Sign in to follow this  
Amon1973

MSFS Sim update 6

3 hours ago, fppilot said:

So does it then seem that they have issues with the default installation location that they themselves defined?

It's not really an issue with anything relating to the installation location. It's actually that the packages are the same as the retail packages, and thus will overwrite your retail packages when installed into the same location. These will not be compatible with the present retail build, in parts.

The downloader could or course be eventually made "beta aware", but all that would amount to is automatically installing all the beta packages to a subfolder. So, it would not be any different than the user doing it.

Think of it this way: if you installed a preview version of Windows into literally the same folders, partially overwriting existing libraries, I don't think it would be a surprise when the non-preview version was no longer functional and broken.

-Matt

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, MattNischan said:

It's not really an issue with anything relating to the installation location. It's actually that the packages are the same as the retail packages, and thus will overwrite your retail packages when installed into the same location. These will not be compatible with the present retail build, in parts.

The downloader could or course be eventually made "beta aware", but all that would amount to is automatically installing all the beta packages to a subfolder. So, it would not be any different than the user doing it.

Think of it this way: if you installed a preview version of Windows into literally the same folders, partially overwriting existing libraries, I don't think it would be a surprise when the non-preview version was no longer functional and broken.

-Matt

For the purposes of Beta testing, I believe the best way to ACTUALLY test things is to test a completely vanilla setup - NO add-ons whatsoever. That's the way I did it. So, I don't see a huge problem in doing a separate install, wouldn't you WANT that? For all intents and purposes, if you sign up to do Beta testing, you should Beta test, not enjoy the sim with whatever add-ons you desire. So, I don't see keeping them separate to be an issue. 

58 minutes ago, BostonJeremy77 said:

For the purposes of Beta testing, I believe the best way to ACTUALLY test things is to test a completely vanilla setup - NO add-ons whatsoever. That's the way I did it. So, I don't see a huge problem in doing a separate install, wouldn't you WANT that? For all intents and purposes, if you sign up to do Beta testing, you should Beta test, not enjoy the sim with whatever add-ons you desire. So, I don't see keeping them separate to be an issue. 

So, what if we rename  the community folder? should it be a problem? ..and need to reinstall the sim? 
because in every official update, I empty the community folder for security reasons and never had a single issue. Because my sim is installed in a separate SSD than default I’m concerned for the beta testing so I don’t need to reinstall the sim

Edited by georgiosgiannoukos

4 hours ago, fppilot said:

And all of that is clear evidence that this product, MSFS 2020, was not a complete product at any time from release until now.  I feel like I purchased a used airplane where the previous owner did not divulge the true condition, and the technician who performed the most recent annual prior to my purchase was paid off!

I prefer true representation and genuine honesty to underhanded wink-winks!

It must be very painful to log so many hours on a sim of a Publisher and Development  Team you do not trust, respect or like. I am really sorry for you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

Mate,

I do not understand this sentiment LOL.

You quoted the wrong person 😉 

6 hours ago, turbomax said:

what are the alternatives?

Wait until release? The beta testing system is awful. 

3 hours ago, urthgental said:

It must be very painful to log so many hours on a sim of a Publisher and Development  Team you do not trust, respect or like. I am really sorry for you.

And they never let go. Whats up with that.? No one is forced to use this "faulty" product as some claim to be and  YET they are still here.

Edited by jbdbow1970
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

what are the alternatives?

I meant: what other simulator alternatives.

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

Can anyone tell me what we are expecting in SU6 and when it is expected to release?  Sorry if that's already in the thread - I haven't had chance to read through every post.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)