Sign in to follow this  
psolk

737 landing Paro Bhutan...

Wow... Talk about violating just about every safety practice and the FO has his iphone out filming the whole thing.  Thank goodness someone called for power just before they slammed down, probably the only thing that kept the fuselage alive!  I mean I know it's Paro which is one of the most difficult approaches in the world but this was so far from a controlled approach compared to other videos like the one below.  That was just a horrible approach and decision not to Go-Around

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/incredible-video-insane-landing-indonesian-airline/

What it should look like... 

https://youtu.be/ZBNhwOeOf4Q

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

What the hell! Did you hear him say "don't worry"?

Unbelievable. Obviously go-around required and yet he kept going as if he were a beginner in PC sim.

12 minutes ago, martin-w said:

What the hell! Did you hear him say "don't worry"?

Unbelievable. Obviously go-around required and yet he kept going as if he were a beginner in PC sim.

Yep, sorry I'd be worried... 

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

While this approach is out of the norms and requires special procedures and training I'm quite disappointed/alarmed to see this happening.
The filming was done from the jumpseat (regardless of who was occupying that seat) position and has nothing to do with the F/O position.
Absolutely that was a mandatory Go-around.
The right seat was occupied by another pilot, Captain or Check-airman that was out to lunch.
This is a very short clip and it's very difficult to have a correct assessment. 
All we can see and hopefully can agree on is that we have a perfect example of an unstabilized approach, a poorly trained acting pilot at controls and a none flying pilot (Captain or Check-airman) that is as much as dangerous as the other one for not being able to speak up, control the situation or just to call a Go-Around.
Oh yes, to be "worried" it's a very nice way to put it.

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

14 minutes ago, killthespam said:
While this approach is out of the norms and requires special procedures and training I'm quite disappointed/alarmed to see this happening.
The filming was done from the jumpseat (regardless of who was occupying that seat) position and has nothing to do with the F/O position.
Absolutely that was a mandatory Go-around.
The right seat was occupied by another pilot, Captain or Check-airman that was out to lunch.
This is a very short clip and it's very difficult to have a correct assessment. 
All we can see and hopefully can agree on is that we have a perfect example of an unstabilized approach, a poorly trained acting pilot at controls and a none flying pilot (Captain or Check-airman) that is as much as dangerous as the other one for not being able to speak up, control the situation or just to call a Go-Around.
Oh yes, to be "worried" it's a very nice way to put it.

My comment in regards to the F/O was not that it was his video but if you watch the end of the video you can see he is holding his iphone in his hand filming... 

Screenshot-213-2.png

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

44 minutes ago, psolk said:

My comment in regards to the F/O was not that it was his video but if you watch the end of the video you can see he is holding his iphone in his hand filming... 

I would like to share with you the following.
There are indeed regulations (from different authorities or companies) that prohibit the use of certain portable electronic devices that have been determined to interfere with aircraft systems.
There are also regulations that forbid any nonessential activities during critical phases of flight like ground movement or below 10 K or sterile cockpit situations.
Some will allow cellphones or not regardless if they are in the "Airplane mode".
Your remark was that "the FO has his iphone out filming the whole thing"     , so I'm not so sure what it is now based on your last statement.
I hope that you can accept that is for sure that the jump seater or observer/relief pilot was using a device to make a "scary movie", not the FO at his station.
All the best.

26 minutes ago, killthespam said:

Your remark was that "the FO has his iphone out filming the whole thing"     , so I'm not so sure what it is now based on your last statement.

While this video was filmed from the jump seat, the pilot (supposedly) monitoring, who is a captain(!), was also filming it.

Screenshot-213-2.png

Edited by tutmeister
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, tutmeister said:

While this video was filmed from the jump seat, the pilot (supposedly) monitoring, who is a captain(!), was also filming it.

Screenshot-213-2.png

In addition to that one this picture is CLEARLY from the right seat not the jumpseat....  This is what he was filming.  Scary

Screenshot-204-1.png

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

41 minutes ago, tutmeister said:

Screenshot-213-2.png

I see it now.

I was wrong. My apologies.

Unbelievable. Some put us to shame.  I'm speechless. 

• Like 1

They went through all GPWS modes without pushing the Test-button.

Impressive - In a bad way 😁

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

When I saw this post, I thought: 'well, how bad can it actually be?' then I watched the video, and yup, that's really bad and absolutely should have been a go around for sure. Getting bank angle warnings and being that far off the centre line that low down is definitely the time for the FO to call a go around, and that thing slams down and bounces so hard that they get a second sink rate warning after the first touch. Under normal circumstances at my works, a hard landing such as that would require a flight engineer to give the thing the once-over before it would be cleared to fly again, but given how slapdash this thing appears to be, I bet they didn't even do that either.

Ironically enough, I was on some anti-terrorist training course yesterday at work, and as part of the course they were going to great lengths to talk about us not posting videos and images on forums and social media which might give away stuff that could help people with ill intents toward aviation; but of course we always have to think about not posting things which might also reflect badly on an airport, company or some such, and if ever there was a video which does that, it's this one. It's bad enough that the guys were filming it when they should have been doing their jobs - what's wrong with mounting the camera and leaving it if you really want to film the thing? Even if you don't have an actual phone mount, all it takes is a bit of tape or Blutack to do that - but to then actually post the video of you doing this and making such a royal @rse-up of a landing instead of having the brains to delete a video which shows the F.O not doing his monitoring role at all, let alone properly as evidenced by him not looking at the instruments at all and not calling a go around, is just shockingly stupid and demonstrates that these guys have no critical decision-making skills whatsoever.

These guys might have a death wish, but I'm fairly sure that they didn't consult the passengers about that to ensure it was unanimous. It's a staggeringly irresponsible way to fly an aeroplane with passengers on board, let alone the danger it poses to those on the ground as well. If the airline has any sense of PR chops, they will sack this crew immediately and make it very clear that they have done so too. There is no place for sh***y pilots like this in commercial aviation, it's nothing short of a disgrace that these guys are even allowed near a cockpit, let alone put in charge of flying anything other than a kite.

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

51 minutes ago, Chock said:

is definitely the time for the FO to call a go around...

It was a training captain in the right seat. Which makes this even worse..

• Like 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

3 hours ago, SAS443 said:

It was a training captain in the right seat. Which makes this even worse..

That's what I was wondering, the right seater appears to have 4 bars so unless he borrowed a more qualified pilots shirt for the flight he should know better.  Filming it all with his phone no less.  My understanding is there were no passengers, it was a vaccine delivery flight.  I wonder how many vials actually survived that landing!

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

On 8/5/2021 at 4:23 PM, psolk said:

Screenshot-213-2.png

I feel he mixed up real life vs. flightsim. Probaly just used fsx to keep in shape while in qurantane, but finally lost sense for real and virtual. Who knows.

Exactly these kind of pilots and behaviour is responsible for a complete ban for taking videos or photos inside the cockpit. Such an irresponsible behaviour.

Edited by 737_800
linked wrong image