Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

So the consensus is SU6 was a good patch?

12 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

Maybe you should post your system specs?  In general, if your system is within the specified requirements (preferably medium requirements) and you don't overclock any of your hardware, and you are using a fresh installation of Windows with the latest drivers for your hardware, MSFS should be pretty stable on your system.

Since you have an IT background, the typical method of troubleshooting in IT is to simplify the problem and eliminate complexities.  First and foremost, if you are overclocking your hardware, stop overclocking it because MSFS does not mix well with overclocked hardware.  MSFS pushes the limit of the hardware on your computer and many people CTD because they overclocked their hardware.

If you didn't overclock anything in your hardware, disconnect all peripherals except for your mouse and keyboard.  Then remove everything from your Community folder.  Also uninstall/delete any purchases you made in the MSFS marketplace.  Add-ons, whether it's an add-on from the MSFS marketplace or an add-on in your Community folder, can cause MSFS to CTD.  Run MSFS in safe mode and try to fly with just your mouse and keyboard (yes, you can fly with just your mouse and keyboard).  See if MSFS is stable with just your mouse and keyboard.

A lot of things can cause MSFS to CTD: overclocked hardware, add-ons (Community folder or MSFS marketplace), and peripherals (a lot of joysticks cause MSFS to CTD).  You want to eliminate every possibility and simplify everything for MSFS so that you can isolate and pinpoint the problem.

If you do all this and MSFS is still not stable, then either you have a corrupt installation of MSFS, or there is a problem with your hardware.  In general, assuming your hardware isn't overclocked and you are using a fresh installation of Windows and a fresh installation of MSFS, and you are just using your keyboard and mouse with no other peripherals, MSFS should be stable.

Thanks for the in depth reply.  I have already posted my specs a couple of times (not sure if on this thread).  In short

Chip - Intel I7 8700

memory 16320 mb DDR4 sdram

graphics GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

Hard drive for prog:  4TD WD Black

No over clocking (can't take the heat).  The computer is admittedly 3 years old, but custom built by Scan (3XS) in England.

3 minutes ago, liamp51 said:

Sounds like we might be having the same problem. Does it load to 100% and then hang forever? 

Sounds like you are having my problem.  Try loading a flight - and "FREEZE" followed by CTRL-ALT-DEL

3 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

If I had a nickle for everytime I read of some simmer installing the latest drivers ( mainly GPU) and having problems after that, and having to roll back to previous driver, I could have retired earlier. 

You could well be correct.  I will roll back and give it a try.

48 minutes ago, crazydog said:

Interested to hear why you think so.

Because

1.. If you know exactly what drivers should be updated and where to get it you don't need another layer of software to do it for you. You go to the verified  source get it .. evaluate and install as required. 

2. Not all drivers are supposed to be updated as soon as its released for various performance and compatibility reasons (Prime example .. GPU drivers)

3. If drivers are all updated in one fell swoop its going to be a bit difficult to troubleshoot something that is now broke and not working if some "driver updating program" performed said updates in batch.

4. Data Privacy and Security concerns.. This software is completely open source and free or is it "free"?

5. How much of your resources is this thing taking up that could be used elsewhere .. especially if it is a startup app? (Ram/bandwidth)

Just off the top of my head a few concerns.. 

Edited by Maxis
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Viotek 3440x1440p Freesync / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

14 minutes ago, crazydog said:

Thanks for the in depth reply.  I have already posted my specs a couple of times (not sure if on this thread).  In short

Chip - Intel I7 8700

No over clocking (can't take the heat).  The computer is admittedly 3 years old, but custom built by Scan (3XS) in England.

Just MHO but - 

Typically driver boosters and system cleaners create more trouble than they are worth

Your system *should* run MSFS acceptably with low settings

Your video card with just 3G VRAM is a major slowdown. If your settings are too high and require more ram, the system will try to use slow system ram or disk io to accomplish task - net result is a slowdown or possible system hang.

All that said, your system should do ok with modest settings.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

7 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

It seems there was a brief hiccup yesterday with the servers being offline.  The servers are online again today.  And there was an issue with live traffic after SU6 yesterday but it seems to be fixed today?

Anyways, I'm checking here at AVSIM and also at the official MSFS forums at forums.flightsimulator.com and the consensus is, most people are happy with this patch.  Some people are even saying this is the best state that MSFS has ever been in, especially after all the fixes Asobo made.  Most of the patch was actually fixes it seems, so MSFS should be more stable and the overall quality of life should have improved in MSFS.

So what do you think about SU6?  Has MSFS reached a new level and this is the best that MSFS has ever been in?

Well I exercised some rare patience and waited until 13:00 hrs to download latest patch. It payed off because for once the whole download process went without a hitch. Also my internet speed is only around 25mps so it took just over an hour to complete both download and other updates.

My first flight was from EICK to EGPH in one of my favourites The Cessna Longitude. I used the stock model with WT G3000. All went well except I noticed warning lights and parking brake noise couldn't be turned off. I note that others have experienced these problems. On a later flight I used Dakflys longitude mod and all behaved as normal.

My overall impressions are that this latest release is one of the best to date. Flying into Cork towards the West at around 18:00 the sunlight and lights from the city and airport where stunning. I'm so far a very happy pilot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crazydog said:

Interested to hear why you think so.

Because it sounds like you installed a bunch of problematic stuff that might cause the problems you are having. I don't know what you do to clean your system, but if it's running a program that "speeds up your system".. well, then please don't do that. They will hurt you more than help. Same thing goes for "Advanced System Care", whatever that may be.

• Like 2

I have used this program for years.  All it does is ensures that the latest core drivers are up to date by automatically downloading, testing and installing in the background.  It has a near 100% rating from both PCMag and TechRadar.  Indeed, MSFS itself recommends that you ensure that your core computer hardware drivers are up to date.  Out of date drivers are sure to cause computer gaming problems, not the reverse.

Except, for example, when an NVIDIA driver caused problems, some months back, which I experienced too, and the recommendation was to roll back to a previous version, which indeed fixed the issue.

I think there are many things to explore. Abrams Tank gave very sensible troubleshooting recommendations above. I think, with your issue, everything is worth considering and trying.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Republic3D said:

After I turn off the Battery switch, the "end of flight" menu thing pops up (I thought they were supposed to remove that). 

This is scheduled for SU7 now. I hope they keep to this, the logbook popping is indeed annoying.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Chip - Intel I7 8700

Your graphics card with only 3 GB of VRAM is probably close to the lower end of the specs for MSFS.  Try turning down all your graphics to the lowest settings and see if you can start a flight and if it's stable. If your flight is stable on the lowest graphics settings, you can gradually raise the graphics until you get the freezing problems again.

I will say there was a problem with SU5 where some 3rd party sceneries cause the loading screen to freeze.  I'm not sure if that problem is related to what you are experiencing because typically, the loading screen would freeze before it got to 100%.  But this was related to 3rd party sceneries and whatever code changes were made in SU5.

And I don't know why you are running "Iobit driver Booster."  That is a big red flag.  You should be getting the drivers directly from the manufacturer's website.  Don't rely on "Iobit driver Booster" to do this for you because you don't know exactly which driver they get, or whether they are getting the right version.  For all you know, it could be getting a driver that is incompatible with your hardware but this is all under the cover so you will never know if it got the wrong driver for your hardware.

I don't use "Iobit driver Booster" and MSFS is stable for me (my CPU is stable too).  I get my drivers directly from the manufacturer's website and I double check to make sure I get the right driver when I download it.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

2 hours ago, crazydog said:

All my drivers are kept up to the latest using Iobit driver Booster, my system is cleaned and optimised Advanced System Care. 

As others have noted, some of these "maintenance services" can have opposite effect. Iobit (which makes Driver Booster and Advanced System Care) has a bad reputation, with questionable business practices and system processes.

They were also caught trying to steal MalwareByte's database, which doesn't bode well:

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/156729-is-advanced-system-care-malicious-in-anyway/

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DylanM said:

As others have noted, some of these "maintenance services" can have opposite effect. Iobit (which makes Driver Booster and Advanced System Care) has a bad reputation, with questionable business practices and system processes.

They were also caught trying to steal MalwareByte's database, which doesn't bode well:

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/156729-is-advanced-system-care-malicious-in-anyway/

Same with CC Cleaner and antivirus programs. They do more harm to your system than good. Please research what you install on your machine before using it.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Seems to remember my selected airports on the World Map now.  Kewl

Also Sim starts quickly.

bs

Edited by bean_sprout

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

Only one flight under my belt since the last patch (about 400NM in the WT CJ4). Flawless. Really good performance and great looks. Happy camper. Granted, only one flight is nothing. But balancing work, kids, photography and BJJ leaves little time for simming... :blink:

• Like 3

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Trim and input sensitivity seems to be much improved as well - so much better.

• Like 2