Sign in to follow this  
bean_sprout

Is MSFS Awesome?

Everytime I do a flight MSFS proves that it is awesome.  Didn't mean for this to be a union worker thread BTW - lol.

Keep it up Asobo!

Cheers

bs

• Like 2

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

Awesome for me when compared to FSX Steam (my last sim) then yes - It can be visually amazing at times.   Even after 8 months or so I am still finding moments where I go "Wow that's an awesome visual" - Last night flying into JFK over Manhattan with the sun setting was stunning (and having done that approach pretty close to spot on visually) .   So much better overall...Now if Asobo wouldn't make me have to reset my settings every update I would be a ton happier......

• Like 1

To answer the original question: I started simming in 1983. MSFS is the flightsim I never remotely imagined I would live long enough to see. That makes it awesome cubed, as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Yes, yes it is!

It has flaws, of course. But all the sims do. Perhaps I'm lucky as the issues I've had have been very minor thus far when compared to some of the horror stories you read on here, but I absolutely love it, it's given simming a new lease of life for me.

• Like 3

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

Whether or not it's currently awesome depends upon your needs and desires.

However, I think the potential is truly awesome.  It will take work to get there, but I can see MSFS getting over its initial growing pains and thriving for years to come.

There is the odd frustration, but rather than sitting and complaining about what the sim can't do, I enjoy it for what it can.   Or I get my hands dirty and start fixing stuff.  It's much healthier than being angry and bitter.

• Like 3

I don't think it's currenty awesome, I suspect Asobo will never make it awesome BUT I hope that 3rd parties will do awesome things with it.

Edited by Matchstick
  • Upvote 1

Somehow this became a topic of unions, so I'll throw this in.

Are you glad to have limited work hours, evenings and/or weekends off?  Holidays/  Sick time? Vacation time?  Safety standards?  Thank a union.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

1 minute ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

Scenery part is awesome. Other parts still need a lot of work.

Yes, the scenery blows me away almost every single time I use the program.  But somehow I feel it's still lacking some of the elements that made FSX/P3D so enjoyable.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

It is awesome. I installed it yesterday and i'm loving it. I had used it in the early days on my sons PC, but couldn't install it to mine until I stumbled upon my lost SATA cables and my old 1TB HD from a previous PC yesterday.  I will gladly deal with the teething pains along the way. I have XP11 and FS9 to fly also, so no shortage of airplane fun.

Not sure why so much hate for this sim. For years our only real option was X-Plane(which I love), and the older versions of MSFS. Flight and Flight Sim World were cruel teases.

The Veruca Salt "I want it now" people kill me. Yes, we have invested much money in hardware and other things to enjoy our hobby, and want the mother of all flight sims to work like we want, but I really doubt Asobo/Microsoft will leave us hanging. If they were to do that, then i will gladly pick up my pitchfork and light my torch, but until then I am enjoying it for what it does now and look forward to the future. They have created something amazing and I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

There's a reason i didn't delete all my other flight sims after seeing my first screenshot of MSFS way back.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Eclex said:

"Awesome" ?  Your Union teachers used that word every day during high school ?  Nothing but  Woke BS.

Hyperbole knows no bounds anymore. 

Merriam-webster.com:

Is the Word awesome Overused?

Many object to the use of awesome to describe something (such as a sandwich) that does not literally elicit feelings of awe. Yet the same people who insist that awesome should be used only of weighty subjects (Niagara Falls, man landing on the moon) will happily use the word awful in reference to something (such as a mess) that falls distinctly short of being “full of awe.” This weakened sense was once considered improper – in fact, complaints about it persisted through the early decades of the 20th century.

The change in meaning that awesome is undergoing may be more recent than that of awful, but both words are treading the same path. For evidence that such change is normal, we need look no further than awe, which originally meant “terror” and now carries the weaker sense “wonder.”

• Like 2

Paul Skol

I just did a visual approach into PHTO.  Stunning. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

16 minutes ago, Paul_Yorks said:

The change in meaning that awesome is undergoing may be more recent than that of awful, but both words are treading the same path.

I know I should just let this go, but I'm feeling saucy today.   So:  good luck discussing the universal and constant evolution of language and our need to adapt to it with individual(s) who unironically try to use "woke" as an insult.  😄

• Like 4