Sign in to follow this  
Bosco19

MSFS 2020 is really getting there!

4 minutes ago, Janov said:

No one ever said he would "wage a full scale war" - and no, he would not "throw away his personal fortune" for it, either.

But he will accept making very low profit with it - something that the next CEO for MS will possibly not do for MSFS.

Well, we'll see if Austin makes a profit from X-Plane 12.  The problem with cases of technological competition like X-Plane vs MSFS is that if one side is behind, they need to spend a lot of $$$ to catch up to the leader.  So if the side that is behind only spends a small amount of $$$ to catchup, but after the amount they spend, they are still behind the leader, consumers take notice and they probably won't purchase too many copies from the side that is behind technologically.  Again I point to the case of Blackberry vs IPhone.  RIM (Research in Motion), the maker of Blackberry, had to come out with a revolutionary new Blackberry to compete against the IPhone, after the IPhone was released.  Consumers felt RIM never did come out with a worthy competitor to IPhone and the rest is history with RIM.

Of course, marketing also plays a role. Even if your product is inferior but you market it well enough, that can possibly overcome the technological limitations of your product.  But in this case, I don't think Laminar Research's marketing ability can compete with Microsoft's marketing ability.

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Just now, abrams_tank said:

Well, we'll see if Austin makes a profit from X-Plane 12.

Ok - I can agree with that! Lets see 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pmb said:

Are you convinced you're in the proper topic and subforum here? 

Kind regards, Michael

Come on, Michael, you should know better.

There is one thing that some XP simmers love more than simming X-Plane and it is preaching in the FS forums to the ill-washed the virtues of their beloved sim and of their guru. I suppose they gain their paradise or something this way.   

Janov's last paragraph is so telling. He is here not to discuss flight simulation but to show the way to those who were attracted by the MSFS baubles.

And be aware if you go XP you don't go only to a better simulator, you also help Austin to save dogs and cats. Who cares whether Satya Nadella or Bill Gates give millions to the famished children ? AUstin saves animals !

But lo and behold, we have a variant now, more insidious maybe. Some XP simmers  who abandoned ship and shifted allegiance to MSFS. They now preach us with their usual total inability to nuance things that P3D and XP are dead in the water or will be soon. Well, there is a little nuance though, P3D first then XP maybe later 😂.

• Like 8

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

12 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

usual total inability to nuance things that P3D and XP are dead in the water or will be soon.

We will see 🙂 I will take you back up on your prediction when the time is right. Now go fly over your house! 😆

3 minutes ago, Janov said:

We will see 🙂 I will take you back up on your prediction when the time is right. Now go fly over your house! 😆

Which prediction ? I didn't do any !

For the record, I am just off  flying crosswind landings in Sirte, Lybia 😅

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

13 minutes ago, Janov said:

Now go fly over your house! 😆

Ouch! That blow hurt!🤣

21 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

For the record, I am just off  flying crosswind landings in Sirte, Lybia 😅

Your house is in Lybia? Stay safe... <scnr> 😇

8 minutes ago, Belgarath said:

Your house is in Lybia? Stay safe... <scnr> 😇

I've been an expat most of my life and keep the profile of life  in the sim.  The day before yesterday  in Greece, yesterday in Mexico, today in Lybia, tomorrow who knows 😄 ? 

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 2

Dominique

15 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

I've been an expat most of my life and keep the profile of life  in the sim.  The day before yesterday  in Greece, yesterday in Mexico, today in Lybia, tomorrow who knows 😄 ? 

I'm not an expat, but I like flying in regions where I've never been (or sometimes, where I've been only once). That's one big advantage of MSFS, I can go to any place of the world immediately and it basically looks pretty well without spending a fortune of money or time (albeit I still like to spice up some regions I admire like NZ or JP).

On the contrary, I rarely fly in Germany (although I investigated my FBO and my home town in all sims).

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

OK, once again....back on track with MSFS 2020 or a shutdown will commence!  :ph34r:

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

5 hours ago, akita said:

I'll not re open a debate again about auto-gen/data driven procedural textures vs the horror show called photogrammetry/orthos so if we are speaking 50 guys to implement the Azure AI+streaming data this is irrelevant to what others are trying to achieve

You again misunderstood.

These guys did not implement Azure AI+streaming. They "just" extracted the data from the images, that allowed them to generate billions of correctly placed 3D objects. These objects are PBR, have ultra high resolution, are highly detailed. They tick all boxes you could ever accomplish with the outerra approach. These object are responsible that in cities you typically don't see any flat ground texture at all. Look at this image:

KaiTak98-878.jpg

There is exactly 0% Bing map textures visible in this screenshot. Thanks to the accomplishemnt of these 50 (and more) experts, who extracted the position, height, color and shape of every single building from the Bing imagery, before the procedure builders used that data to recreate the nearly 100% correct visual appearance of the city. That's the innovation. That's the accomplishment out of reach for small shops.

In your approach, this city would only look how it could look like, but it will not match reality. Your approach is fundamentally flawed to get a replica of the world. You just get a parallel world...

Edited by mrueedi
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, mrueedi said:

They tick all boxes you could ever accomplish with the outerra approach.

Not necessarily. The detail of the Outerra world literally goes from orbit down to single blades of grass, where you can walk seamlessly across that world, with roads that are perfectly level and don't go sideways up mountains.

Further, that world is directly malleable and shapeable in real-time.

I see it as a completely reasonable ground state for a simulation of some sort, really only lacking art assets and resources/time effort to shape a diamond in the rough.

I still remember well all the experts over the years who proclaimed categorically how many things Outerra would never be able to do... That it now does.

By the way, the Outerra world is currently completely covered in ortho, just very low resolution to keep the size down. it also has all roads and building footprint's. (though I drool imagining the Outerra world with Blackshark AI)

We still have choices, even in a world dominated by MSFS, if we ever decide we want/need them.

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

It still blows my mind that we have a few users who spend non-trivial amounts of time in this subforum, despite openly admitting that they've never actually spent even a second using the sim themselves, or understanding the mosaic of techniques and technologies it uses to create it's world.  But they're definitely sure it's inferior to their sim of choice.

"lol eye candy, go fly over your house kid"

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Scottoest said:

It still blows my mind that we have a few users who spend non-trivial amounts of time in this subforum, despite openly admitting that they've never actually spent even a second using the sim themselves, or understanding the mosaic of techniques and technologies it uses to create it's world.  But they're definitely sure it's inferior to their sim of choice.

"lol eye candy, go fly over your house kid"

The original and continuing attacks on MSFS arose for several reasons not least from those (and one in particular who has posted on this thread) with vested monetary interests in a particular sim and the perceived threat that MSFS poses to its future development and their bank balance. (I remember when, early on, he stated this publicly on another forum).

There are also strong emotional brand loyalties at play and an almost cult like devotion to a single individual. Heresy prevents them from even trying out MSFS for £1. All their knowledge of it comes from reading what they want to hear and YouTube videos.

Edited by jarmstro
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jarmstro said:

The original and continuing attacks on MSFS arose for several reasons not least from those (and one in particular who has posted on this thread) with vested monetary interests in a particular sim and the perceived threat that MSFS poses to its future development and their bank balance. (I remember when, early on, he stated this publicly on another forum).

There are also strong emotional brand loyalties at play and an almost cult like devotion to a single individual. Heresy prevents them from even trying out MSFS for £1. All their knowledge of it comes from reading what they want to hear and YouTube videos.

Yes it a little bit like the old joke about how all the Buddhists, Hindus, Taoists etc etc in heaven had to be really quiet as just over the wall were the Christians who thought they were the only ones up there.

They are fine in their own little world and fortunately the target market for MSFS are not going to be coming to Avsim looking for advice anyway, so it does not really matter.