Sign in to follow this  
Rudiii

Abrupt Weather Changes?

Me too. In fact I was on wheels-down final approach to 28L at KPDX. It was all weathery. Rain and 5SM visibility. Perfect. I looked at the Weather radar on the FBWA320. It was all splotchy with yellow and red. Perfect. Suddenly at about 4 miles to touchdown, the gauge's weather radar blips and completely changes. No more splotchy red and yellow. Clear ahead with a big swath of yellow to the way to the north. No more rain. The METAR reading for the area unchanged. I don't mind changing weather, but that is that how that supposed to work?

United001

Windows 10 Pro, version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processors; Mobo: Z390 Phatom Gaming 4S-IB: Physical Memory: 16Gigs; GPU: NVIDIA GeForce FTX 2080 Super, 8 Gigs; 500Gigs Hard-Drive; 1TB SSD; 1TB SSD; 50" Samsung 4K Flat-screen monitor; 26" LG side-car monitor. Saitek Yoke and Throttle. Saitek Rudder Pedals.
Screen Resolution: Full Screen: 1920X1080 Full and Windowed modes. 

I have only done one flight on SU7 and it was last night real-time so it was dark so obviously did not notice any transitions but will try a daytime flight later today.  I hope this is not true as I have always thought their WX system was brilliant.  I think all that is needed is to be able to get a correct in-sim 'Metar' for the current sim-generated WX at the airport.  Real-world Metar based is not the way to go IMO....let the sim generate its interpretation of the WX, Who cares if it isn't exactly right??  Not sure why this matters to some if you can at least be able to fetch this WX in the sim..  Metars can be an hour old anyway and extremely local when it comes to visibility/fog.  The airport I trained at IRL was on the water and some mornings you would have only the airport covered by a thin fog layer....sometimes only half the runway!  Airport would report 1/4 mile visibility and a mile away it was severe clear.  Really not sure how a Metar-based system would handle that or know how far out the fog exists....

Edited by Flic1
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 5

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

7 minutes ago, WestAir said:

Weather popping is here to stay, because the alternative is inaccurate ATIS reports.

I would be careful with such sweeping statements, just one day after the new system was introduced.

They said time and time again, that they weather the most important aspect of the environment and that they are continuously working to make it better.

I know we users have the tendency to want everything perfect yesterday. But often that is not how this works. If the issue survives the next 3 weather improvement phases, then I'd start to worry.

But not at this point.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, mwilk said:

This may be a case of, "Be careful what you wish for, you might get it."

Ugh. I didnt wish for anything, Live Weather seemed to be working great lately with accurate temperatures and winds aloft. Never noticed any abrupt transitions either (unlike using the Unrealwx mod). Abrupt transitions kill the immersion for me.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Farlis said:

I would be careful with such sweeping statements, just one day after the new system was introduced.

They said time and time again, that they weather the most important aspect of the environment and that they are continuously working to make it better.

I know we users have the tendency to want everything perfect yesterday. But often that is not how this works. If the issue survives the next 3 weather improvement phases, then I'd start to worry.

But not at this point.

As Jorg kept saying "we are 1.5 years into a 10 year journey" so yes I'm still optimistic that improvements will come in time.

I just hope they see this as an imperfection as opposed to something simmers would put up with.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Currently circumnavigating the world in a mix of Cessna and Piper aircraft. 

My Default Setup; MSFS, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster Hotas X, TrackIR, Samsung Galaxy Tab, JustFlight Piper Arrow. Simworks Quest Kodiak 100. 

Wishlist; Honeycomb Bravo, Honeycomb Charlie.

1:400 Airline Model Collector.

11 minutes ago, NightOfDreams said:

(unlike using the Unrealwx mod). Abrupt transitions kill the immersion for me.

At least with UnrealWX you could at least fine tune the timings so the transitions weren't too jarring.  I had it dialed in nicely so it wasn't immersion killing most of the time.     Now Unreal is broken so were forced to use the new system and there's no tweakability. I find the transitions way more harsh than UWX.

They should have at least left us with the option of the old injection method or the new Metar based system.  Being forced to use the new system has really rubbed me up the wrong way

• Like 3

I was taking off somewhere in Vancouver. I loaded up and everything was green and clear. I waited a minute or two. Then I started to take off. I got almost in the air when the weather changed to snow on the ground and heavy clouds. So it seems there was a pretty long delay before the weather loaded, and I wasn't expecting to go from green grass to snow covered land dynamically. Was this implemented? I do not have any season mods installed. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

40 minutes ago, Farlis said:

A fair rebuttal. I can't see the future and have no clue if we're stuck with the METAR system for good. My post was pure cynicism, which isn't necessarily helpful.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

21 minutes ago, RobJC said:

I wasn't expecting to go from green grass to snow covered land dynamically. Was this implemented? I do not have any season mods installed. 

Snow coverage was added last December.

It's supposedly based off the Meteoblue snow coverage map, but there have been reports of it showing up where it shouldn't be right now.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1

I'm hopeful that this new mixed system will be fine-tuned with time, but I'm 100% with everyone who sees these teething pains as coming from a solution to a non-problem. The predicted weather was all I really needed. Truthfully, I've never fully understood this kamikaze fixation with real-world METARs as the only "realistic" weather. What we had before SU7 was easily the best weather system ever in a sim.

Of course, in theory a system that actually seamlessly blends predicted and METAR weather would be the best of both worlds. But how long is it going to take to get there?

James

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Rudiii said:

I really do hope they can iron out the abrupt changes specifically.

I think you can safely conclude of course they will.  Using local metars and integrating w/ what is used between those is their challenge to solve and guaranteed they will in due time and I would predict sooner than later.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Hi,

I have flown several times with Metar injection weather.

Every flight that is cloudy the clouds appear to be very low. Don't you think? Anyone has experienced the same?

Regards.

I absolutely loved the previous weather depiction, and lately, it seemed to be fairly accurate to real world conditions…close enough for me at least.

I’ve only taken a couple of test flights since SU7, but the weather just didn’t look right to me (though I didn’t notice abrupt transitions).  I didn’t get the overcast layer as the METAR indicated, just a lot of big towering clouds with gaps between them.  The old system would show overcast layers/storm fronts very well.

I personally think having the system generate realistic weather formations based on forecast models is better than weather generated on the fly from METARs…hopefully they will continue to work on how the information is translated to the sim.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ktd544002 said:

hopefully they will continue to work on how the information is translated to the sim

You can count on it.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Looks like I'll be filing IFR from now on since I might end up flying from clear sky to sudden dense fog to snow to clear sky to lightning to hurricane to clear sky. Who knows????

Good thing I spent 4 hours yesterday downloading the downgrade for this Oops I mean "upgrade"

Edited by NightOfDreams