Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

The dev team has acknowledged the issues...

Just now, captain420 said:

Janov just posted a picture already.

Yeah, I saw that. I could tell it was not MSFS immediately. Looks completely different when it comes to lighting and atmosphere.

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

Just now, Aristoteles said:

I already did, even posted some coordinates and your opinion was reinforced by them, so what´s the point? I think I have clearly shown that there has been a graphic downgrade, but if you are not convinced, as I said, I respect you. 

I missed your post. I am going there right now to check it out.

You can tell it´s not FS inmmediately. I can too. But those reflections on buildings, that flat illumination, that hazy look, building LOD simplification, ...it´s more like FS now than it was in SU4.

C172.jpg?width=1202&height=676

If it wasn´t for the Bing and FS vegetation, the overall look is not far away now. Shadows, tint, chromatic richness, autogen homogeneity everything is a deja vu.

Edited by Aristoteles
  • Like 1

Iñigo Bildarratz

20 minutes ago, Slides said:

I do notice it being brighter overall but the thing is that I remember X-Plane being way more saturated and "game like" than real life, so the comparison is confusing to me.

Real life looks a lot more like MSFS then any X-Plane iteration I have seen in terms of lighting. Even SU5. 

Yes, "real-life" and most flights are overblown and washed out due to the sun, but certainly not all flights. I have been in planes under an evenly dispersed cloud layer where the saturation in the real plane looked quite cartoony on the ground from the incredible amount of GREEN grass. Real-life can also look incredibly saturated. I was over parts of N Utah and Idaho in the summer taking a small off-hop flight from SLC to Idaho Springs. 

As far as XP 11, the saturation just depends on your setup and is easy to change, this is more about the tone curve / gamma. Xplane had gamma issues and an intrinsic haziness to the lighting under almost ALL scenarios, unless you tweaked the hell out of it, that helped but the lighting was still flat.

Tone curves are not so easy to change for a game because it's not necessarily following a strict standard. Hence, it may be outputting to X-Y-Z standard gamma in the game, but the lighting itself can be all over the place because it's artificially generated by a game engine rather than a pro camera system with a professional color grader at the remastering production end of that process.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

Sorry, @Aristoteles, can you please provide coordinates that I can plug into MSFS? The format you provided is not working in MSFS.

I feel like my recreation will be useless since I'm not seeing the X-Plane like visuals you are describing anywhere.

For the pic in Albania just takeoff from LATI. For the pic in Spain just take off from LESO,  or LFBZ and head 10nm south.

Iñigo Bildarratz

51 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Here, the overall image is pretty washed out, lacks contrast. Especially the cockpit panel. I don't know how anyone can say that looks good or realistic. It doesn't at all.

image.png

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Screenshot-20

Did I get the right place? Yours looks completely different? 

Edited by Slides

15 minutes ago, Aristoteles said:

For the pic in Albania just takeoff from LATI. For the pic in Spain just take off from LESO,  or LFBZ and head 10nm south.

Ok, but that's not very precise for the comparison we're trying to do. I need exact weather, location, graphics settings etc or I'm just going to show you how good MSFS looks and validate my own opinion. 

10 minutes ago, Slides said:

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Screenshot-20

Did I get the right place? Yours looks completely different? 

Yes, that's because I'm using Orbx KNVY and the JustFlight Arrow. Cockpit probably needs to be updated for SU5 on the plane, but the overall colors look the same as mines.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

1 minute ago, captain420 said:

Yes, that's because I'm using Orbx KNVY and the JustFlight Arrow. Cockpit probably needs to be updated for SU5 on the plane, but the overall colors look the same as mines.

I don't know what to say. Mine looks just as good as I remember SU4 as looking at ground level. Just with better FPS.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

Yes, "real-life" and most flights are overblown and washed out due to the sun, but certainly not all flights. I have been in planes under an evenly dispersed cloud layer where the saturation in the real plane looked quite cartoony on the ground from the incredible amount of GREEN grass. Real-life can also look incredibly saturated. I was over parts of N Utah and Idaho in the summer taking a small off-hop flight from SLC to Idaho Springs. 

As far as XP 11, the saturation just depends on your setup and is easy to change, this is more about the tone curve / gamma. Xplane had gamma issues and an intrinsic haziness to the lighting under almost ALL scenarios, unless you tweaked the hell out of it, that helped but the lighting was still flat.

Tone curves are not so easy to change for a game because it's not necessarily following a strict standard. Hence, it may be outputting to X-Y-Z standard gamma in the game, but the lighting itself can be all over the place because it's artificially generated by a game engine rather than a pro camera system with a professional color grader at the remastering production end of that process.

I mean, thanks for the added info, but all this tells me is that MSFS is an a good place for the most part.

This is easily the dumbest post I've ever seen from a developer. 

Accepts nothing, offers nothing, pretends they care. 

Asobo are making EA and Ubisoft seem like human beings. 

Microsoft themselves need to step in and start taking names. 

Edited by styckx

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

5 minutes ago, Slides said:

I mean, thanks for the added info, but all this tells me is that MSFS is an a good place for the most part.

Yes, and just to add to it, you weren't really wrong because gamma does affect the appearance of saturation. Hence, darker gamma will look more saturated than a brighter gamma. The problem is saturation is closer to a linear set it and forget it, whereas the tone curve can get quite complicated, though only HDR tone curves are technically truly non-linear (depending how you define it).

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

1 hour ago, Aristoteles said:

I havent got Xplane installed since...years, but what I mean, is that in SU5 building sides, roofs, and overall appearance looks way duller. Evrything seems covered with a a yellowish tint. Chrimatic richness and vibrance is gone.

SU4 (this is what I loved about the sim, that chromatic richness, shadows, illumination....)

Su4.jpg?width=1202&height=676

SU5 (way blurrier, homogeneous, less vibrant and hazy. It looks like a cheap photographic filter was applied on top and reflection/illumination richness was taken back to Xplane 11 vanilla times)

Su5.jpg?width=1202&height=676

By the way, SU4 pic was taken with LOD 100 , SU5 with lod 300, and still....

Below pic is what I would consider an upgrade...can you get those Blackshark generated building towns to look like that now? 

Quesada.jpg?width=1202&height=676

That displays exactly what the issue so many are talking about!

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

I'm just waiting for the news about the hotfix/patch/update, at least for the CTD issues and compatibility issues with many addons. I think they have to solve this ASAP, like within days, because for many PC users the sim is unusable.