Sign in to follow this  
Keirtt

Bring back volumetric lighting!

10 minutes ago, OSM said:

We do have volumetric lighting but we don't have haze cone of light. Haze doesn't reflect light after SU5.

there was a cone prior to su5 with 'volumetric=1' in the fx definition when blended with fog and clouds.  

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Yah, it appears they fiddled with the reflections in several ways, even the normal ones. Though they didn't make massive changes, but the lighting is a bit harsher now. 

In case anyone is interested or missed this, here was what I found in general...

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

1 hour ago, kdfw__ said:

there was a cone prior to su5 with 'volumetric=1' in the fx definition when blended with fog and clouds.  

For the Landing Lights I use custom fx emitter with 'volumetric=1'.

Edited by OSM

10 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

Alright Mr, Negative Nancy. Live in your silly conspiracy theory world. Do you want a tinfoil hat?

Yes, it might be a (yet another) bug, but there is also a possibility it has been removed. Anyway, what's wrong asking for a detalied list also included any _removed_ features? And whats wrong with a bit of sarcasm?

Don't you just love negative (and conderscending) people complaining about negative people. Lighten up, dude 😉

• Like 1

I'm going to make a prediction. All of the people saying the sim was degraded for Xbox will end up looking foolish.

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

8 minutes ago, Krakin said:

I'm going to make a prediction. All of the people saying the sim was degraded for Xbox will end up looking foolish.

Despite the full encyclopedia worth of evidence that says otherwise? 

Hope you don't frequent Vegas. 

• Like 4

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Just as a quick update for all, Asobo has acknowledged the issue and logged it as a [BUG]. Team is reviewing it according to Ollie. So that's great news!

• Like 7

Gaming rig
Intel i9 13900k - NZXT Kraken Z73 cooler - ASUS Maximus Hero Z790 
32GB Trident Z 6000MHz DDR5 - Gigabyte 4090 GAMING OC 24G
10 x 120mm Lian Li UNI fans - Lian Li OD11XL Case - Corsair HX1500i PSU

15 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

That is not what I meant.

They can lower the graphics settings on the X-Box the same way you can right now on your PC.

They don't need to remove graphics options to get the sim to work on X-Box, they just need to lower the settings.

My feeling, and I repeat, feeling, is that even if it is true that most of the PC code is also good for XBoxes, maybe there was something in one of more than one code segments that took advantage of some technique that didn't work out too well on the boxes.

Imagine this: a rendering pipeline that takes a reasonable amount of time on a PC, and scales pretty well with sliders, so those with a less powerful PC can stay low. Now imagine if this same pipeline scales horribly badly on the boxes, or even works erratically, sometimes even producing glitches and pauses. What do you do? Keep two different versions? That can be hard to do. Better opt for a simplified, dumbed down, version; or, if you think that few will notice and that the majority of PC users will be happy with increased FPS, disable that (or those) pipeline altogether. Then you come out showing an impressive increase in FPS, but casually forget to mention that you are not using the graphics engine like you were doing before.

Another observation about memory: could it be that they had to limit memory usage because they only have 8GB of fast memory on the XBox S? I saw 30 GB free during a flight a few months ago, meaning that it was using 34GB. That wouldn't be possible on a box, not even the X.

This is what I think happened. I have no proof and no insider hint. Just my instinct of 43 years programming stuff.

A.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keirtt said:

Just as a quick update for all, Asobo has acknowledged the issue and logged it as a [BUG]. Team is reviewing it according to Ollie. So that's great news!

Sauce?

Paul

BeQuiet Pure Base 500 FX - MSI Mag Tomahawk B760 - i5 13600k @ 5.1ghz - 32GB RAM - RTX 3060 12GB  -  32f (31.5" ) Full HD Monitor - TCA Officer Pack - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke -  Logitech Multi Panel

5 minutes ago, garlicbread11 said:

Sauce?

Link

Edited by Wise87
  • Like 2

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

• Like 1

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

5 hours ago, styckx said:

Despite the full encyclopedia worth of evidence that says otherwise? 

Hope you don't frequent Vegas. 

Come styckx it's a little early to call the 10 year project sealed and done don't you think?  Geez, Henny Penny it's all over now :ohmy:

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

29 minutes ago, Noel said:

Come styckx it's a little early to call the 10 year project sealed and done don't you think?  Geez, Henny Penny it's all over now :ohmy:

I REALLY hope it is not sealed and done! But the devs have to prove that they believe in the PC platform and work hard on the PC branch to solve the regressions, downgrades, ctd's they introduced with this version.

A.

51 minutes ago, ADamiani said:

I REALLY hope it is not sealed and done! But the devs have to prove that they believe in the PC platform and work hard on the PC branch to solve the regressions, downgrades, ctd's they introduced with this version.

A.

So you honestly believe they are going to abandon the other half of the dual platform release?  They full well know there are fundamental differences, they also know a whole bunch of people bought high end hardware to run MSFS on, they clearly produced all of their promotional videos in Win 10 versions, they've said it's a 10 year project and that they would not abandon the hard core flight simmer.  I have to believe w/ the presumed giant routing of their resources towards a fixed release date for Xbox they simply parked the Win10 side temporarily.  I think it's just way way too early to panic that it's all over for Win 10.  Don't forget a week ago we had SU4 entirely running in Win 10 and running quite well I might add.  We are seeing a version now that can run on Win 10 but is absolutely optimized for the lesser hardware that Xbox SX/S is.  One factor that helps is while Xbox is MS' hardware and MSFS is their software and that's always a good thing in terms of reducing problems, they also own and develop Window.

It's of course possible MS/A will fail to re-tune the sim for Win 10, but I highly doubt it because, once again, it was pretty decent in SU4 so that build works reasonably well already.  My guess is that we will see something that knows what it is running on, and acts accordingly.  It's conceivable, once they have worked on what optimizations are worth keeping for Win 10 we will see something akin to SU4 but with what they learned about optimizing for Xbox some of those changes will be retained for Win 10 version.  This is the most plausible future I see.   Don't forget a whole lot of people worldwide use Win 10 PCs as well, it's not all gamers on Xbox who play games/sims.  MS wil also benefit from gamers on Xbox who try MSFS and like it, want the better Win 10 version, and I say better because there are substantial improvements in processing power in top end hardware over Xbox SX/S. 

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X