Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

MSFS will never allow users to stay on an older version

So as a software developer myself, I always suspected there was no way Asobo would allow users to stay on an older version of MSFS.  Anyways, we don't need to guess why anymore.  Matt from Working Title has provided a technical answer on why Microsoft/Asobo cannot allow users to stay on older versions of MSFS, and why users must update to the latest version of MSFS each time an update is released:

There are no plans to allow running on previous versions at this time.

The sim uses a number of cloud services that are synchronized with the sim (not just scenery data services, but also auth, profile, marketplace entitlements, settings storage, etc) and the team does not have plans to maintain the multiple versions of the large amount of backend infrastructure that would be required or take each service and abstract in into a cacheable model.

We understand sometimes that updates can cause unintended issues, but the team strongly believes that having the full community (which will now also include XBox) on the same version ensures the best possible feedback and telemetry to the team to get those problems sorted quicker, and avoids the user confusion of having multiple versions of the product running side by side.

Matt | Working Title

So for those who want to stay on an older version of MSFS because you think it's more stable, forget it, it will never happen.  Instead, if you want a more stable release, the most productive way forward is to push Asobo to implement an "opt in" beta for every player in MSFS, so that the beta testing can be expanded to every player who wants to "opt into" the beta (you can vote for the "opt in" beta request here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/add-a-beta-version-players-can-enable-before-releasing-a-patch/277648/42).

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 3

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

You can stay on an older version now with the caveat that you won't be able to fly the sim.  🤠

bs

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

Why should i stay on an old version?

Automatic online updates are the best invention since the invention of the computer! 🙃

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

8 minutes ago, Paladin2005 said:

Automatic online updates are the best invention since the invention of the computer! 🙃

Dang ... and I thought it was Korean High School Romantic Comedies in 3D VR .

• Like 2

Staying on an older version really means maintaining multiple older versions, and that would fragment the development team's time in a way that progress would quickly come to a screeching halt. No thanks.   

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

9 minutes ago, Paladin2005 said:

On paper, yes, but in reality, EVERY SU so far had major issues. I don't know of ANY software that forces you to update NOW. Even mother Windows gives you opt-out to a point.

They have to up their game when it comes to quality control. The 300 beta tester approach clearly does not work. 

The opt-in beta option seems to be a step in the right direction.

Having to update MSFS in three different places (Store, Sim, Content Manager) is another booh booh that I will never understand and is totally and completely user unfriendly....

• Like 4

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

19 minutes ago, Paladin2005 said:

Except that they have previously broken key elements of the sim until a hotfix is provided.  Recent SU5 as a clear example.  Would be nice to see an option to defer for a finite period of time.  Or upon update issues provide the ability to roll back until a hotfix is issued and confirmed. 

I have kept a previous sim installed at the ready for just such occurrences.

• Like 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

14 minutes ago, Silicus said:

On paper, yes, but in reality, EVERY SU so far had major issues. I don't know of ANY software that forces you to update NOW. Even mother Windows gives you opt-out to a point.

They have to up their game when it comes to quality control. The 300 beta tester approach clearly does not work. 

The opt-in beta option seems to be a step in the right direction.

Having to update MSFS in three different places (Store, Sim, Content Manager) is another booh booh that I will never understand and is totally and completely user unfriendly....

Yes, I don't even know why the "opt in" beta test request only has 400 some votes, since September of last year.  The "opt in" beta test is the single most important request if we really want stability for each update (vote here for it if you haven't voted for it yet). 

• Like 4

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Personally I appreciate the FREE updates and look forward to them - mostly good and maybe some temporary not-so-good.

When you consider all the people time that goes into these updates we should all stand in awe.

Cheers

bs

• Like 4

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

1 hour ago, abrams_tank said:

So for those who want to stay on an older version of MSFS because you think it's more stable, forget it, it will never happen.  Instead, if you want a more stable release, the most productive way forward is to push Asobo to implement an "opt in" beta for every player in MSFS, so that the beta testing can be expanded to every player who wants to "opt into" the beta (you can vote for the "opt in" beta request here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/add-a-beta-version-players-can-enable-before-releasing-a-patch/277648/42).

I was stuck on MSFS 1.17.3 when SU5 came out, I did fly this version until 13 Aug, for some reason MS store did not see any update that needs to be installed, and I honestly didn't pay much effort to solve the issue until HF2 came out with (mostly) positive reactions, then I found a solution to the issue of MS store and updated to SU5HF2 directly and enjoying it since.

again, a big thank you to MS/ASOBO and the sim community for all the efforts from every one (even the angry ones) to get this Sim better and better with each update.

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

I'm perfectly fine with that !

Keep it simple... keep it coming... keep it shining !!!!

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 5

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Yes, I agree with Matt, despite the difficulties that come immediately after an update, automatic updates and keeping everyone on the same version is, in the final analysis, the best way to go. This is 2021, it is a cloud based platform, there really is no other way I could see it being and the benefits far outweigh the temporary inconveniences. 

• Like 1

Dan Scott