Sign in to follow this  
FrankR409

Just Flight PA-28R Arrow III (for MSFS) released

2 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Wondering if any of these testers have any experience in a real GA aircraft as PIC? 

When student solo he is PIC. But it doesn't covey much experience 🙂

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

3 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Wondering if any of these testers have any experience in a real GA aircraft as PIC? 

Several current on the PA28, with a few that have it in their logbook in the past.

Just now, sd_flyer said:

When student solo he is PIC. But it doesn't covey much experience 🙂

If he can't do a crosswind landing, he wouldn't be soloing if he had a decent instructor. Even a student should be able to detect a wacky rudder. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

In my opinion best testers are first and foremost simmers and... in addition: owners of real counterpart or instructors who actually instruct in counterpart. Also could be renters but with 100+ hours in make and model

Just now, Bobsk8 said:

If he can't do a crosswind landing, he wouldn't be soloing if he had a decent instructor. Even a student should be able to detect a wacky rudder. 

There is always restriction on crosswind component per solo student derived by CFI, flight school and so on

1 minute ago, sd_flyer said:

In my opinion best testers are first and foremost simmers and... in addition: owners of real counterpart or instructors who actually instruct in counterpart. Also could be renters but with 100+ hours in make and model

What surprises me is that a day after the aircraft is released, simmers of all experience levels seem to immediately find issues with the product. Doesn't take them a week or a month, or dozens of flights, they do a few touch and goes or a one hours flight , and see problems  that to them is obvious. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

3 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

There is always restriction on crosswind component per solo student derived by CFI, flight school and so on

Some day I will tell you about my first full day of solo, and there was a strong crosswind from the north  at KFLL 9R. I still shudder when I think about it, and that was almost 40 years ago. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bobsk8 said:

Some day I will tell you about my first full day of solo, and there was a strong crosswind from the north  at KFLL 9R. I still shudder when I think about it, and that was almost 40 years ago. 

During my first solo my CFI said just don't fly into clouds. I got rain, crosswind as soon as I got airborne and frankly under stress forgot how to do crosswind controls!  Got blown off final fad to go around and use total recall of crosswind technique I have ever learn. LOL So from 7 kts x-wing limit I ended up battling 10 kts. It was a lot for me at the time! And yes my first CFI wasn't very good. More like puppy mill CFI 🙂 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

What surprises me is that a day after the aircraft is released, simmers of all experience levels seem to immediately find issues with the product. Doesn't take them a week or a month, or dozens of flights, they do a few touch and goes or a one hours flight , and see problems  that to them is obvious. 

Possibly unpopular opinion, but this is why I was never fond of pilots who are not avid simmers giving feedback on anything sim-related. So many of them don’t know what to look for and don’t know what is possible with the platform and how accurate things can really get with some hard work from the devs. I’ve seen it many times where they’ve been satisfied with crappy flight modeling and bugs everywhere. Along with your hundreds or thousands of flight hours, you’d best have thousands of sim hours too.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

22 hours ago, xender said:

This is what i mean with the prop animation @JustFlightScott

Sorry about the quality

I have asked about it too but if you've gone to support that will help.  I'll see what comes up when looking at this.

21 hours ago, Tailwinds said:

I wish you'd stop saying that. Seriously, remember last week when JF said they weren't releasing because they wanted to test over the weekend? Well like I've already said, how on earth did they miss this blatantly obvious bug?

It wasn't spotted that's why so not that blatant.  Couldn't even find it last night when we had the grand number of 1 person report it.

Now we have a bit more detail we can take a look though and it'll be sorted.

Thanks.

Long time simmer, PA28 pilot and Experienced beta-tester (yes even for the JF Arrow)

Many of us pointed out rudder handling, especially during flare -landing transition. But MSFS core behavior seems to be hard to alter/modify. It has been brought up several times during testing and JF is aware but I am not sure how much they can control actually. 

• Like 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

20 hours ago, LouP said:

I opened a ticket with JF as I do not see any codes except for the order number on my previous purchase.

LouP

Let me know if you don't get it sorted.

2 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

During my first solo my CFI said just don't fly into clouds. I got rain, crosswind as soon as I got airborne and frankly under stress forgot how to do crosswind controls!  Got blown off final fad to go around and use total recall of crosswind technique I have ever learn. LOL So from 7 kts x-wing limit I ended up battling 10 kts. It was a lot for me at the time! And yes my first CFI wasn't very good. More like puppy mill CFI 🙂 

I took off after asking one of the instructors in the FOB (mine was out to lunch), if it was OK to solo today, as I did my first solo the day before. He said "Looks OK to me", It was an overcast day with a gusty wind from the North. So off I went. I rolled down the runway, and rotated the C 152, and as soon as the nose wheel left the ground, the aircraft swung quickly to the left  about 25 degrees at least. I thought something had gone wrong with the aircraft, so Immediately I yanked the power back to abort the takeoff, but I was already in the air by then. The 152 came down, on the grass in between the runway and the taxiway. Now there are light poles  and drainage ditches and who knows what else on that grass area, and at least I had sense enough to hold the stick all the way back, to keep weight off the nosewheel so the plane hopefully wouldn't flip over. I came to a stop on the taxiway which was about 100 feet parallel  to 9R. The tower then asked me if I had a problem. I replied " I think I hit a slick spot on takeoff".. The controller opened his mike and I heard laughter in the tower.  He asked me if I wanted to taxi back and retry the takeoff. I told him yes, because I figured if I didn't do this, I probably would never want to try soloing again. I looked out both windows to make sure the landing gear was still in one piece, taxied back and took off again. On the next three approaches , I asked for the option and went around 3 times, with a still strong crosswind and me looking out the side of the windshield to line up with the runway, and finally made three touch and go landings, and called it a day.

When I got back to the FBO and went inside, my wife was waiting for me, and she said I looked as white as a ghost. I told my instructor who was by then back from lunch, and he explained  that the left crosswind had cause the aircraft to weather vane, and that is why the nose  went to the left, and just more right rudder would have solved the problem. It then dawned on me that that was the first time i had experienced a strong crosswind from the left. This was a brand new C 152 with about 15 hours on it. If I had crashed that plane, I would probably still be paying for it. A day I will never forget. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

my first CFI wasn't very good. More like puppy mill CFI 🙂 

The good thing about having bad teachers, in any subject, is that when you become a teacher yourself, you can still learn from the experience by simply saying 'right, well I won't do any of the stuff that guy did'. I did exactly that when I started teaching; I made a list of everyone who'd ever taught me stuff, listed their good and bad aspects, and then I adopted all the good stuff and avoided all the bad.

Re first solos, mine was hilarious. It was on a massive WW2 airfield which used to have Wellington bombers operating from it; all the buildings were miles away from the flight line. I came in for a dual instruction landing thinking, thank f--- for that, now I can go to the toilet, as we'd been up training for a while doing spins and all sorts. When we landed, that's when the instructor climbed out and said, okay, do that again on your own. I thought if I wander off to the loo now, by the time I get back I'll be even more nervous, so instead I just let him close the canopy and off I went.

Thus I was bursting for the loo throughout the entire circuit on my first ever solo, and I can remember I was singing 'The Deadwood Stage' raucously to myself all the way, to keep my nerve up. When I landed off that solo, I had to push past people congratulating me so I could leg it all the way to the building blocks to go to the loo. 🤣

The good thing about soloing in an old tandem seat aeroplane though, as opposed to something like a PA28 or a Cessna where you are side-by side, is that you can just pretend that the instructor is behind you, because you kind of get used to forgetting that someone is sat behind you anyway unless they start yelling at you. So I did that too. 🙂

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here