Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

So the consensus is SU6 was a good patch?

1 minute ago, Republic3D said:

You could be right about that, but there's something that has changed when it comes to GPU usage as well. 

Before this SU6 update my GPU would run at 100% even when in the menus (with hangar in background). Now its 60%. That's not bad in itself, it's an improvement. 
But I see the same thing in game. When flying. GPU usage significantly down. 🤔

Around Paris area i had many times 95% to 100% GPU usage with 3090. And yes great improvement  in Menu area, at last GPU now stays at 40% usage and not at 90s%

• Like 2

Intel Core i9-13900K | ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING OC 24GB | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | DDR5 64GB 6000-30 Trident Z5 RGB | Corsair ICUE H170i Elite Capellix RGB | Corsair 7000D Airflow ASUS ROG Thor Platinum II 1200 Watt | Samsung SSD 990 Pro NVMe M.2 2TB & 1TB | Alienware AW3423DW | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 27" Gaming Monitor | VKB-Sim Gladiator Mk.II | Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant Airbus Edition

8 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

You could be right about that, but there's something that has changed when it comes to GPU usage as well. 

Before this SU6 update my GPU would run at 100% even when in the menus (with hangar in background). Now its 60%. That's not bad in itself, it's an improvement. 
But I see the same thing in game. When flying. GPU usage significantly down. 🤔

Perhaps limited by thread performance with SU6?  Not pushing enough frames to the GPU?  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pobee10 said:

Perhaps limited by thread performance with SU6?  Not pushing enough frames to the GPU?  

Could be. When flying around Manhattan the CPU was going at full tilt, but that's as expected. 

• Like 1

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

If you were to turn on developer mode you will see that anyone who is reporting decreased gpu  utilization usually means the sim flipped to limited by main thread.

I don't mind for now .. the moment the 3dCache 5900x or whatever its called comes out ill be upgrading no question. Or may switch to Alder Lake if its compelling enough.

For me its good to see that they are allowing higher end systems to be pushed. People will just have to adjust the sliders to their needs and be done with it. Higher end systems got kneecapped earlier on.. Now its their turn to get some attention. 

Did 1 test flight so far. Sim looked awesome and didn't appear to have any major bugs that i could see. But i definitely was wowed by the improved visuals. I also noticed the higher Vram usage but for me personally i'm not worried about that.. those improved visuals have a cost. I'm prepared to deal with it ... for now.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

6 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

Could be. When flying around Manhattan the CPU was going at full tilt, but that's as expected. 

Saw that too (and I have the same CPU as you). I am running Win 11 and am hoping the AMD patches from MS in the next day or so will fix the L3 cache and scheduling issues for a bit more of a bump in performance.

• Like 1

I couldn’t be happier with this update. I think they really listened and figured out what went wrong with SU5. I have a beefy system and appreciate that I can use it to its full potential now. Thanks Asobo! 

• Like 3

Can someone please tell me where I can find "Have you cleared your rolling / static cache"?

Thank You

Bill McCracken

Dont know yet.  For the first time ever in the series I am unable to update (Steam install), message state '... must connect to internet', which I was.

Will try again in a few days.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

2 minutes ago, macpilot said:

Can someone please tell me where I can find "Have you cleared your rolling / static cache"?

Thank You

Bill McCracken

Under General Options, click Data tab, scroll almost to the bottom. There's your rolling cache. You can delete it, which will turn it off. When you turn it on again it needs to rebuild which can take a few minutes depending on the size. I use 12 GB.

• Like 2

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S

3 minutes ago, Bdub22 said:

I couldn’t be happier with this update. I think they really listened and figured out what went wrong with SU5. I have a beefy system and appreciate that I can use it to its full potential now. Thanks Asobo! 

They of course knew all along what was wrong w/ SU5 after all they built it, flew it far more than anyone here did well before anyone here did--that was primarily the Xbox release with PC users dragged along kicking and screaming, and with full plans to take it to where it is today and where it will be tomorrow.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

4 minutes ago, Mike S KPDX said:

Dont know yet.  For the first time ever in the series I am unable to update (Steam install), message state '... must connect to internet', which I was.

Will try again in a few days.

Gee, I thought Steam was the solution to all install and update woes.  Oh well, another internet rumor bites the dust...

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, Nemo said:

Vancouver city: https://flightsim.to/file/17408/vancouver

and thanks, I wasn't aware that CYVR has also the downtown seaplane airport included. I have to check this.

Thanks for letting me know about Vancouver city.

Yes, FSimStudios modeled the two seaplane airports if you purchase their CYVR:

60487df1fbe980f0f217a069_23-p-1600.png

60487df1007da9561c886ec6_27-p-1600.png

• Like 3

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

I've noticed one bug so far:

After I turn off the Battery switch, the "end of flight" menu thing pops up (I thought they were supposed to remove that). But when I click Continue, another cockpit suddenly spawns so I have Z fighting between the two cockpits. Changing camera to outside and back seems to fix it.

FrBZ7Cp.jpg

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Sounds like you may have a PC problem. 

Nothing has changed in the past three months though.  All my drivers are kept up to the latest using Iobit driver Booster, my system is cleaned and optimised Advanced System Care.  As a long time IT user, I do am fairly well versed with both software and hardware, and am generally aware when things are up.  No other program on my system is having problems, nor any attached devices.  Given the number of users of MSFS on Steam who have flagged the simulator thumbs down (26% of the 20,000+ reviews), there does seem to be problems - and a quick read shows a good quantity to be users who simply can't get the simulator to run.  I agree that this forum shows most people to be okay - but there are definitely problems that affect some users.

6 minutes ago, crazydog said:

Given the number of users of MSFS on Steam who have flagged the simulator thumbs down (26% of the 20,000+ reviews), there

Maybe they discovered that they don't like flight simulation.

bs

• Like 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER