Sign in to follow this  
MrFuzzy

Asobo's silence on the weather mess

The weather btw is not the only problem coming with this sloppy update. I had to lower my LOD at 125 that I had put at 175  after SU5/SU6, to get rid of  most of the stutters. There was some de-optimizing of the sim or so it seems at my end...

I will not interpret too much the silence at this time. But I surmise that there are some tense conversations over the Atlantic 🤣 as they have a PR problem on theirs hands on  the same scale than SU5. It is of course denied by the same folks who were entirely happy with SU5 ,  you can trust them. Not 😇.

• Like 3

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

44 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

I had to lower my LOD at 125 that I had put at 175  after SU5/SU6, to get rid of  most of the stutters. There was some de-optimizing of the sim or so it seems at my end...

T-LOD at 220 allowed me to fly into nearly any airport and remain able to sustain solid 30fps/vsync.  It's still the case now.  Perhaps there are some hardware differences as to why you needed to drop down that much and I didn't, hard to say.

On second thought it may be the case here as well--just landed at FT's KLAS and see the main thread is struggling at 200/200 LOD, whereas previously it was quite solid.  But alas, Time of Day and weather aren't the same as a previous landing so hard to say for sure.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Umm, but Fuzzy just said,

And wow, this poor deluded soul says, 

Here's why Asobo KNOWS it doesn't really matter if things aren't perfect right now:  ask yourself this very relevant question:  are you still flying?  I know some aren't, I guess the few VR users for now and my guess is a few of those went back to a screen for now, and a few really went off the deep end and uninstalled MSFS and went back to P3D :laugh: and I know I am still flying in fact just as much as I was the day before SU7 released.  Why haven't me and I'm guessing the vast majority of others just taken a holiday from MSFS?  Simply this:  because it's still 99.9% functional, even with its misaligned click spots, some oddities in cloud rendering, and unrefined METAR integration....but it still delivers excellent flying experiences and I'm having yet another right now, as you probably are as well.

This.

I know its not going to happen - but I would love to go back to pre su7 weather - at least then you could look at the map and getting better sense of the precipitation that was going to appear at the airport.   Now despite whatever it says in metar its completely random as to what will actually appear rain/snow wise.    I have yet to fly into somewhere where metar is reporting solid rain/snow and end up with anything other then a few flakes or its not raining at all..

Edited by marcg11

Just adding there is a post an hour ago in the official MSFS forums that they are aware and are working on it.    However they were clear that there is no promise as to when any adjustments will be made.   I guess it seems it will be hot fixed....but its not guaranteed.  

15 minutes ago, marcg11 said:

Just adding there is a post an hour ago in the official MSFS forums that they are aware and are working on it.    However they were clear that there is no promise as to when any adjustments will be made.   I guess it seems it will be hot fixed....but its not guaranteed.  

Link?

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

The issue is quality control and the update strategy Microsoft seem to follow. It's correct that what they envision this simulator to be isn't happening overnight and needs continuous work. There is nothing wrong with that. But when you have forced updates that customers need to install in order to be able to use the program, you cannot repeatedly introduce more bugs than in previous versions and break things that were working well before. People have paid 60+ bucks for the product, so I believe a certain degree of entitlement is justified. That is, receiving updates that enhance the program or at the very least retain the level of quality from the previous version. It's completely understandable if people get grumpy when things break and other things are released in an early WIP state that come with inherent limitations compared to before, considering this has happened multiple times now and appears to be the norm in the update process.

I have played a lot of other games over the years and I don't recall ever running into a scenario after a forced update in which functionality had been broken and more bugs introduced to things working fine before. There is absolutely a way to make sure that new updates aren't constantly becoming a quality issue. We're talking about Microsoft and Asobo here so it's not a question of availability of resources or lack of expertise. I believe it's justified to ask why MS/Asobo can't seem to get this right and I'd bet the answer is somewhere along the lines of the bean counters pushing for unrealistic deadlines with the quality of the product taking the back seat. There are issues with this latest update (and updates before this one) that are way too glaring to be missed by the developer working on the product every day. Calling this out has nothing to do with exaggerated entitlement.

As an example, why not keep the METAR weather system internal for some time longer until it's more fleshed out or give customers the choice of beta testing the feature with the ability to turn back to the previous implementation as with DX12. Prematurely releasing updates downgrading the overall quality of the product does nothing other than generate bad publicity and put pressure on the developers.

• Like 5

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

3 hours ago, Noel said:

Here's why Asobo KNOWS it doesn't really matter if things aren't perfect right now:  ask yourself this very relevant question:  are you still flying?  I know some aren't,

I'm not flying right now and don't plan on it until some of the things that were broke are fixed.

I'm part of the Track IR minority some speak of (the same way some speak of VR users being minority, etc.) that has always flown with TrackIR in MSFS, FSX and started in FS9. The workarounds only half fix it. To me flying without it would feel the same as you or others having to fly with only a keyboard because they broke joysticks and yokes.

I might could work around the problem until the next update, but then add on controls getting reset to easy randomly every other flight and some of the other issues and I decided it's not worth it. It's more frustration than joy at the moment, so I'm taking a break.

The problem for MSFS is not that a small portion of users with frustrations might stop playing for a while. It's that they will lose sales while they took a break. Add to that for some the longer they stop using MSFS, the more likely they are to move on to some other game and not to come back.

MSFS needs to take big bugs with updates seriously and work hard to quickly patch and fix them or they risk losing people. People they need to fund them throughout development, buying stuff on the marketplace, DLC like Reno, Helicopters, etc.

• Like 2

James

5 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

How many simmers use VR? You can still plug in a joystick and a mouse, can you not? It's an inconvenience.

See the difference between you and us entitled kids?

We may not use VR, TrackIR and the default A320 Neo but we do not pollute the threads of those who complain about their issues.

Oh, how I wish they pushed an update that makes your old potato with 8 GB of RAM useless 🙂 You would taste some of your own medicine.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

32 minutes ago, Phantoms said:

It's that they will lose sales while they took a break.

I think MS has a very clear picture of the usage of MSFS at any given time (just think of the disclosure in one of the recent Q&A’s that they have data for every CTD happening) and thus is aware what bug is causing how much reduction in usage of the sim.
That doesn’t stop me from using my “customer-powers”, but I fear the relatively few people caring for the actual bugs don’t have much impact on the business as a whole.

• Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

44 minutes ago, Phantoms said:

I'm not flying right now and don't plan on it until some of the things that were broke are fixed.

Yes you're one of the 'some aren't' I referred to.  My guess is the vast majority still are flying, coping w/ the current set of deficits, awaiting resolutions, which will most certainly come hopefully sooner than later. I think if MS/A were really concerned about loss of loyalty they would not be as loose w/ Sim Updates, and my rationale for why they aren't is just that--the vast majority are still flying, even today.  I believe Tom_L is absolutely correct when he says MS has a very clear picture of usage changes and is not shaking in their boots for fear people will leave MSFS in any substantial numbers.  This would be backed up internally because they also have a clear picture of their mission goals, resource allocation, and also KNOW they will resolve these issues on their own time schedule.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

44 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

Oh, how I wish they pushed an update that makes your old potato with 8 GB of RAM useless 🙂 You would taste some of your own medicine.

This old potato is doing just fine, thank you very much. 🙂

eTPg7s2.png

Here is da old potato at work:

Edited by Ricardo41

17 hours ago, fppilot said:

OK. Nice coincidence.  I had flown from Hilton Head (KHXD) to Nassau (MYNN) back on the 24th  and despite clear weather in the reports that day, I was plagued with the dreaded haze and low clouds and literally never saw the ocean or islands. 

Today however, I flew back from Nassau to Hilton Head and the weather was much better, pretty spot on with reports.  Screen shots validate it.  Totally different than my experience last Wednesday and prior back to SU7.  Totally different!

That was yesterday. Sunday.  Today I completed a 3:30 flight from Hilton Head to Bloomington, Indiana, and must say the weather and winds aloft for the flight were pretty much spot on.  Even around Greenville, SC, and Asheville, NC, it was spot on where reported visibility was reported as 3 miles (see first image below). 

The only anomaly was again significantly overdone ground level haze at my Bloomington (KBMG) destination where the metar was Clear and 10 SM visibility.  The second image below is from 4 miles out on that approach and I could not yet spot the airport, which I am most familiar with.

image.png.696b981e2ed1ad27bfed9c75063a86b0.png

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, MrFuzzy said:

Oh, how I wish they pushed an update that makes your old potato with 8 GB of RAM useless 🙂 You would taste some of   your own medicine.

What a hateful thing to wish on anyone let alone someone not nearly as endowed in the hardware dept as you are clearly fortunate to be.  Ricardo's 'medicine' is really just being positive and keeping things in perspective, adapting to these temporary troubles thru creative work arounds until the core issues are resolved.  I know, you'd rather he get very bummed so he could join you in your constant litany about the shortcomings of the people who brought us MSFS.

• Like 5

Noel