Sign in to follow this  
ArkRoyal

Is it time (and safe) to get MSFS?

I'm one of those people who will say it was safe to jump in back on release day, even if I ran into some very minor squabbles with it.

Remember - buying MSFS doesn't uninstall whatever other flight simulators you currently have and enjoy. Nothing changes along those lines! That said, if you're like me and so many others, your previous sims will find themselves quite a bit lonely after you've spent some time with MSFS.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ArkRoyal said:

I have resisted buying MSFS.  I've seen so many new programs have so many problems for months after launch that I decided to sit back and watch the ensuing mayhem - of which there appears to have been much.

However, things seemed to have settled now and with the much-heralded performance improvement coming at the end of the month, will it be time to take the plunge?

An additional question: if I purchased MSFS after this update, would the download come with this update included along with all the previous updates - or will they all have to bee downloaded separately?

After SU7. That's when I will take a hard look. Live weather, night lighting and performance issues should sorted by then as well as more advanced aircraft.

Edited by B777ER

Eric 

53 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

I'm interested in getting back into it after the update at the end of July... these were my biggest issues before I stopped playing... does anyone know if they are addressed, or will be addressed?

I can address at least a few of those:

- ATC providing erratic or dangerous altitudes

This seems to occur less often nowadays, although it depends on how you plan your IFR flight. It works best if you select a reasonable cruising altitude and particular STARs and approaches before flight. Another option is to basically override ATC altitude directions during the descent phase by requesting the altitude of the final approach fix from ATC while you're still at cruising altitude. ATC will then let you descent on your own accord, and you can also use things like the VNAV profile in the WT G3000 mod.

- Entering assigned approach upon arrival causes a u-turn (IFR flight)

This still occurs in some scenarios, but it is much easier to avoid with the WT Garmin mods, because you can go *direct* to the initial waypoint of the transition.

- No landing replay/review function

There's a mod for that now that's supposed to work pretty well.

- Lack of tropical water masks

A lot of those were added in the previous months, but it's not complete.

Edited by Der Zeitgeist
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ArkRoyal said:

will it be time to take the plunge?

Simming since FS4 days, got my ppl because of that - and never went back to P3D/FSX since day1 - go figure!

• Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

Enjoyed it since day one, never looked back. P3D was deleted before install and never regretted it. The FBW A320 and the areosoft CRJ are great fun, many hours spend flying with great scenery and for me was a performance improvement on previous sims.

• Like 1

Paul

BeQuiet Pure Base 500 FX - MSI Mag Tomahawk B760 - i5 13600k @ 5.1ghz - 32GB RAM - RTX 3060 12GB  -  32f (31.5" ) Full HD Monitor - TCA Officer Pack - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke -  Logitech Multi Panel

38 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

I'm interested in getting back into it after the update at the end of July... these were my biggest issues before I stopped playing... does anyone know if they are addressed, or will be addressed?

- Honeycomb buttons causing 10-deg heading bug (I read this is fixed!)

- ATC providing erratic or dangerous altitudes

- Entering assigned approach upon arrival causes a u-turn (IFR flight)

- RNAV glide slope capture not working on A320NX

- Undocked pop-out windows to 2nd monitor causing significant FPS loss

- No landing replay/review function

- Lack of tropical water masks

Dont have Honeycomb so i cant answer that one

ATC will still send you into the mountains. (however flying the visual into LOWI last night the A320NX respected constraints and would not budge below (and actually climbed out of a dangerous situation if you have the "box" set up correctly with your approach). I simply ignored the nagging. ATC eventually moved on with the rest of the approach once we started to descend into finals.

RNAV worked for me (Last used this weekend TLPL runway 10) A320NX / this may be runway dependent because i dont use RNAV as often as i use ILS but ILS was not available in St Lucia so RNAV it was and the GS worked. 

The A320NX still U turn occasionally (It mostly works without issue). I get around this by quickly selecting "direct to" the next waypoint in the flight plan if it does happen.

My second laptop is independent of the sim and used for simbrief and approach plates so cant answer that one

Still no landing replay (I believe their are addons for that for now)

Tropical Water masks have been added and are being added on a rolling basis and look awesome.

I will end with this. 

I have been very critical of ASOBO/MS and i still think there are aspects of their development that has room for improvement. You probably will never see me start a thread praising them for something specifically awesome. But i do appreciate the effort they are putting into addressing some of the issues that have popped up and the additional content. I also appreciate that they for the most part acknowledge when they screw up and at least try to fix stuff. I personally would wish this stuff was done right the first time and not have to wait so long for updates but that is out of my hands and while complaining and making a fuss over certain issues can stir up and create critical mass to get stuff done (and it has for certain things in this sim so it does work) there comes a point when making a fuss (especially over every single real or perceived slight) creates the opposite effect and you simply have to make a choice and be content with your decision. Sign off in protest or make do with what is available.

So for me right now the sim has niggles and can be improved but i don't have showstoppers "at the moment". 

So i make do and enjoy the stuff that works (Right now the A320NX stable has my undivided attention and compared to my "trainer Asobo version that i cut my teeth on for the first few months for IFR basics i have more than enough to keep me entertained for a bit since i have a lot of learning to do with the IFR aspect of flight)

Cheers

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

It is time!!! But NOT SAFE!!

A few persons disappeared after downloading MSFS, nobody heard anything from them anymore............

• Like 1

Purchase after the next sim update on July 27th. There you will see the performance increases.

I don't know your expectations of MSFS but there will never be a 'proper' time to buy it.  Just do it!!!!!  This isn't FSX, where there was an update or two over the entire lifecycle of the sim.  This sim is ever changing and ever improving.  Get in now and watch things progress.  Hop in the 152 and just look at the scenery.  You'll be hooked!

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Greggy_D said:

Does MSFS include an electronic/PDF manual?

No... get used to watching Youtube videos 🙂

Bert

26 minutes ago, rjetster said:

Purchase after the next sim update on July 27th. There you will see the performance increases.

Actually if you purchase now, you will likely see a performance increase on July 27.. 😉

• Like 1

Bert