Sign in to follow this  
V1ROTA7E

Kodiak Review Thread

I don't know what the real story is here, but this issue is under discussion by the Kodiak developer and others on the SWS Discord general-chat channel, so anyone interested can read for themself where some of the comments reported above originated from.

I'm more interested in whether or not there is a flight model issue than the personal bickering back and forth. My initial impression of the developer, based on his approach to the condition lever issue, is if he and his flight model testers (type-rated pilots, apparently) find something needs to be fixed, he will fix it if he can within the sim's SDK limitations.

Al

Edited by ark

So, there is the mod in flightsim.to and the one available through Discord, correct?

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

12 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

So, there is the mod in flightsim.to and the one available through Discord, correct?

The only mod I'm aware of is the one at the link on the previous page of this thread.

Al

Edited by ark

7 minutes ago, ark said:

The only mod I've seen reported is the one above on the previous page of this thread.

Al

This is the other one: https://flightsim.to/file/26513/ccm-s-definitely-wrong-kodiak-flight-model-mod

Edited by ricka47
  • Like 1

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

That is not true. I have flown both ILS and Rnav approaches with the AP, for aove 100 approaches, have not had one problem. 

I have flown a few ILS approach and I agree that the Kodiak (or the G1000 I don't know) is not handling the localiser well, it is constantly going too far left and then correcting and going too far right and so on. I had to disconnect the AP because the plane was never aligned and was making "S" all the way.

I still appreciate very much the Kodiak but there is indeed an issue with ILS approach.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Bdub22 said:

Care to share who this reputable source is?

SWS Discord channel. 

This is what he posted when asked about the Mod

"I know of it. My problem with that FM is that CCM is not making this mod to improve the Kodiak but to promote his twitch channel while bashing us. He has said on stream that he's biased against SWS and yet when the Kodiak first came out it was all he was flying -to bash it and get views.

All said, our FM has flaws but it has been checked out by type-rated pilots, factory and non-factory. If his FM makes the plane feel better for some people, it is totally fine..

I wonder how many hours in the Kodiak  the person that made this mod has? 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 minutes ago, Bushido5 said:

I have flown a few ILS approach and I agree that the Kodiak (or the G1000 I don't know) is not handling the localiser well, it is constantly going too far left and then correcting and going too far right and so on. I had to disconnect the AP because the plane was never aligned and was making "S" all the way.

I still appreciate very much the Kodiak but there is indeed an issue with ILS approach.

Are you using the default G1000 or the NXI? I have no S turning on the ILS or Rnav approaches, so it sound like you have something not right with your installation. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

44 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

Because I know who made the mod and he kept it for his discord only. He didn't even publish on flightsim.to. he's not interested in grinding an axe against SWS. His point of view is based on the thousands of hours as a pilot and I agree with him that version 1.0 has defying the law of physics on STOL takeoff. his mod was for taming the excessive p-torque and lift that was no way close to reality.  He did it  because SWS refuse to listen to his feedback only to release a fix a few weeks later admitting they are wrong.  Before you start attacking people for no reason maybe you should get better sources.

So does the most recent version of the Kodiak have the updated FM?

Former Child, Current Adult

Just now, liamp51 said:

So does the most recent version of the Kodiak have the updated FM?

they did update some values in the aircraft.cfg. They cut the p-torque in half. So much for the "Real pilot has approved the FM". Either way. I see he posted it on flightsim.to now. So people can make their own judgement about it.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

1 minute ago, fogboundturtle said:

they did update some values in the aircraft.cfg. They cut the p-torque in half. So much for the "Real pilot has approved the FM". Either way. I see he posted it on flightsim.to now. So people can make their own judgement about it.

I just want the most realistic FM. I'll give the Flightsim.to one a try after work. What are you flying it with? 

Former Child, Current Adult

People are talking about two different mods here. I linked the one from the official forums. 

17 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

SWS Discord channel. 

This is what he posted when asked about the Mod

"I know of it. My problem with that FM is that CCM is not making this mod to improve the Kodiak but to promote his twitch channel while bashing us. He has said on stream that he's biased against SWS and yet when the Kodiak first came out it was all he was flying -to bash it and get views.

All said, our FM has flaws but it has been checked out by type-rated pilots, factory and non-factory. If his FM makes the plane feel better for some people, it is totally fine..

I wonder how many hours in the Kodiak  the person that made this mod has? 

He's the reality, SWS has a really bad attitude towards people that points out flaw in their FM. There is an history about another aircraft they have done where SWS basically refuse to acknowledge that adding flaps should not remove lift but adding lift. This is how it all started. CCM has nothing against SWS has believe it or not, he has created mods to fix the issue and keep flying these aircraft as a customer. He bought these aircraft and it's opinion as a real world pilot that certain behavior were defying the law of physics.  SWS has not been known to be kind to anyone criticizing their work. That's on them because if they would have taken a "we are listening to feedback" approach, I don't think there would be any drama. But this if flight sim and this is drama. 

Now that the mods is out for everyone to enjoy (it was private before), You can make your own assessment. If you prefer the default SWS FM behavior, use that, if you prefer CCM version of it do that. There is no issue here but SWS pouring oil on the fire because they don't like people pointing out flaws.

• Like 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Does anyone know if these two mods are by the same person, and if so, does one include the other, or are they different mods?  If different mods, do they conflict with each other?

Thanks,

Al

https://flightsim.to/file/26513/ccm-s-definitely-wrong-kodiak-flight-model-mod

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/kodiak-problems-in-ap-with-ils-and-rnav/484195/94

Edited by ark
  • Like 1

Honestly Im so happy with this bird the way it is I dont see any reason to go poopin' around with it.  I fly it every day in all kinds of different loadouts with NeoFly and havent even added any liveries, which is a first for me. 

Edited by Stoopy
  • Like 1

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!