Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Telling it like it is..

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

He raises some good points. Their own release notes for this patch are pretty damming of their QA process (non-existent?). I still wonder why they bother with a beta period. They clearly ignored it. 

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

I only wished he had more exposure and this had more eyeballs in front of it on the level of full fledged press. Surprise surprise just like myself. He works in IT

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

I posted his recommendations for using studio drivers on the driver/video card forum earlier. Hopefully might help some people.

Edited by mobeans10

My thought on the usercfg.opt tweaks are, if a hotfix drops Friday or Monday, we may not have to do those things he mentions around 2:30 of the vid.  (?)

In other words, the Raytracing 1 thing, may not be needed come Friday/Monday?  I guess I'll just have to see what happens with that file.

• Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Well guys, I just followed Overkill's video and made the suggested changes, including the driver change to Studio and it made a world of difference. I just had the smoothest and best looking flight that I've had since SU5. I'm not sure if it was pre SU5 graphics quality but it was not far off, and the smoothness of the entire flight was certainly the best I've experienced.

I've been very vocal about my displeasure with the train wreck that was SU5 and in fact ended up getting temporarily silenced on another (I won't mention but I'm sure you can all guess) forum. I've also been (begrudgingly) making various changes to the cfg.opt file with mixed results. However the past couple of days things only became worse and I really can't put my finger on any one thing but between the exceedingly annoying graphics degradation and the occasional CTD and I was also losing FPS I was really not too excited to fly. The flight I just finished is one that I've been repeating in an attempt to regain some of the glory I'd experienced before. KPDX --> KSEA. I takes me by several mountain tops and over very well defined terrain and at 10,000' I was very happy with what I was seeing, all the way into Seattle and the live sunset Seattle skyline was magnificent.

I tried several graphics settings while enroute but settled on High End as I saw no noticeable difference between that and Ultra and seemed to take a slight FPS hit on Ultra. I also tried PG on and off while on approach and the terrain and buildings on Seattle, while not perfect, looked quite good with PG on.

I feel that Asobo will eventually get these issues ironed out although I scratch my head in wonderment as to how they can break so much when they are supposedly making progress but that's a discussion that's been beaten to death. However I don't want to wait while they try and figure it all out. If another Hotfix (#2) drops tomorrow it will take less than 2 minutes to put the cfg.opt back to what it was last week. The same with re-installing a new driver if that needs to be done but honestly, as it is right now and at least for this one flight I'm very much happy with it and I can continue to fly while they try and figure out why the patient's shoes are untied. (Loved that comment he made.)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 min and  2 things.

1) Set setting and then set to "ready only"

It doesn't appear to do any good to set this file to read only , if you are into file editing. The reason for this is that 
if you look at that advanced settings under file permissions, you will see that win10 allows system changes to override
permissions. It seems that MS2020 has the ability to make changes to this file at a system level.

2) Studios drivers! 

Right!

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Come out and say "you don't know what's causing CTDs"? Hmm. I understand his frustration, but I would guess they do know. The fact they have specifically said CTD should be fixed in update 6 implies they know exactly what the cause is, and they know it's something integral to the work they're doing for that specific update. If they didn't know, they'd be in no position to issue that statement.

• Like 4

Yeah I'm definitely with him on the CTD issue. It is insanity that this is not priority number 1, 2 and 3. The sim is unusable for me in this state and I doubt it will ever be fixed.

• Like 2

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Actually for the CTDs thing, I am pretty sure, they are really have no idea what are the causes of these CTDs which is fine and he raised a good point, then just say you don't know what is the cause and you will continue to investigate, not just promise. 

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

Thing is, you can't say they are choosing graphics over stability. Different team members work on these different things. The graphical bugs are a priority for the devs working on the graphics, and the particular areas of the graphics they are tasked with. The core system engine and its stability is a priority for the ones working on the core engine -- but it's going to take more work to resolve than the graphics coders need to do on their side.

They have already issued a hot fix for CTDs -- at least some of them -- proving that they are doing something about it. That fix has worked for me so far *touch wood*

Edited by March Hare
  • Like 2

@Bobsk8 I want to thank you for this video. That Nvidia fix has almost eliminated my issues with SU5! My V-Sync wasn't working, my windowed mode was buggy with camera jumping around,  I had some weird shimmering surrounding any light source plus my annoying CTDs. All these issues (not sure about the CTD, so far I have got no CTD since I switched Nvidia driver but I will need to test further) have been resolved by completely reinstall the Studio driver. Thanks again!

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

2 hours ago, Nyxx said:

19 min and  2 things.

1) Set setting and then set to "ready only"

It doesn't appear to do any good to set this file to read only , if you are into file editing. The reason for this is that 
if you look at that advanced settings under file permissions, you will see that win10 allows system changes to override
permissions. It seems that MS2020 has the ability to make changes to this file at a system level.

2) Studios drivers! 

Right!

It has always been that way, read only most of the time doesn't work. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310