Sign in to follow this  
LouP

People inside terminals

53 minutes ago, David Mills said:

but I can't see them because they're inside the building -- does this still affect FPS?

No, they won't affect fps, but their models and textures will use VRAM from your video card. How much, depends how large their models are, how many *different* textures they use, how many frame of animations they have and, most importantly, how well they are optimized with multiple LODs. In general, the MSFS graphic engine can take A LOT of beating, but the one and most important thing that helps with performances, are objects using multiple LOD levels as extensively as possible.

• Like 3

On 3/1/2021 at 2:39 PM, LouP said:

How many of you have actually got out of your aircraft an gone inside to see what's going on. 

I would go even further than that. 

When I fly long distance I will combine that with a city trip. Last time in KSFO i visited Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge, a walk on the beach with sunset. Great views when in VR using drone camera. Sitting on top of the bridge freaks me out because in VR my brain get similar sense of height and i fear height. In Paris I will climb the Eifel Tower using the drone camera and get those same senses.

And in addition to that I also try to restrict myself from popping in a plane at any time of day any place in the world.

NO. my departure airport can only be the one I arrived at earlier. I wonder how many of you have that same "compulsive" behavior ? 🙂

Edited by avhpilot
  • Like 2

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

ive walked around some of central london  and an airport in the phillipines. And even a bbq at a small local airfield somewhere in washington state, i recall. 

I would add that passenger ambience/noise, attendant announcements....make an 'immersion' difference to me. But i have flown a couple of arliners as well.from "cold and dark", IFR through to landing at destination airport, with ATC. The two are not mutually exclusive.:)

Edited by icewater5
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, avhpilot said:

I would go even further than that. 

When I fly long distance I will combine that with a city trip. Last time in KSFO i visited Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge, a walk on the beach with sunset. Great views when in VR using drone camera. Sitting on top of the bridge freaks me out because in VR my brain get similar sense of height and i fear height. In Paris I will climb the Eifel Tower using the drone camera and get those same senses.

And in addition to that I also try to restrict myself from popping in a plane at any time of day any place in the world.

NO. my departure airport can only be the one I arrived at earlier. I wonder how many of you have that same "compulsive" behavior ? 🙂

This really just adds another layer of immersion and feeling of presence on top of the flight sim for me.

The on ground exploration gives a better understanding of travel scale, distance and speed.

My latest adventure was actually driving from my Star Island home on Miami Beach to the airport.

Taking off outta of KMIA and then glancing down passing over Star Island at 250+ knots, knowing I had just driven on that causeway in a car at 70 mph.

Very interesting to see others who share the same sim style.🍻

KyNJtfT.png

aYFrlPU.png

uN584aM.png

bXzZGRf.png

ZoHOSW2.png

Edited by blueshark747
  • Like 3

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

I must say that first picture is so good its almost emotional. My only slight concern is that the hi-tech, core simulator people think that "airport inside terminal passenger" enthusiasts struggle to fly cessnas🙁,

AITP dumb question 😎

Edited by icewater5
  • Like 1

Realism. More of it not less. Since I started with Bruce Artwix's version years ago I have seen these postings decrying " realism" in favour of better flight model etc. For these people it was always an all or nothing proposition. Then it was the issue of more realism to the pyramid mountains or stick trees. No they cried! 

It's old. Get over it. Please more realism. Bring those airports alive. Immersiveness is what it is all about with games, simulations etc. Bring it on!

• Like 2

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

It is tthat u r right and so is Bruce Artwix. I wonder at times like these that people are a little bit embarassed to voice their opinions "terminal inside passenger animation" lovers are people just like you and me 😎 and as such deserve at least some respect 😊

Edited by icewater5

On 4/30/2022 at 11:08 AM, OzWhitey said:

Spud, this would be brilliant if you could do it. It would certainly be willing to spend a good few hours placing humans in airports if you created the library. I've spent a lot of time placing people for other sims, and it really does add a lot to the ambience.

https://flightsim.to/file/33166/animated-humans-library

Alright, there's an animated human library. There's a fair bit of variety. It could still use plenty more but it's obviously a bottomless pit. I'll add to it over time. 

Nothing super dramatic in terms of behaviour, mainly sitting looking gormless or standing looking gormless.

There'a bit of walking with a few but the fancier the animation is the worse it looks from a distance as the sim cuts frames based on distance. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

18 hours ago, superspud said:

https://flightsim.to/file/33166/animated-humans-library

Alright, there's an animated human library. There's a fair bit of variety. It could still use plenty more but it's obviously a bottomless pit. I'll add to it over time. 

Nothing super dramatic in terms of behaviour, mainly sitting looking gormless or standing looking gormless.

There'a bit of walking with a few but the fancier the animation is the worse it looks from a distance as the sim cuts frames based on distance. 

That's amazing! Spud, I did say that you were a flight sim legend.

Any pointers to a Youtube tutorial that would show us mere mortals how to place these? I've done a lot of this in FSX/P3D, but only with third-party tools.

No worries if you don't know of one, I'm sure I can work it out anon.

Thanks again, Spud. Still loving your airports, I think they're the best freeware MSFS has to offer.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Aerosofts free Paderborn scenery has people and it doesn’t impact performance too much. Plus it adds to immersion for me at least. 

As long there is a frame hit i wish there would be an option to turn it off, but i'm all for it when my computer hardware can handle it.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

2 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

That's amazing! Spud, I did say that you were a flight sim legend.

Any pointers to a Youtube tutorial that would show us mere mortals how to place these? I've done a lot of this in FSX/P3D, but only with third-party tools.

No worries if you don't know of one, I'm sure I can work it out anon

Ah, I thought you'd done it for MSFS before. 

You could try Mamu's videos - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmOoYpfSsm2FR3dJs4e9z4Q/videos 

Or I've done a written guide here - https://flightsim.to/file/17656/a-guide-to-msfs-scenery-creation

It need an update big time but nothing radical has changed, mainly additions rather than changes. I really should do a quick start type guide. 

For your needs I would look at the 'MSFS Airport and Scenery Creation' PDF and mainly check pages 34-46 and 68-71. A lot of the rest of it is about adding airport elements which aren't relevant. 

Here's some project files already created to open in the SDK. There is one drunk airline captain placed at one of the Spanish world update airports, can't remember which. Click on him in the Scenery Editor object list and it'll take you there - https://www.mediafire.com/file/7cyd6jfongmc1qk/Airport+People.zip/file 

If you want to place people inside Asobo custom terminals like world update ones, you can no longer enter any of them after SU9. The collision box bounces the camera off the surface and throws you over the top. 

I guess you'll have to place people from afar in those and hope for the best. Most other developers don't make buildings beyond the immediate apron collidable. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, superspud said:

Ah, I thought you'd done it for MSFS before. 

You could try Mamu's videos - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmOoYpfSsm2FR3dJs4e9z4Q/videos 

Or I've done a written guide here - https://flightsim.to/file/17656/a-guide-to-msfs-scenery-creation

So much thanks for the heads up! 

And great work on those animated people, your huge work Is gonna increase the immersion a lot when on the ground!

BtwI,  have a tutorial about animated people in my to do list (as well as the method Aerosoft use to move them inside the terminals)..i love "life" and animations, add sono much!

11 hours ago, mamu82 said:

BtwI,  have a tutorial about animated people in my to do list (as well as the method Aerosoft use to move them inside the terminals)..i love "life" and animations, add sono much!

I will definitely look forward to seeing that.

I still can't get any rigged animation out of Blender, or rather anything imported into it as I've little idea how to animate rigged stuff myself, without the same old distortion issues. It's getting old. 

More animals is the next one I'd like to have a play with.