Sign in to follow this  
bobcat999

Flight Sim Blog - Performance Fix!

In other news, by extrapolating the idea behind this method, doctors have now found you can cure baldness by simply chopping your head off.

• Like 6

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

For me, the area around KSEA was stutter after the Hotfix, but removing all the default airport sceneries as the guide tells, cures the stutter problem there. Works for me because I don't use default airports, so I prefer this initial cure. I always choose flights between freeware (or payware) add-on airport sceneries anyway. Just tested the area of LOWS and KPDK and there were no stutters. By the way, deleting all the useless default planes (Standard) via Content Manager gives 50GB of more free space! 😅

EDIT: Just installed the new Windows 10 update KB5000842 this morning and got much smoother flights around KSEA. Placebo? Who knows.

Edited by tmpnmk
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chock said:

In other news, by extrapolating the idea behind this method, doctors have now found you can cure baldness by simply chopping your head off.

Or impotence by...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

'Tweaksim', 'Mess-around-with-the-files sim', 'Spanner & Wrench sim' - it's back

• Like 2

When are we getting water masks back - that's what I want to know?

Did a lovely couple of fights very early this morning. Bournemouth across to Guernsey. Then Guernsey along the coast of Normandy to LFAT and I really missed them. They would add so much to the sim.

13 minutes ago, ErichB said:

'Tweaksim', 'Mess-around-with-the-files sim', 'Spanner & Wrench sim' - it's back

Not only that but I remember all those swearing by the new sim who would make buying airport addons useless. Now, we are said to remove all the default airports to only use payware. I wonder whether they get over the psychological shock 😄 !

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

2 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

Now, we are said to remove all the default airports to only use payware. I wonder whether they get over the psychological shock 😄 !

I think that's the most ridiculous workaround yet.

• Upvote 1

It is one of the silliest fixes yet.  Must be a politician that came up with this one. 

LouP

• Like 1

I agree this fix isn't practical for normal use. But if it makes a difference far away from those airports, as @bobcat999  suggests, it may be a good thing for MS/Asobo to look into. Airports that are out of sight should not affect your fps at all, not even in the slightest. During startup and loading, sure, at some point MSFS has to build/update its database of scenery objects.

These type of "workarounds" typically are more useful to the developer than the user of the software for helping to identify the root cause of an issue. Let's hope Asobo takes a look and finds a way to optimise this. 

Edited by pstrub
  • Like 1

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

14 minutes ago, pstrub said:

I agree this fix isn't practical for normal use. But if it makes a difference far away from those airports, as @bobcat999  suggests, it may be a good thing for MS/Asobo to look into. Airports that are out of sight should not affect your fps at all, not even in the slightest.

This game is a collection of quirks and bugs, also the VFR map shouldn't affect the framerate when it's closed, but it does. And so does the ATC when the transcript reaches a certain number of lines, even if its window is closed (fortunately there is a community fix for that).

Having said that, the latest hotfix + hiding the overhead toolbar icons improved the performance of my system dramatically: I tested the Boeing 787 this morning between London and Dublin and I had excellent performance without stuttering, similar to the A320 Neo:

- 33-40 fps at EGLL

- 50-60 fps airborne in cockpit view (!!!)

- 80-85 fps in external view

Live weather, live traffic, Ultra settings with LOD sliders to 100.

Good job Asobo, go on like this!

Edited by MrFuzzy
  • Like 2

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

20 hours ago, LouP said:

It is one of the silliest fixes yet.  Must be a politician that came up with this one. 

LouP

You are another one missing the point it seems.  It isn't a fix at all, it is a trial work-around to try to help identify the problem.  If a fairly large group of people try this and it seems to work, then it points to a problem with the bulk of the scenery indexing (as the problem seems to get worse after every world update), and not the complexity of the scenery itself.   Also - you don't have to do it yourself!

But fine.  Let's all just snipe and sneer at people trying to help to find the issues, and then just sit on our hands while we wait for Asobo to find and fix the problems on their own.  

• Like 3

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

20 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

This game is a collection of quirks and bugs, also the VFR map shouldn't affect the framerate when it's closed, but it does. And so does the ATC when the transcript reaches a certain number of lines, even if its window is closed (fortunately there is a community fix for that).

Having said that, the latest hotfix + hiding the overhead toolbar icons improved the performance of my system dramatically: [...]

Yeah, I'm happy with the framerates now, flying is very smooth most of the time, although an occasional single-frame stutter happens every now and then, and in dense areas such as NYC I experienced several framerate drops for a couple of seconds. 

And yes, there are still some weird performance issues like the VFR map bug you mention, and I'm sure they're gonna get fixed at some point. Later than we would've wished for, but I definitely see Asobo caring about user feedback.

Edited by pstrub
  • Like 2

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

Performance loss when in proximity to default airports have been described really well here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/intriguing-discovery-76t-bad-fps-areas-geometrically-linked-to-class-b-boundaries/382538/122. This post is now closed, as according to the community manager the issue has been fixed in the latest patch. 

My experience is that everything is a lot smoother now. After even more tweaking and tuning (the list of which would be way to extensive to include here), I consistently get 40+ fps stutter-free in flight. At or near airports this drops to around 30 - and for major hubs less than that. 

And yes I've deactivated all default airports just to give it a try. This might have improved performance slightly, but was already quite good before that. It certainly makes landing more challenging as all airports are now considered "bush strips" and can be quite bumby!

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”