Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

Asobo/MSFS need to fix the code base…

3 pages of people who don't have access to the code or would know how to interpret it, playing armchair software engineer 

• Like 8

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Further to my observation about never having had a problem with AMD GPUs for flight simming, for those into flight sims who think an AMD component is not a good idea for a flight sim, and particularly given that Asobo is developing a sim which is geared toward working on an XBox as well as a PC, it's probably worth noting that, with the exception of the very first XBox, which was released back in 2001 and which had an NVidia GForce 3 GPU in it, every subsequent XBox - including the current one - has had an AMD GPU. And, with the exception of the first two iterations, which had IBM/Intel CPUs, every subsequent XBox has also had an AMD CPU in it as well.

I do tend to prefer Intel CPUs though, having once had an AMD CPU which wasn't really to my liking. In the end, it's up to the person themselves which components they go with, but the idea that AMD stuff is not a good choice for flight simming or other high-end visual PC stuff, is utter nonsense, and it would seem to me from the above data, that at the very least, the publisher of MSFS would appear to concur with that.

Personally, I'm still fairly convinced that when people say there is a problem with some software running on their PC, the problem is invariably the peripheral which interfaces with the mouse and the keyboard.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

9 minutes ago, styckx said:

3 pages of people who don't have access to the code or would know how to interpret it, playing armchair software engineer 

Well four pages now!  :biggrin:  But that is like saying, 'if you have never run an Airline yourself, don't complain about how you are treated on the plane'. 

We can't all be experts, but some things are obvious, and when Asobo themselves say they need to fix the CTD's and regressions, are we to disagree with them? 
There is a list 'under investigation' in their own snapshots, and plenty of communication on the official forum about issues.  

Are these not issues with the 'code' then?  In your opinion, how do the regressions occur, out of interest?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

8 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Well four pages now!  :biggrin:  But that is like saying, 'if you have never run an Airline yourself, don't complain about how you are treated on the plane'. 

We can't all be experts, but some things are obvious, and when Asobo themselves say they need to fix the CTD's and regressions, are we to disagree with them? 
There is a list 'under investigation' in their own snapshots, and plenty of communication on the official forum about issues.  

Are these not issues with the 'code' then?  In your opinion, how do the regressions occur, out of interest?

With all do respect, There is a lot of pc configuration out there that were never stressed to the point MSFS does. Nothing like a flight simulation to show you the flaws on your configuration.  Personally I almost never have any CTD and the only time I had one , it was due to a mods. It doesn't mean there isn't some bug out there that cause CTD but I've flew 6 hour straight, not 1 crash. 

• Like 3

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

10 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Bobcat, love ya, you're a good poster. It's just tiring coming to this forum everyday and seeing what the daily new threads are and it's usually moaning, groaning, redundant topics. With the occasional great topic that regresses into  the same old "I'm the main character now" topic change 2 pages into the thread

I'm tired, grouchy, and overworked. Don't mind me. AVSIM will never change, it has a weird charm of it's own weird trends

• Like 2

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

When bugs get fixed, broken again, fixed again and then broken again…any software developer will tell you there is a problem with how the code base is being managed. And as a software developer for over 20 years, i have seen a lot of code and these type problems stem from problems in the way the code was written, managed, or both. 

I suspect a lot of these crashes are also related to moving core parts of the software into different threads. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

@fogboundturtle @styckx  Guys - sure, I get it. You are both good posters yourselves, but don't mind us, or let our discussion get you down. 
For wrong or right, it is just a few people trying to figure things out and work through the frustration.

All of us are here because we want the sim to get even better, we just have different ways of showing it maybe.  :smile:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

10 hours ago, Funky D said:

...to be fair, Nvidia cards have had their fair share of issues, mostly due to board partners cutting corners to try and meet MSRP targets

this is why I always buy the Founders Edition versions.  In my 'n of one' I've yet to have any issues ever for the 3 Nv cards I bought, and still own over 10y later!

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, fogboundturtle said:

With all do respect, There is a lot of pc configuration out there that were never stressed to the point MSFS does. Nothing like a flight simulation to show you the flaws on your configuration.

Umm, quite frankly P3D 4.5x stresses my hardware far more than MSFS ever has.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

6 minutes ago, Noel said:

Umm, quite frankly P3D 4.5x stresses my hardware far more than MSFS ever has.

Exactly. My GPU is using less than 3GB of VRAM and maybe 7 GB of RAM (out of 32). When these crashes occur my system isn't even under load. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

1 minute ago, RobJC said:

Exactly. My GPU is using less than 3GB of VRAM and maybe 7 GB of RAM (out of 32). When these crashes occur my system isn't even under load. 

Where the heck are you seeing only 3Gb of VRAM in use?  I do a mix of somewhat rural flying in the Citation L and the mimimum is maybe 5.8Gb, and when I'm in the 787-10 in somewhere like KLAX, KSEA I'll be seeing 10.5Gb.   This of course all happened w/ WU6 w/ its panning cache control.

Noel

5 minutes ago, Noel said:

Where the heck are you seeing only 3Gb of VRAM in use?  I do a mix of somewhat rural flying in the Citation L and the mimimum is maybe 5.8Gb, and when I'm in the 787-10 in somewhere like KLAX, KSEA I'll be seeing 10.5Gb.   This of course all happened w/ WU6 w/ its panning cache control.

I will take a screenshot. Pretty much everywhere I fly. 

1 hour ago, bobcat999 said:

@fogboundturtle @styckx  Guys - sure, I get it. You are both good posters yourselves, but don't mind us, or let our discussion get you down. 
For wrong or right, it is just a few people trying to figure things out and work through the frustration.

All of us are here because we want the sim to get even better, we just have different ways of showing it maybe.  :smile:

My point is that people jump to the conclusion really quick that it's Asobo's fault for the CTD when it often isn't. Bad mods are the #1 issue for CTD. Why am I able to fly in MSFS without every having CTD ? What is so different about my setup than anyone else ? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

2 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

Why am I able to fly in MSFS without every having CTD ? What is so different about my setup than anyone else ? 

Well if you could figure that out, and hold the answer for ransom...... 😃

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 hour ago, fogboundturtle said:

My point is that people jump to the conclusion really quick that it's Asobo's fault for the CTD when it often isn't. Bad mods are the #1 issue for CTD. Why am I able to fly in MSFS without every having CTD ? What is so different about my setup than anyone else ? 

Not running any mods.