Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

The dev team has acknowledged the issues...

3 minutes ago, omarsmak30 said:

Can you please show us some screenshots before and after to make sure is not a placebo effect ?

The only screenshot I have of a before is the one I posted in my other thread where the photogrammetry trees load up late. I didn't bother to take much pics because of how bad the sim looked before the change. I wish I had comparison shots. But I know this is not a placebo affect at all. I know I had a few other shots I posted in the various threads but I can't remember exactly which ones. I'll try to see if I can find some.

Edited by captain420

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

15 minutes ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

I really recommend trying to increase anisotropic filtering through NVidia control panel, if MSFS is somehow not holding the setting. Anisotropic filtering has a profound effect on visuals - without anisotropic filtering everything looks extremely blurry at a distance. The difference is obvious when textures are stretched unevenly, which is almost always the case at a distance due to perspective projection. Anisotropic filtering takes care of this by compensating for the unevenness, hence the name anisotropic.

1200px-Anisotropic_filtering_en.png

9M5Fn.jpg

I'm definitely going to have to try this. I've been wondering why everything a few metres away looks blurry in night flights.

Definitely appears to be broken settings bugs within the sim. They will be fixed, no doubt.

I still think the worst visual aspect of update 5, for me, is reflections. Sydney was a mess, with reflections dancing around, as well as drawing in then erasing and redrawing as I tilt the aircraft, like some indecisive artist is sitting inside the computer (like the camera imps in Discworld), unable to settle on the image they want.

Edited by March Hare

Just now, captain420 said:

The only screenshot I have of a before is the one I posted in my other thread where the photogrammetry trees load up late. I didn't bother to take much pics because of how bad the sim looked before the change. I wish I had comparison shots. But I know this is not a placebo affect at all.

Then would be great if you can revert the change and do one before so it can clear up any confusion here :). 

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

In VR, x16 and x8 in the nvidia CPL look very similar, but x4 and x2 have noticeably more blur in the distant textures. I could easily work with x8 from what I've seen so far.

Great find!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ADamiani said:

There are people who believe that Elvis Presley is still alive somewhere.

Don’t be rude. 

2 minutes ago, dogmanbird said:

In VR, x16 and x8 in the nvidia CPL look very similar, but x4 and x2 have noticeably more blur in the distant textures. I could easily work with x8 from what I've seen so far.

Great find!

So it works? Does it get rid of the awful shimmering too? 

yep, the tarmac texture a few meters in front of me has less shimmer (for me) in VR, I don't know how 2d flyers will find it though.

At x8, if I'm 100ft above one end of airstrip, the rectangular boxes on the runway at the far end are somewhat blurry and that's all.  x16 is basically sharp end to end

Edited by dogmanbird
  • Like 1

Where is the texture resolution setting in the cfg file? I can't see it. Is it called something else?

2 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Definitely appears to be broken settings bugs within the sim. They will be fixed, no doubt.

I've not tested all the things discussed here yet, but I'm starting to get a possible explanation:

1. The Texture Resolution value is saved in reversed order

This is not a problem in itself as long as the code reading and writing the value is using the same reversed order, but...

2. Some parts of the rendering engine is using the Texture Resolution setting as a "quality" param

Say Pixel Shader code for specular or something else is using the Texture resolution value in order to lower the processing if you're using lower texture resolution for example. Then this is a problem, because if the code using the Texture Resolution value as a "quality" param is coded expecting the correct value order, then LOW texture resolution = ULTRA quality param for the other parts, and ULTRA texture resolution = LOW quality param for the other parts.

I suspect this might be the reason Texture Resolution LOW might be giving better outside (not cockpit) visuals because it might be used for something else in in the rendering in addition to the actual texture resolution. But I'll confront this theory to the test anyhow.

• Like 4

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

What I think is sometimes the game loads blurrier aerial textures than other times from the servers, so when doing any of these tests, make sure everything appears to look just as sharp as normal BEFORE doing the test, otherwise bad result.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

5 hours ago, Alpine Scenery said:

That's good you have a master's in linguistics, and impressive (I agree), but it doesn't have all that much to do with polls on a web site. We can argue about it all day, but even properly written polls can be incorrect.

\work mode ON

Here is the mathematician, specifically working on statistical learning and machine learning in the last ten years.

A web poll like this one is nothing more than (at most) anecdotal evidence. Scientific value: close to zero.

Deriving any conclusion from it, in either direction, is not advisable.

\work mode OFF

Best

A.

• Like 1

VBbVPin.png

4BDeQ6f.png

g0DmXes.png

I goofed the third image (different zoom level), but overall haven't seen any differences in seat textures, it probably only effects the cockpit text itself.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Upvote 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

2 hours ago, devgrp said:

Some of you guys behave like toddlers. You're the only one with a 120 ft screen complaining about the sim being blurry and has yet to post a screen shot, when others are saying to turn off sharpening because its too sharp

But seriously, have you got something to say about the sim, so you will stop talking about people?

A.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

I goofed the third image (different zoom level), but overall haven't seen any differences in seat textures, it probably only effects the cockpit text itself.

I'm currently testing and so far I've tried changing Texture Synthesis and this doesn't seem to make much difference anymore (but I'm now using NVidia 16X and this might be overriding, so I'll test without NVidia override later). I'm wondering if texture resolution is still making a diff too now in SU5.

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)