Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

So the consensus is SU6 was a good patch?

19 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

Is there a thread to vote on this bug?  I'm sure they will fix it in due time, if we upvote this topic and get their attention on it. 

I certainly have voted on it but I don't have a link to the thread I'm afraid; it's there somewhere!

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

18 hours ago, JRBarrett said:

There is some inconsistency here. At least three beta testers have posted in the main forum that Vatsim aircraft lighting definitely was fixed in SU6, and two other individuals have confirmed that it is working for them (on Vatsim) post-SU6. Others see no change. I don’t know if the server glitches yesterday might be having an effect. Server problems could certainly affect injected Live Traffic, but VATSIM is an independent network.

I was testing it yesterday (well after the server issues) with a friend parked next to me and we could not get lights to appear on his a/c. He was on P3D and could see my lights (me in MSFS) but we could not get his lights visible at all. So in terms of inconsistency, it may depend on what sims are in use and a load of other variables but my MSFS is pretty much vanilla and I have not seen lights on *any* aircraft since the problem appeared. BTW, it's been confirmed that it's not a Vatsim generated issue.

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

Clouds are still like a joke. When passing through clouds, they are pixelated as hell, before su 5 they are really good. What a shame! 

C. Uygar

Aircraft Maint. Engineer. at LTFJ

My point is no piece of software "knows" the system is being overclocked.

Technically it can. It's how software like CPU Z etc tell you all about your system and current clock speed (provided the hardware has the specs metadata embedded)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bdub22 said:

Hmmm. I flew over a field today at FL430 and the lights were hilariously visible, even at that altitude.

Interesting, what airport was that?  I checked out a number last night and the improvement was consistent for me.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

4 hours ago, spitzer45 said:

Clouds are still like a joke. When passing through clouds, they are pixelated as hell, before su 5 they are really good. What a shame! 

Do you mean pixelated or grainy?

Because I managed to remove the pixelation by upping the texture quality and other settings related to this. But they still look grainy, especially in the fringes of the clouds.

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

19 hours ago, Noel said:

I think I might just delete FlightSimulator.CFG and UserCfg.opt, then reset sliders.  Right now, w/o doing this, I find for every increase of LOD of 100, I see another 0.5Gb of VRAM being used.  Right now out of KBJC to KSHR in the Longitude everything's fine at Terrain LOD at 300, which took me from about 6.9Gb for Terrain LOD 200 to 7.4Gb VRAM at 300.

thanks Noel it take much more Vram now what gone happen 18nov Dx12.

dialed in the settings a want with a GPU usage from 82 isch to 99% to get the to less then85% a OC the gpu +100 and mem500 2150mhz boost all flight. went from 90 to less then 85% , the vram was topping at 14gb.

Short flight from Orbx ESSB-ESSV

Bob and Abrams_tank , Overclocking CPU and GPU not harm MSFS if you know what you do , as a hardware tester for 20years and beta testing even today.

Is anyone seeing more than a couple of other aircraft (AI or MP) when flying after SU6?  I think it is funny reading post after post comparing sim performance before and after the patch.  It is an apples to oranges comparison when pre-patch I was seeing dozens of other aircraft (could barely get a word in edgewise to ATC sometimes) and now I am lucky to see/hear one or two other aircraft.   Is this another one of Asobo's "optimizations" to "improve performance"?  

Edited by PlumCrazy
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

Do you mean pixelated or grainy?

Because I managed to remove the pixelation by upping the texture quality and other settings related to this. But they still look grainy, especially in the fringes of the clouds.

both of them, pixelated like a hell when passing through clouds.what texture settings?

C. Uygar

Aircraft Maint. Engineer. at LTFJ

5 hours ago, JDWalley said:

I've seen a number of people complaining about reduced performance with this update, while others are reporting no change.  Let me add this as another "data point."

What I have used in configuring the sim for my older system (i7-6700K/16 GB RAM/GTX 980) has always been a procedure recommended by the YouTube creator "Squirrel," which is to spawn with the A320 at EGLL gate 535, and use DevMode's frame counter to check for a consistent 30 FPS or better both inside and outside of the aircraft, under varying weather and time conditions, adjusting your graphics mode accordingly.

When MSFS first came out, I tried this test, and found I could get a steady 30 FPS in Medium mode.  Anything higher, and it would drop into the mid-20s or lower.

With SU5, I re-ran the test, and found that I could now raise the mode to High-End, and keep the same 30 FPS.  Ultra, however, still dropped the sim into the low 20s.  Anyway, I was happy with this improvement.

Hearing that SU6, while it might better use modern, high-end CPUs and GPUs (as if any of those are available for less than an arm and a leg nowadays!), results in a performance hit for those without, did not leave me very happy, particularly since my 980 only had 4GB VRAM.  So, I tried the test again, and was dismayed to find that setting in High-End mode was back down to 22-25 FPS.  I figured the improvement from SU5 was too good to last, and so reverted to Medium mode.  This time, however, the FPS only improved to around 27, still below the 30+ I had been able to get with the first release of the sim.  Now, I'm really not thrilled.  I continue experimenting with different times of day and different weather conditions, not because I'm expecting any to improve, but out of a perverse interest in seeing just how bad the new version will turn out to be in the worst possible conditions.  I probably keep this up for five minutes or more, when...all of a sudden, without my having done anything, the FPS counter suddenly jumps from 27 to a little over 40, and stays in that range.  I have no idea what caused it.  I try changing the conditions, PoV, etc, back and forth, and it stays at 40 or above no matter what.  I then reset the mode to High-End, and the FPS settles down to a consistent 33, equal or better than what I was getting in SU5.  I also try Ultra mode, and only get a drop to 27 FPS.  Although I want to set my options so I can be sure of getting at least 30, I suspect I could probably handle Ultra mode without any problem in GA aircraft from smaller airports.

At any rate, as I said before, this is simply another data point.  I have no idea why the apparent performance hit suddenly resolved itself after a period of time, but, if you're basing your experience of lower FPS on a reading from an immediate first flight, you might want to check it again after flying around for awhile.

Interesting!

There is something weird going on, that's for sure. When I first loaded up the sim after SU6, I was getting a 20-30% hit in performance, and quite a few stutters. I was dismayed. 

Then someone suggested deleting Rolling Cache and rebuilding it, which I did. At the same time I set everything to Ultra, clicked Apply. Then I adjusted a few things down like I have in the past. LOD up to 400 / 200. 

And voila - sim ran beautifully again. 😄

If we only could nail down what the issue is, we could help others with the same problems, and also help Asobo figure it out so that everyone gets the good performance without that much tinkering.

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S

4 hours ago, spitzer45 said:

This is true. Since the last 2 updates the clouds have degraded. A fuzzy feel to them along with pixilation. 

When it comes to clouds I feel the current champion is now DCS. 

15 minutes ago, PlumCrazy said:

Is anyone seeing more than a couple of other aircraft (AI or MP) when flying after SU6?  I think it is funny reading post after post comparing sim performance before and after the patch.  It is an apples to oranges comparison when pre-patch I was seeing dozens of other aircraft (could barely get a word in edgewise to ATC sometimes) and now I am lucky to see/hear one or two other aircraft.   Is this another one of Asobo's "optimizations" to "improve performance"?  

^^^^^^ This. When a feature with the potential to have a massive impact on sim performance (live traffic) is out of commission (at least for me), evaluating this patch is impossible. 

Edited by odourboy
  • Like 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

9 minutes ago, spitzer45 said:

both of them, pixelated like a hell when passing through clouds.what texture settings?

These are my settings:
Volumetric Clouds Ultra
Texture Resolution Ultra
Texture SuperSampling 6x6
Texture Synthesis Ultra

If that doesn't fix it, try also
Shadow Maps 2048
Contact Shadows Ultra

8y1fYjG.jpg

Holy Batsheet!  I did go ahead and delete UserCfg.opt and FlightSimulator.CFG, reset everything back to Ultra 8xSSAA, 16xAA, LOD-T 300, LOD-O 200, RS 130, and the big spike in VRAM use appeared to have disappeared back to pre SU6 levels as this is about what I've seen in this setting previously, KDEN.  Plus, OMG, the thing is spectacularly beautiful, better than ever by a BIG MARGIN!  I am so stoked w/ AI and night lighting it's just fabulous!!!!!!!!!  GPU use is where it should be as well:

spacer.png

Well, may not be the case after all.  Up at FL400 I'm seeing VRAM at 8.3Gb over the CO Rockies which seems up from previously, but all good!

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

37 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

Interesting!

There is something weird going on, that's for sure. When I first loaded up the sim after SU6, I was getting a 20-30% hit in performance, and quite a few stutters. I was dismayed. 

Then someone suggested deleting Rolling Cache and rebuilding it, which I did. At the same time I set everything to Ultra, clicked Apply. Then I adjusted a few things down like I have in the past. LOD up to 400 / 200. 

And voila - sim ran beautifully again. 😄

If we only could nail down what the issue is, we could help others with the same problems, and also help Asobo figure it out so that everyone gets the good performance without that much tinkering.

To be honest, it's most likely the rolling cache that made the difference, to remove data that might now be incompatible and start afresh. Would have been interesting to see if only doing that and not touching other settings had the same effect.