biggest difference between the sim and real life is when it is in real life the waterfalls move and when it is windy so do the low clouds, grass and trees.  Though I suspect that sort of animation will be a long way off being feasible in terms of hardware.

As far as saturation goes the sim, like most photos you can google, tends to be over-saturated.  Though it partly depends where you live as Ireland for example really IS that green but Australia is not,

You can turn the in sim saturation off by setting colorgrading=0 off in the usercfg.opt file.  As expected setting it to off looks more realistic for much of the world but leaving it on looks better effects wise. Unfortunately it is all or nothing, it is either on or off.

The clip below was recorded with color grading set to "off".

But the clouds DO move already, as do the trees and grass in the wind...

1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

OK all pictures are touch up and red sky are just over saturated phone pictures.

I did not just post one picture I linked pages of them.

But if someone posted a black square some would argue it was grey.

I went off from the one picture you posted and that was what I was referring to. You're right about that last statement. What the eyes and ears can see or hear are purely subjective. But for my eyes, I think the orange hues in the MSFS skies are a bit too much. It may be realistic for you and others, but for my eyes, not so much.

I do a lot of photography and in general, photography falls SHORT of the saturation in real life, especially at the low end red/orange spectrum.  I would agree that some of the photos posted above seem a bit overdone, but NOT by a huge margin, TBH.  I think MS's arent that far off from the reality I've experienced...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

If you're not seeing a difference, a trip to the eye doctor is ín order. 

I disagree.  I run a 21 in monitor at 1080P.  I sit sort of far away...  My eyes are fine.  Hardly any difference...but I didn't have the massive pixelations people were reporting before.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

My clouds setting was just moved to ULTRA by the update, Unsustainable in VR, moved back to Medium and they are same as before, well pixelated.

Edited by EmaRacing

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

5 hours ago, Carts85 said:

Still takes me by surprise how amazing this sim looks. Lovely shot.

It's still...mindboggling!  Beautiful Annecy, FR, before the FR update ;o)

Annecy.png

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, VFXSimmer said:

But the clouds DO move already, as do the trees and grass in the wind...

Well the clouds move but I was meaning something like fog whirling abut and skittling across the runway.

Same with grass and trees, i may be just missing seeing it, probably looking in the wrong place, but I was meaning effects more like the grass and bushes here:

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

11 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Well the clouds move but I was meaning something like fog whirling abut and skittling across the runway.

Same with grass and trees, i may be just missing seeing it, probably looking in the wrong place, but I was meaning effects more like the grass and bushes here:

Dial the wind up.. If you stand in a grassy field you get waves of movement through the grass.   As they work in their FX plugins the next step would be to have it be effected by propwash, turbine exhaust, etc.

Also, the clouds dynamically change shape as they move as well.  I've "virtually sat" on a mountaintop in the game and seen clouds blowing by - you do get a sense of swirling mist when you do that.

1 hour ago, VFXSimmer said:

I do a lot of photography and in general, photography falls SHORT of the saturation in real life, especially at the low end red/orange spectrum.

That's another element; I guess there's a common suspicion that any pictures we see online have been manipulated in some way.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea