Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Waiting to hear the first reports of FSX and VISTA

I'm waiting anxiously to hear some reports from forum users who bought VISTA yesterday or today....and then "fired up FSX"!I'm sure the reports will soon be plentiful, but I'm absolutely looking forward to threads on the subject. Please talk about how your computer system is configured and whether you bought Basic, Home Premium, or Ultimate Vista versions.

I've been running vista since november with vnidia's 79xx series drivers on 2 different systems and fsx runs terribly along with fs9. Both run at 50-75% of the speed as they do in xp. I hope nvidia pulls something out of their rear ends when they release the new drivers today or else a lot of us will not be upgrading. I will probably install vista on a spare drive this weekend on my main machine below to check out the 8800 performance but i am not holding my breath judging by the driver quality that i have seen so far from nvidia. Make sure that you keep a copy of your old OS or install to a totally different drive if you do it.________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 @ 893Mhz | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 575/900 | Seagate 2x 320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

Here's the "best suggestion" I've seen lately for the question of "which version of Vista should I buy?"http://www.joyoftech.com/joyoftech/joyimages/915.gif

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I got and installed Vista Ultimate on my laptop (HP dv5020) yesterday night. The install and configuration worked like a charm and I am totally impressed by the performance (and the looks). Vista "feels" more fluid and much more responsive than my previous XP installations. The GUI is much more intuitive and it "just works".My biggest complaint about Vista right now is the lack of 3rd party drivers. For example, my laptop's integrated audio has no driver available. I just chatted with HP and the ETA is "Mid-March". What?As for my desktop: I will install Vista tomorrow (waiting for a spare HDD) and start testing FSX. All my essential hardware is supposed to be supported, with the exception of my Logitech devices and TrackIR.Pat

Guest RGH

Hi That is the first smile Vista as given me.Best regardsRex

Great one Bill and very true... :-beerchug I just wish at times Microsoft wasn't the publisher of Flight Simulator. Maybe then we could get it for OS X and be done with it (it most likely would perform better as well). Problem is Flight Simulator wouldn't be where it is today with any other publisher outside of Apple themselves.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Are you seeing a large jump in CPU or Ram usage? I've heard it's a resource drain.Dave

Idle CPU usage is about 10% lower, RAM usage about 20% higher here.Pat

Guest NaturalPoint_Vince

>As for my desktop: I will install Vista tomorrow (waiting for>a spare HDD) and start testing FSX. All my essential hardware>is supposed to be supported, with the exception of my Logitech>devices and TrackIR.>>PatIf your installing the 32-bit version of Vista, try using the 4.1.030 version of the TrackIR software...

Guest triangle

Both Nvidia and ATI have knocked out new Vista driver releases today so hopefully they will take things closer to final retail performance.I'm not really across the Vista/MSFSX issues but my reading so far suggests that the Radeon drivers are delivering improved performance (in benchmarks, at least) on Vista whereas Nvidia drivers are still delivering lower performance than that seen on XP. Today's releases may change that, of course.As i have an ATI 1950X, i'm getting more and more prepared to switch to Vista but will wait a few more weeks until i've developed a firm view about performance. I've seen Vista's GUI at work and I really liked the look and feel and am happy to hear that Vista suspends Aero when you run another 3d application, thus eliminating it as a resource drain while you're playing/simming.

Guest Traffic

Brilliant Bill. So true. Thanks for sharing.