Sign in to follow this  
McCrash

A Tweak That Helped My Frame Rates

I dont know if this will work for everyone but it worked for me. I got much less stuttering when I turned pagefile OFF. you heard right. I have 3Gig Ram so I tried just turning OFF the pagefile/swapfile in windows and it drasticly changed my FPS and Stuttering!Hope this helps!Gary Trammell

Hi,It works for you because you have so much system memory. With a "normal" amount of memory this will not always work.Thanks!Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development Team Active Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/AirSource Member: http://www.air-source.us/FSEconomy Member:http://www.fseconomy.com/

>I dont know if this will work for everyone but it worked for>me. I got much less stuttering when I turned pagefile OFF. you>heard right. I have 3Gig Ram so I tried just turning OFF the>pagefile/swapfile in windows and it drasticly changed my FPS>and Stuttering!>>Hope this helps!>>Gary TrammellHow much difference in frame rate?

Hi Gary,How do you turn pagefile off?Thanks,

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor

Hi HowardRight click on my computer then properties, advanced tab, performance settings, advanced, then virtual memory, change, then select no page file and set. No warranty given.....

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

You would have to reinstall FSX on the ram disk every time you want to run it. have fun!

Guest diajohn2

I don't find a great framerate difference but it sure makes my panning smoother. So far so good with 2Gig of RAM.

Guest southie4

Thanks for posting that, Gary. It just might be the tweak that makes the difference for many of us. It certainly can't hurt to try it.Robert

Is is because instead of using a hard drive for the extra memory FS needs it is strictly using your much faster ram to read from. It works well if you have more than 1 gig of ram. Performance (Slow loading from hard drive) does at points directly affects FPS but even if one's FPS are low the stuttering will pretty much cease reading from ram..Best,Randy J. Smith<<>>

>You would have to reinstall FSX on the ram disk every time>you want to run it. have fun!heh. A person would use up their free activations really fast that way. haha.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>I don't find a great framerate difference but it sure makes>my panning smoother. So far so good with 2Gig of RAM.What are your hard drive specs?RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

>I guess I should have worded it idfferent ,, Not really Frame>Rate but much less stutter when panning?!>>>*Smile*>>GaryGary have you experimented with BufferPools and TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT settings?Those two can really effect panning smoothness, too...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

>> Is is because instead of using a hard drive for the extra>memory FS needs it is strictly using your much faster ram to>read from. It works well if you have more than 1 gig of ram.>Performance (Slow loading from hard drive) does at points>directly affects FPS but even if one's FPS are low the>stuttering will pretty much cease reading from ram..>Yes and in a related vein, I am wondering Windows Vista's ReadyBoost feature, will help here.After all, flash ram is faster than HD.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett