Sign in to follow this  
KKLEE

Very frustrated after the hotfix

One idea to check - how much disk space do you have left on Drive C? 
I run MSFS on E: but had  CTD with no event log entry when I ran our of space on C. Since I cleared off 50Gb then it’s been good. You should have enough on C for your virtual memory settings at least. ( I set mine to 32Gb).

worth a look.

My experience is quite systematic: I can fly around forever, but if I enable photogrammetry a CTD after a few minutes is inevitable .

Edited by Mark1616

5 hours ago, KKLEE said:

Hardware configuration:
i7-2600K  (overclock to 4.3GHz)  ,  16G  DDR3 RAM  ,  Gigabyte 1080ti  and SanDisk 960G SSD

The GPU core temperature was around 84 - 89 C.

Here's what I would do if I were you:

Turn off that overclock.   Flight simulators have a way of breaking overclocks that people swear are stable.  While you're at it, check your CPU temps to see if it's overheating.   And on that note...

Do something about your GPU temps.  I believe 84C is the point at which the 1080Ti starts throttling itself; running above that temp for an extended duration is not good.  Check the cooling, make sure the fans are set to max performance...  if nothing else works, turn down your graphics settings so the card doesn't work so hard.

Monitor your RAM usage.  16GB really doesn't leave you a lot of margin if you are doing anything else with your system.  If you're capping that out and having to write to your page file (or, especially, if you're one of those folks who disregard expert advice and disable their page file to save on disk space) that's not a good place to be.

Temporarily disable all your addons.  If you're having crashes just sitting idle on the runway it's unlikely that they're the issue you're having, but it's still something that should be ruled out.

Disable rolling and manual cache.  It shouldn't be an issue in normal operation, but corrupted data in the cache can create problems.

Disable multiplayer traffic.  This has caused issues for some folks in the past.

If you do all these things, get your temps within range, monitor your resource consumption, and still can't get it stable you can look at deeper issues.   But the first thing to do is rule out the common culprits and, if that works, enable things one by one until the issue pops back up.

Edit:  One more -- if you have an XMP profile set on your RAM, disable that, too.   Those are often designed with more of a focus on being able to advertise high speeds than offering a rock solid configuration.

Edited by kaosfere
  • Like 3

85-89 C is a bit on the hot side. Your GPU should handle 85 or 86 C just fine, but maybe it's shutting down when it reaches 90 C? And that it happens 10 minutes into every session?

Edit: If that's the case, you could put new thermal pads and thermal paste on it. You could also use MSI Afterburner to throttle the GPU back when it gets too hot.

Edited by Republic3D

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

1 hour ago, Republic3D said:

85-89 C is a bit on the hot side.

Try limiting fps to 30 in MSFS and see if that reduces the GPU temperature.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bert

7 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

Don't overclock if you are playing MSFS. MSFS doesn't work well with overclocking and people that overclock experience CTDs in MSFS. So don't overclock anything, RAM, CPU, GPU, etc.  

Well ,that's not entirely true. If you have a stable overclock then there are no issues and everything performs and runs as reliable as there would be no overclock. A lot of people want to push the limits though and software like MSFS is very demanding on the hardware and there most of the issues come from.

I'm pretty sure if the OP removes the overclock (maybe he even oc'd the GPU based on the high temps or he didn't clean it for a very long time) his CTDs will stop.

Also try using MSI Afterburner for the GPU fans. I have 2080Ti and without it it also run very high temps, up to 87°C where the throttling occurred and the performance dropped. With MSI Afterburner (or whatever software for the fan control you want) my GPU runs at 70°C and the performance is excellent.

Edited by Tomaz Drnovsek
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Try limiting fps to 30 in MSFS and see if that reduces the GPU temperature.

This is what I do to keep my GPU cooler,

12 hours ago, KKLEE said:

hardware configuration:
i7-2600K  (overclock to 4.3GHz) 

I agree with the others, start by turning off that overclock. 

Sort of off-topic, but I owned a 2700K so I know how well those overclock...but I never ran mine past 4.0 ghz so your 4.3 is pretty impressive.  It could be the source of your instability.   Lots of cycles on a 2600K, it's got to be over 10 years old.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

13 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

Don't overclock if you are playing MSFS. MSFS doesn't work well with overclocking and people that overclock experience CTDs in MSFS. So don't overclock anything, RAM, CPU, GPU, etc.  

Most here o/c there CPU and don't have issues myself included.  His CPU however is older presumably so may be experiencing degradation from prolonged o/c so may not tolerate nearly as much as it did previously.  So yes for his I7-2600 be a good thing to start w/ a stock clock speed initially at least.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I use a cheap USB fan next to the open case.

Cheers

bs  

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

Immediate thing that jumps out at me could be an unstable CPU overclock, which often only rears it's head when you're running something that actually pushes the CPU hard enough.  I had a CPU like that once - overclock was fine for lots of games, but there was one that would always cause CTDs until I removed it.

GPU is also running hot if that's your average temp range.

Beyond that I find it's a good practice to completely clean out the game's rolling cache and whatnot every time you get a new update.

26 minutes ago, Scottoest said:

Immediate thing that jumps out at me could be an unstable CPU overclock, which often only rears it's head when you're running something that actually pushes the CPU hard enough.  I had a CPU like that once - overclock was fine for lots of games, but there was one that would always cause CTDs until I removed it.

GPU is also running hot if that's your average temp range.

Beyond that I find it's a good practice to completely clean out the game's rolling cache and whatnot every time you get a new update.

Yep - trying a 64 gb one now.

bs ☘️

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

On 4/26/2021 at 8:23 PM, Mark1616 said:

My experience is quite systematic: I can fly around forever, but if I enable photogrammetry a CTD after a few minutes is inevitable .

Thank you all for your input.
The culprit was photogrammetry.
I turned it off and the sim did not crush.

12700K@5.1Ghz, ASUS TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4, Noctua NH-U12S, G.SKILL 32GB Kit F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC Trident Z Neo RGB DDR4 3600MHz, SanDisk Extreme Pro SSD 1TB, Gigabyte RTX 1080 Ti, Cooler Master V750 Gold 750W PSU, Win10 Pro, Dell 24" 2408WFP 1920x1200 30 frames vSync to 60Hz, Fulcrum One Yoke,  MFG Crosswind V2 rudder pedal, Saitek Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Multi Panel, DIY Cessna 172 Radio stack (via Arduino/MobiFlight), Air manager V4 on 10" 1920x1080 monitor

6 hours ago, KKLEE said:

The culprit was photogrammetry.

Photogrammetry on its own should not cause the sim to crash.   It's indicative of some other problem with your system that is probably triggered by the extra load of rendering the photogram.    I'd still suggest going through the steps folks have suggested in this thread to find the underlying cause.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, kaosfere said:

Photogrammetry on its own should not cause the sim to crash. 

Unless there are holes and the Shaders can't deal with them 😂

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/world-update-3-london-photogrammetry-mesh-holes/367529?u=cptlucky8

Edited by RXP
  • Like 2

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)