Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

Asobo/MSFS need to fix the code base…

I have been a pretty big advocate for MSFS because i can clearly see the potential for this platform. But here we are a year out still fighting crashes, and serious bugs. Regarding crashes, half the flights i have attempted have ended in CTDs, and i no longer use my CH Yoke, TrackIR, add-ons, overclocking, config tweaks, NVIDIA Inspector, etc. I really can’t go any more “stock” than i am now, and i am still getting crashes. Throw in the update issues that many users are experiencing (it is 2021!) and i think it is time for Asobo and the MSFS team to rethink how the code base is being managed. The uncertainty of MSFS between updates is really hurting the franchise, tbh. 

The first thing i would do is analyze each bug to figure out how not to repeat it. Was the bug a regression that was fixed and then broken again? If so, why? Is there a problem merging branches? Are changes being hammered because someone committed a change without merging their changes first? Something related to the process of developing and managing this code base has gone wrong.  Best practices are not being followed. Lessons are not being learned. And a lot of MSFS customers are paying for it. 

The issues here go far beyond needing more testers, or having a larger/longer beta test. There are fundamental problems with how the code base is being managed. 

The technology looks great. Super smooth performance. But what difference does it make if half the flights end in crashes? 

• Like 9
  • Upvote 4

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

10 minutes ago, RobJC said:

I have been a pretty big advocate for MSFS because i can clearly see the potential for this platform. But here we are a year out still fighting crashes, and serious bugs. Regarding crashes, half the flights i have attempted have ended in CTDs, and i no longer use my CH Yoke, TrackIR, add-ons, overclocking, config tweaks, NVIDIA Inspector, etc. I really can’t go any more “stock” than i am now, and i am still getting crashes. Throw in the update issues that many users are experiencing (it is 2021!) and i think it is time for Asobo and the MSFS team to rethink how the code base is being managed. The uncertainty of MSFS between updates is really hurting the franchise, tbh. 

The first thing i would do is analyze each bug to figure out how not to repeat it. Was the bug a regression that was fixed and then broken again? If so, why? Is there a problem merging branches? Are changes being hammered because someone committed a change without merging their changes first? Something related to the process of developing and managing this code base has gone wrong.  Best practices are not being followed. Lessons are not being learned. And a lot of MSFS customers are paying for it. 

The issues here go far beyond needing more testers, or having a larger/longer beta test. There are fundamental problems with how the code base is being managed. 

The technology looks great. Super smooth performance. But what difference does it make if half the flights end in crashes? 

When I suffered crash after crash, I was told by just about everyone that there was something wrong with my brand new system. After months of this, I sent my PC to the company that made it and they replaced the AMD GPU with a Nvidia GPU, because I was getting many driver time outs with the AMD card, and a new PSU for the new GPU. Haven't had one crash in 5 months after getting my PC back. . 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 7

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

This is why I'm glad I went with an intel/NVIDIA setup for my most current build. I was so close at building an an all AMD system because of people telling me to go with AMD because it's better and all that noise. So glad I stuck with my instincts.

• Like 9

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

27 minutes ago, RobJC said:

The first thing i would do is analyze each bug to figure out how not to repeat it.

With all due respect... you are manufacturing a crisis here..  Many of us fly happily with MSFS on a daily basis.

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 25
  • Upvote 4

Bert

Can you guys PLEASE STOP SPREADING "FUD" regarding AMD products?

Fine it doesn't work for you .. It WORKS for others MYSELF included and as long as you people DID NOT build your systems yourself OR stress test all your components properly everything you all are posting is PURE CONJECTURE. Enough with the Fanboyism

Back to topic...

I think it would be best if there is something in the code that can identify what aspect of the sim is causing the CTD in a crash report. (Something a bit more understandable to the average person who does not know how to read the Windows event viewer.

Edited by Maxis
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

6 minutes ago, captain420 said:

This is why I'm glad I went with an intel/NVIDIA setup for my most current build. I was so close at building an an all AMD system because of people telling me to go with AMD because it's better and all that noise. So glad I stuck with my instincts.

The AMD CPUs are excellent, no problems, mine runs around 20% running MSFS.  The GPUs on the other hand , survey after survey, shows users have issues all the time, especially with drivers. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Not sure what sim you have been flying but after 1 year the sim has developed ten fold.  Yes there have been issues, yes there has been bugs and yep had my fair share of CTD however a project of this size and complexity should not be taken lightly. Has it been perfect in the first year?  Defo not but honestly I’m having so much fun with this sim  and can’t wait to see what year 2 has in store!

• Like 1

Thomas Derbyshire

THE GPUS ARE FINE BOB ...Especially the Current ones .. Enough !!!

• Like 4

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

Per my sig I have Intel/NVIDIA so that isn't the problem. My TrackIR is a great example. Had nothing but problems with MSFS. Crashed pretty often. Had it in my old PC used daily with F1 2021 and no issues. Never crashed once. My CH Yoke and Pedals work fine in XP 11 but had caused CTDs just plugging them in before launching MSFS. 

Something is not right here.  

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

3 minutes ago, RobJC said:

Per my sig I have Intel/NVIDIA so that isn't the problem. My TrackIR is a great example. Had nothing but problems with MSFS. Crashed pretty often. Had it in my old PC used daily with F1 2021 and no issues. Never crashed once. My CH Yoke and Pedals work fine in XP 11 but had caused CTDs just plugging them in before launching MSFS. 

Something is not right here.  

I had USB connection problems with my 12 year old Track IR. Replaced it, with a brand new Track IR which works much better, and no more problems. How old is your Track IR?

• Like 1

Well this is not a poll. It it was, there's always one guy who votes like...Stability Schmability! Who cares. CTD's are fun!

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

6 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I had USB connection problems with my 12 year old Track IR. Replaced it, with a brand new Track IR which works much better, and no more problems. How old is your Track IR?

It is the 4 version, but again, works flawlessly with F1 2021. MSFS is the only game/sim that ever had an issue with it. I game almost every day with it in F1 2021 and not one issue. Not really wanting to buy a new one just because MSFS doesn't like it. 

3 minutes ago, RobJC said:

It is the 4 version, but again, works flawlessly with F1 2021. MSFS is the only game/sim that ever had an issue with it. I game almost every day with it in F1 2021 and not one issue. Not really wanting to buy a new one just because MSFS doesn't like it. 

Version 4 sounds pretty old, not sure when it was sold. Track IR 5 came out in 2009. Try not using it and see what happens. 

Edited by Bobsk8

28 minutes ago, captain420 said:

I was so close at building an an all AMD system because of people telling me to go with AMD because it's better and all that noise.

By most accounts, AMD is very very good, and I have indeed been tempted to make an AMD build.

On the other hand, AMD systems apparently still tend to be more sensitive to memory timings, overclocking and etc, because they essentially handle some important internal processes differently to how an intel build approaches things, and most programs are still tilted a bit towards expecting Intel (And Nvidia)  behavior, unfortunately. (though that's slowly changing)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

12 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Which might have been the famous AMD usb issues which are, once again, something that is (slowly) fading away.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5