Sign in to follow this  
V1ROTA7E

Kodiak Review Thread

I have been in icing conditions several times and other than windshield and windows  visually I didn't see it anywhere else on the airframe. However, I noticed Kodiak behavior changes due to structural icing even though I couldn't see it. So If you guys able to get wing iced up please let me know. May be my icing experience wasn't  hardcore enough!

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

A silly question: just in front in the middle near the front window is a device with green led lights, is that a seat height reference?  And is it supposed to work? I only see lights when moving very close to it (also the autopilot button lights appear only when closer than where I sit in VR)

MS FS 2020 | I9-13900K@5.8 GHZ  | 64 GB DDR5 4800mhz |  ASUS TUF RTX 4090 O24G Gaming   | HP Reverb G2 | Navigraph | VATSIM | TPR Pedals | Virpil collective & stick | Honeycomb | 2023: Real life RPL MLA microlight trainee (Ikarus C42CS)

8 minutes ago, Rene_Feijen said:

A silly question: just in front in the middle near the front window is a device with green led lights, is that a seat height reference?  And is it supposed to work? I only see lights when moving very close to it (also the autopilot button lights appear only when closer than where I sit in VR)

That is an angle of attack indicator, moving from green into yellow mean angle of attack is increasing, red means you are approaching stall. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

23 minutes ago, Rene_Feijen said:

I only see lights when moving very close to it (

There's a problem it seems with the light distance visibility for one or two things. The oxygen lights also disappear when the view is back a bit. 

11 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

That is an angle of attack indicator, moving from green into yellow mean angle of attack is increasing, red means you are approaching stall. 

Aha, never saw red, only green 2 or 3 dots, or a green dotted cross, Strange that is nowhere mentioned in the manual. Also not in a real world manual I found.

Edited by Rene_Feijen

MS FS 2020 | I9-13900K@5.8 GHZ  | 64 GB DDR5 4800mhz |  ASUS TUF RTX 4090 O24G Gaming   | HP Reverb G2 | Navigraph | VATSIM | TPR Pedals | Virpil collective & stick | Honeycomb | 2023: Real life RPL MLA microlight trainee (Ikarus C42CS)

2 hours ago, Rene_Feijen said:

Aha, never saw red, only green 2 or 3 dots, or a green dotted cross, Strange that is nowhere mentioned in the manual. Also not in a real world manual I found.

I believe that AoA indicator is from the company Safe Flight. So it's an aftermarket installation (also includes a separate stall warning vane).

That's why you would not find it in a real Kodiak Manual, because it's not part of standard equipment.

• Like 2

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

Thanks SAS443.  More info here:

Initially assumed  it was a seat positioning thing, then realised it was changing in flight and wondered if was an AoA indexer - F16 style lights was first thing that sprung to mind - good to see this sort of tech in general aviation (albeit std in the A5 too)

5 hours ago, Rene_Feijen said:

Pull the power off, and raise the pitch to around 15 degrees, and you will see the red light come on right before the stall. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 hours ago, RobF2 said:

Initially assumed  it was a seat positioning thing, then realised it was changing in flight and wondered if was an AoA indexer - F16 style lights was first thing that sprung to mind - good to see this sort of tech in general aviation (albeit std in the A5 too)

The Icon aircraft has an AOA gauge as standard equipment. 

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Pull the power off, and raise the pitch to around 15 degrees, and you will see the red light come on right before the stall. 

Will try!

7 hours ago, RobF2 said:

Aside from its primary function as an AoA indicator, it can also be employed as a makeshift level bombing sight similar to what's shown in this video. Just use the indicator LED's for targeting height alignment prior to jettisoning the cargo pod contents over the objective.

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

Want to test out your Bush piloting skills..  Download these Bush strips that the Missionary Pilot uses.  Program a flight from AYDY to AYYZ. You will have to do this in MSFS, because these airports won't show up on Skyvector or Simbrief. Just do a GPS from one to the other. Good luck on departure. 

https://flightsim.to/file/18898/png-bush-strips-mega-pack-su5

• Like 3

On 1/5/2022 at 4:48 AM, sd_flyer said:

I have been in icing conditions several times and other than windshield and windows  visually I didn't see it anywhere else on the airframe. However, I noticed Kodiak behavior changes due to structural icing even though I couldn't see it. So If you guys able to get wing iced up please let me know. May be my icing experience wasn't  hardcore enough!

It's the same for me here. I don't get any ice build up at all, regardless of the condition, clouds, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ParaMan said:

It's the same for me here. I don't get any ice build up at all, regardless of the condition, clouds, etc.

I talked to developers they set in developer version the tested with weather preset and it was iced up from top to bottom. Perhaps it's live weather problem at the moment. In any ways if you guys let developer  know I think it's what a better good. They may contact Asobo and let them know.

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

6 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

I talked to developers they set in developer version the tested with weather preset and it was iced up from top to bottom. Perhaps it's live weather problem at the moment. In any ways if you guys let developer  know I think it's what a better good. They may contact Asobo and let them know.

Yeah it's not a huge problem for me at the moment cause I fly mostly in Australia. If it's still an issue after the next update it'll look into it more then. Live weather doesn't seem to be an issue for me though.