Sign in to follow this  
Noel

If you run MSFS locked at 30fps w/ Vsync on please respond.

If you run MSFS locked at 30fps w/ Vsync on...  

96 members have voted

1. 1. If you run MSFS locked at 30fps w/ Vsync on, do you find it fluid and stutter-free now, post WU6?

• Yes, I find it fluid and stutter-free to a high level and I'd rather have the greater graphic complexity and processing overhead that the lower frame lock affords.
    • I like chocolate or vanilla ice cream

I would run the game locked at 60 fps if I had the hardware to do it, but I don't, so I frame limit at 38 fps.

• Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Can I choose both?

Let me preface this by saying, I have a 1080ti card.  It is still able to handle things well even though I bought it in December 2017.  11GB of vram is a lot of headroom.  Anyway, as many of you know or may not know -- a 1080ti is right on the edge of being able to handle 4K resolution.  It can pretty much pull it off, but I have to make a few compromises here and there, that guys with 3080's and 3090's don't have to make.

I have run MSFS in 4K/80 since its beginning.  When I do this I run w/vsync on and 30 refresh.  Both P3D and MSFS are fluid and stutter-free with this setup.  If I unlock vsync in both sims the frames are typically 40-50 but the 30 lock allows headroom for high-density scenery areas.

Lately, however, I have played around with a 1440p resolution.  When I do this, I can flirt with the 60 fps /60hz configuration, and -- it's pretty nice.   I *do* notice a diff between 30 and 60 lock.  I'm still debating with myself whether or not the clarity at 4K is really that much worse at 1440p on my 32" BenQ screen.   SO -- ICE CREAM.  Except you need a coffee ice cream choice.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

https://azretina.sites.arizona.edu/node/837

Or this:

https://vision-boutique.com/how-many-fps-can-the-human-eye-see/

Or this:

Most telling is the USAF can train individuals to recognize up to 220 FPS and identify unique images at 1/220th of a second. I thought my 95 on the Batak was impressive, this individual has the ability to do a 175.  Point being because one person does not see a difference does not mean there are a lot of people that can... 

• Like 2

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I run capped at 30fps deliberately as a trade off between a high/ultra settings mix on 4k while at the same time still giving my 3070 video card a bit of headroom. My monitor is an LG 48 C1, 4k@120hz, with Gsync.

I use the 30fps cap in the nVidia settings panel. In the MSFS settings I leave Vsync off. If I use the Vsync 30Hz inside MSFS (and not use the nVidia cap at the same time) then the graphics are somehow more 'stuttery', not the exact right word, hard to describe, but with the nVidia cap things look more fluent (strangely enough maybe).

Since the monitor has Gsync I could leave the 30Hz cap out. That will run my video card hot at 100% and it'll get me some 40-50 fps with these same high/ultra settings mix. I have tried and obviously the higher fps look more fluent with fast camera moves or when flying low at higher speeds. Since I mainly fly a slow Cessna 172 I prefer the 30 fps with the lower graphics card temperatures and fan noise.

Edited by RudyB24

Always have fun --0-- Flight Sim Navigation

20 minutes ago, RudyB24 said:

Since I mainly fly a slow Cessna 172 I prefer the 30 fps with the lower temperatures and less fan noise of the graphics card.

So, why waste your money on the card? Strange. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RudyB24 said:

Since the monitor has Gsync I could leave the 30Hz cap out. That will run my video card hot at 100% and it'll get me some 40-50 fps with these same high/ultra settings mix. I have tried and obviously the higher fps look more fluent with fast camera moves or when flying low at higher speeds.

So, exactly what it was designed for……

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

MSFS is not the only thing I do on my PC. Also I did not overpay for the card. And with a lesser card, at the settings I run, 4k would probably already have been hard. I'm happy this way.

Edited by RudyB24
  • Like 1

Always have fun --0-- Flight Sim Navigation

2 hours ago, RudyB24 said:

I use the 30fps cap in the nVidia settings panel. In the MSFS settings I leave Vsync off. If I use the Vsync 30Hz inside MSFS (and not use the nVidia cap at the same time) then the graphics are somehow more 'stuttery', 

Vsync 30 in game is not 30hz,it’s half refresh rate - so 60fps on your C1.

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

Loving this FPS thread, it’s a long time since we had one 😀

if your system can handle it and frame times do not suffer then more than 30fps will look and feel better - up to a point.

I’m running vsync 20 most of the time, and 48fps looks great - occasionally though I’ll change to 72 or vsync 60, just depends on the flight, how I feel etc

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

Just upgraded from a gtx 1070 to a rtx 3080 ti (evga FTW3 Ultra).  Set everything to max settings except render scale at 150 and LOD 3/4.5.  Tried disabling in-game vsync, no thanks, obvious screen tearing present.  Tried in-game 60fps vsync enabled, no thanks, obvious stutters.  Tried in-game 30fps vsync enabled, smooooooth as can be.  But hey, this is me with my 60htz 2K IPS monitor (check my computer spec below).  If I'm leaving performance on the table I don't care, for MSFS looks and feels astounding where ever I fly, at any time of day and kind of cloud cover.  That's enough to justify the expense, but also I'm now looking towards upgrading to VR.

• Like 3

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

3 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Some people use their card for other games or software... there actually is a world beyond MSFS....

• Like 1

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

6 hours ago, ckyliu said:

The sooner this thread dies, the better. Please for the love of God can a moderator do us all a favour and put it out its misery and delete the whole sorry affair.

A poll with only one real option? Really? Talk about trolling!

It could be shut down now but for your agenda I'm afraid it's too late as it's already made clear many users find 30fps vsync'd is both fluid and stutter-free, and this is preferred by these responders for the added scenery complexity detail and processing headroom it affords.   That's all the poll looked it, very simple.  It's important to show this especially to others newer to the activity, lest they assume the obsession among some with 'frame rate' is what matters most when very clearly fluid and stutter-free w/ headroom to accommodate increasing visuals, addons and features as the sim matures is how many see it, and really especially those w/ less than the highest end systems.  Think of it as a public service poll.  That's all, no need to freak out.  Go fly the sim it's incredible!

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Agenda? What on Earth are you on about? I don't think there was ever any dispute that some users find 30 fps acceptable. But a poll with only one realistic option proves nothing other than a poor understanding of how polling works. Wait... you're dragging me in to this s**tshow... *runs away screaming* Also can't go fly the sim as I've now got anxiety about if I'm enjoying the framerate in the correct manner 🤦‍♂️

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 3

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

yes

Kind regards,

Tim

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (OC 4.7) CPU COOLER: Noctua nh-d15S GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti FTW2 8GB  SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB HDD: Seagate 500GB - Maxtor 250GB - WD 250GB RAM: Team Vulcan 16 GB MBD: Gigabyte Z370P D3
PSU: Evga 650w  OS: Win 10 Pro