Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

AI generated buildings - Visuals decreased?

On 7/30/2021 at 11:36 AM, John Fields said:

I paid for MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe and, in addition, more than 3.000 € (about 3,500 US dollars) in hardware to adapt my PC to the new Flight Simulator.

If it was a consumer requirement to spend three and a half grand on a computer in order to run MSFS, then we can be fairly certain MS would not have made the sim in the first place, because there is no way they were going to rely on finding a consumer base where people have to stump up that kind of cash to be a customer for the DLC in their in-sim marketplace. Although MSFS leverages technology which has other applications, which makes it feasible for MS to spend time investing in it, they doubtless would like to make money off the sim too, and they're not going to do that selling three copies of a sim to people with super-computers who only buy a PMDG airliner and then fly that exclusively. This was their beef with FSX and is why they sold off ESP rights to Lockheed Martin. Yes you can benefit from the sim's existence and do that 'serious simmer (TM)' thing if want to, but if anyone is under the impression they are the main target when doing that, then they are mistaken, and that's fine because you still win anyway and get what you want by virtue of the existence of the main target consumers.

This is not a difficult concept to understand, and nor has it ever been a secret either: Before the product was on sale, MS/Asobo released the system requirements for it, which made it apparent that you would not need a three and a half grand PC to run it. So if anyone bought that super-computer, that's on that on them, but even so, of course they do still have a three and a half grand computer, so are no worse off in that regard if they use it for other stuff as well as playing MSFS, and if not then why not, when they could have simply bought an XBox? 

I tarted-up my PC a bit too with some more RAM and an SSD, in order to speculatively help MSFS out prior to getting it, but not quite so much in terms of cost, however, it was with a view to other things I use my PC for as well, since right from the off I was confident MSFS would run okay on low end computers for two very sound reasons which I've already touched on: A) the published system requirements and B) the fact that it was known it was going to a console, and I readily accepted that this raison d'etre would mean some compromises, but it would also probably mean that some add-ons down the line would probably push around it and also have published specs which made that clear to those with an XBox, even if it became available for that platform.

Everyone knows consoles have a hardware limit because they are built to a specific cost which takes advantage of the economy of scale, but in spite of the hardware bang for buck, there is a defined limit nonetheless, so software performance is adhered to by constraining the present level of detail and data at any point in the run, most commonly with 'levels' on games but also with a reduced LOD radius on those levels. This has been well-known since the very first computer games with a 3D environment came out in the 1980s. 

As a result, a lot of people who did not think about this too much, were surprised by the FPS MSFS can achieve. It's true some of it is down to better hardware usage than FSX and P3D architecture can manage, but it's not magic, some of that frame rate comes at the cost of LOD radius. So long as one was aware of this, everything remains a plus point in terms of money spent, because others sims such as DCS benefit from that, and in my case, things like Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition and Photoshop fire up a bit quicker, latency is improved when recording music and so on, so I was happy to spend a bit of cash on tarting-up my PC.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Oops, lag double-post. Deleted.
Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

Chris, you can just set building to LOW>Save>>>Set to ULTRA>save.

that seems to work, not tried with HF2, I wont even try, as it will be the same as your seeing. It seems untill SU6 I will do that dance for every flight. To make 100% my building are truly on Ultra.

Maybe in the next hot-fix they will have a pop up, when you start a  flight with instructions on  switching back and forth from Low to ultra to make things look like SU4, 😉

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

3 minutes ago, Chock said:

Oops, lag double-post. Deleted.

Big single post too (only messing with you, just a friendly jab)...

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Upvote 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

4 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Maybe in the next hot-fix they will have a pop up, when you start a  flight with instructions on  switching back and forth from Low to ultra to make things look like SU4, 😉

Or they could create an artificial intelligence in the game that uses real-world cameras to update the game in real-time. That way I can be a nosey neighbor and not just enjoy flying, but enjoy seeing where all my neighbors cars are visiting throughout the day 🙂

I think Apple has this tech already, watch out.

I think what you are seeing is the photogrammetry being throttled due to data flow whilst flying. A few of us have noticed data flow is down plus some connection issues too

I think what you are seeing is the photogrammetry being throttled due to data flow whilst flying. A few of us have noticed data flow is down plus some connection issues too

Good question, was that even a PG building (they are so simple its hard to tell).

6 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

I think Apple has this tech already, watch out.

Especially if you are a Chinese eight year-old minimum wage worker knocking out their hardware in some sweatshop. 'What's that Mi Lai? You want a break on your 14 hour shift? I don't think so. Now get back to work most ricki-tik, you cheeky young scamp!'

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

2 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

Good question, was that even a PG building (they are so simple its hard to tell).

No, it is not...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

10 minutes ago, Chock said:

Especially if you are a Chinese eight year-old minimum wage worker knocking out their hardware in some sweatshop. 'What's that Mi Lai? You want a break on your 14 hour shift? I don't think so. Now get back to work pou cheeky young scamp!'

Partly Apple's fault, partly the Chinese managers. I mean I have thought about this ethical issue kind of deeply, and at first my thinking was  --- man that is terrible (and yes it can be terrible). Not to sound too dark, but I do hope that in some of those cases it at least brought the family of such people into a better place. The business leaders in China need to create a secret financial revolt that will eventually dilute the govts power.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

On 7/30/2021 at 12:10 PM, devgrp said:

Lets be real, every update Asobo did, there is always a few posts about visual degradation. We're on SU5 now, with all the visual degradation, you'd think the sim would be looking like fsx by now lol

MS and Asobo agreed they had degraded the visuals, and that is why we have hotbox 2 - this is real.  

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

I have been quietly watching the threads about this issue since SU5 as I have exactly the same issue at Heathrow (no issue prior to SU5). I take off from London City and fly to Heathrow, only to arrive to very low poly buildings with no textures! I have to pause, switch to settings and do the afore mentioned change low-save back to ultra-save, for the correct visuals to appear. I have to repeat this process EVERY time I fly into Heathrow. All the surrounding Auto-gen is fine, just seems to be an issue with Asobo's stock airport. Patiently hoping the next update at the end of the month sorts this out.

Edited by buffybill

1 hour ago, AnkH said:

I did not test many things so far and happen to not come across comparable buildings so far, so I do not really know. What I know is that in the official forums, other users reproduced it on other airports as well...

That would be nice, but it would still rendering all my useropt.cfg adjustments obsolete for now. As soon as you do anything in the graphics menue, those adjustments are eliminated. In my case I am talking about sharpen=0, which is almost a must to avoid tree shimmering in the distance. So, for now, I have either "sharpen=0" in the config and low end buildings or this annoying sharpening but ultra buildings...

Chris thats strange becasue if you have "Custom Preset" in your config, for me setting are saved. And i can do the building only dance.

In your config file the very top line is you GPU and the very bottom line is you install path. I have and you could try deleting everything between then and let MSFS build a new one. YOU MUST keep the path at the bottom. Also keep the top line with GPU info.

Back it up if it say you need 120GB update. Close the sim add back your back up config reboot PC and your back to how before. I know ive been there lol. Its all about not deleted GPU and install path.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip