Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

This is the best state MSFS has ever been in

7 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Laminar Research has been clear they are not looking at ground textures based on satellite imagery.  

I'm looking forward to their next X-Plane release.  Improved lighting and weather is promised.  As long as ground features are in the right place, VFR flight will still be realistic without satellite imagery.  I spend most of my time in MSFS, especially after SU5 with hotfix 2 and WU6.  When I want to fly an aircraft only available in X-Plane, I still get a great feeling with the flight.

But they won't be. Without satellite imagery, buildings and other features, except for a few hand-crafted cities, will mostly not be in the right place or have the right footprint. For those don't care about realistic scenery, this is no problem; but for those who do, it is.

I am very happy at this point with MSFS. I have yet to suffer a single CTD since WU6 (knock on wood). Settings back where I had them before SU5. Fluid, smooth, immersive and gorgeous. 

• Like 6

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

No CTD's here; only 4 items in the community folder.  Windows 10 install from early July 2021 and FS 2020 from early July also.

Simon

51 minutes ago, simon747 said:

No CTD's here; only 4 items in the community folder.  Windows 10 install from early July 2021 and FS 2020 from early July also.

Also this is for me, no CTD's a long time now would say since SU5 Hotfix 2 nothing ( but i didn't had mutch since ages now.. )

And that with my complete community which is at the moment at around 430 gig !

cheers 😉

Edited by pmplayer

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Swe_Richard said:

I am very happy at this point with MSFS. I have yet to suffer a single CTD since WU6 (knock on wood). Settings back where I had them before SU5. Fluid, smooth, immersive and gorgeous. 

Great to hear you're back to flying happily, after all the troubles you had with SU5! 

• Like 1

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

1 hour ago, pstrub said:

Great to hear you're back to flying happily, after all the troubles you had with SU5! 

Thanks! Yeah, up until I started messing with certain settings SU5 was unusable for me. After WU6 I'm back on my old settings so I guess they managed to fix what got broken with SU5. Still have a bit of CTD angst TBH.. But after, I think, six flights (with the WT CJ4 and FBW A320 dev version) ranging from 100 to 1800NM I am getting my hopes up.. 🙂

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Took the CRJ for a short IFR flight from Geneva LSGG to Samedan LSZS today. To me, this is one of the best flights you can do in an airliner in Switzerland, so I thought I’d share some impressions. I let Simbrief do the planning and it spat out a pretty scenic route. After climbing over Lake Geneva, with the Mont Blanc massif to your right, you fly along the crest of the Alps to the very east of Switzerland where you descend into the Engadin valley. The approach is quite spectacular as you have to be really careful with the altitude and speed so that you don‘t crash into a mountain. The RNAV into runway 21 is offset and you can only see the runway relatively late which was pretty scary the first time I flew it, especially because there were some clouds obscuring the mountains at the FAF. There‘s an excellent freeware scenery of LSZS on flightsim.to that makes the this flight even more rewarding. 

Here's are some screenshots. I didn‘t take them during the actual flight but later using slew mode.

Takeoff at Geneva (payware scenery):

nVXaFZj.jpg

o36Oy4O.jpg

Cruising altitude, Bernese Oberland:

PLlymSg.jpgXxw4yyL.jpgLcnJvRj.jpgSBR4zaB.jpg

Approaching the FAF:

riv7rMn.jpg

Descending into the Engadin valley:

MLNrjRi.jpg

Final and touchdown:UtEnaKH.jpg

SuoLXUp.jpgYsDLUmb.jpg

Safely arrived:

EYqKtYO.jpg

Edited by Shack95
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

They have worked wonders on the performance, and the standard of visuals we can now get, even on lesser systems. We just need to start seeing some of these more complex airlcraft  and their systems operating as should, and this will really take off (No pun intended)

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

15 hours ago, cobalt said:

But they won't be. Without satellite imagery, buildings and other features, except for a few hand-crafted cities, will mostly not be in the right place or have the right footprint. For those don't care about realistic scenery, this is no problem; but for those who do, it is.

I am more referring to villages, towns and cities being in the right place, not individual buildings.  Roads, railways etc will be accurately placed.  An accurate VFR flight just requires things to be in the right geographic place.  MSFS already does individual buildings accurately placed so I personally feel Laminar Research doesn't need to match that.  Realistic mesh and landclass is good enough if the next X-Plane excels in other areas like weather.  If it doesn't then I will not purchase, but the previews so far look promising.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

23 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I am more referring to villages, towns and cities being in the right place, not individual buildings.  Roads, railways etc will be accurately placed.  An accurate VFR flight just requires things to be in the right geographic place.  MSFS already does individual buildings accurately placed so I personally feel Laminar Research doesn't need to match that.  Realistic mesh and landclass is good enough if the next X-Plane excels in other areas like weather.  If it doesn't then I will not purchase, but the previews so far look promising.

Well, this makes for an interesting discussion. I was a huge fan of FSX for years and enjoyed the level of realism you describe, in which towns and cities are located in the right place but their autogen-generated buildings are imaginary and randomly situated. Therefore a non-handcrafted city (most of the world) will look real as you approach it from a distance, but as you get closer you see that it resembles the real city less and less, and when you are finally there, it looks nothing at all like the real place -- even the streets are all wrong. Not very immersive, to say the least. Moreover, in the countryside, the barns, silos, commercial structures, etc. that you see are all fictional, being randomly located autogen.  Before MSFS came along I was OK with all that, but now I am not (I have seen Paree). VFR flight without real-life scenery now seems ancient, and just doesn't cut it any more. It is hard to imagine flight sims in the future being competitive without the "real stuff".

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, cobalt said:

Well, this makes for an interesting discussion. I was a huge fan of FSX for years and enjoyed the level of realism you describe, in which towns and cities are located in the right place but their autogen-generated buildings are imaginary and randomly situated. Therefore a non-handcrafted city (most of the world) will look real as you approach it from a distance, but as you get closer you see that it resembles the real city less and less, and when you are finally there, it looks nothing at all like the real place -- even the streets are all wrong. Not very immersive, to say the least. Moreover, in the countryside, the barns, silos, commercial structures, etc. that you see are all fictional, being randomly located autogen.  Before MSFS came along I was OK with all that, but now I am not (I have seen Paree). VFR flight without real-life scenery now seems ancient, and just doesn't cut it any more. It is hard to imagine flight sims in the future being competitive without the "real stuff".

I agree.  There is no substitution for correct satellite & photogrammetry now.  Auto-gen doesn't cut it and it's fake.  Auto-gen is just a step down, period, and it's inferior.

• Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

10 minutes ago, cobalt said:

Before MSFS came along I was OK with all that, but now I am not (I have seen Paree). VFR flight without real-life scenery now seems ancient, and just doesn't cut it any more. It is hard to imagine flight sims in the future being competitive without the "real stuff".

That's what happens when somebody finally raises the bar.

• Like 3

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

5 hours ago, cobalt said:

It will be very interesting how Laminar Research deal with autogen and the sense of immersion.  Roads will no doubt be correctly placed and maybe the autogen will be diverse enough to place realistically textured buildings along the roads.  Landclass should hopefully place industrial areas and housing in the right areas. If there is also realistic traffic, trains and boats, I would imagine the new lighting and weather would make the world immersive enough.

However, with the bar raised so high by MSFS, they really will have to get the next version right to appeal to the general public.  Who knows, the weather & lighting may be jaw dropping, and open to software like ActiveSky,  making the no satellite imagery world still great to fly in.  I wonder how many more advances MSFS makes before the next version of X-Plane appears?  

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

It is amazing for me.  I literally can not get to CTD or freeze.  I have thrown everything at it; multiple chained flights, 50 mods half of which have not been verified for this update, using the internet, streaming movies during flights,  You name it I did it.  I even played ARMA3 during flight - no probelm. 

• Like 1

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K